Keeper league questions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeper league questions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper league questions

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:17 am

I've never done a keeper league before, so I wanted some input on a few things.

I'm trying to get a couple of the leagues I comish to convert to a keeper format, using players from this years teams. What do I do with players on teams for owners who decide not to return? Do I put them into the draft pool, or have another owner take over the team and let them make the decision?

How do you handle trades? Do you allow trading of draft picks for players or just draft pick for draft pick?

I was thinking of handling the draft like this: All teams submit their keepers to me a week for the draft. Once all teams have submitted their keepers, I'd post a a list of the keepers and the draft order. Am I missing anything or am I setting myself up for a mistake?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper league questions

Postby Buckychudd » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:25 am

KingGhidra wrote:I'm trying to get a couple of the leagues I comish to convert to a keeper format, using players from this years teams. What do I do with players on teams for owners who decide not to return? Do I put them into the draft pool, or have another owner take over the team and let them make the decision?

Unless you told people at the start of this season that it was going to be a keeper, I wouldn't try to do it with this year's players. If you are going to start a new keeper league, you have to announce before the first draft. Drafting for keeper leagues is a different proposition, and requires a different strategy than one-off leagues.....don't convert current players.

I also wouldn't advise doing a keeper league with guys who aren't committed. Keeper leagues are a long haul, you don't want guys dropping out every year.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Gunslinger » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:20 am

Buckychudd wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:I'm trying to get a couple of the leagues I comish to convert to a keeper format, using players from this years teams. What do I do with players on teams for owners who decide not to return? Do I put them into the draft pool, or have another owner take over the team and let them make the decision?

Unless you told people at the start of this season that it was going to be a keeper, I wouldn't try to do it with this year's players. If you are going to start a new keeper league, you have to announce before the first draft. Drafting for keeper leagues is a different proposition, and requires a different strategy than one-off leagues.....don't convert current players.

I also wouldn't advise doing a keeper league with guys who aren't committed. Keeper leagues are a long haul, you don't want guys dropping out every year.

Two excellent points. I'd start with the owners in you current leagues and ask who would be interested in starting a keeper league next season but it should be a new draft so everyone can draft accordingly. And while it's not too hard to find new owners for abandoned teams, it's MUCH more fun if you can find a group of owners that will stick with it.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:51 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
How do you handle trades? Do you allow trading of draft picks for players or just draft pick for draft pick?

Still need an answer to this...
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:56 pm

KingGhidra wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:

Still need an answer to this...

Yes, I traded somebody a guy for his first pick in next year's draft. I wouldn't advise somebody doing it because you will miss out on the best players, but I think it should be allowed.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby tjhksig » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:36 am

The way we do trades is you can trade picks, but your first keeper is your 1st round pick, 2nd keeper 2nd round pick, up to the 3rd keeper. So you can trade picks, but likely the 'first' pick you have will be in the 4th round after the top 30 guys are gone.
tjhksig
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Plindsey88 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:07 am

I just joined an all-star league with folks from the cafe... I think we are just gonna allow people to keep a certain number of players, and the future drafts will go as normal, just with kept players not available...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:20 pm

yeah another question...

10 team keeper league with 2 owners not returning next season. How do I handle getting replacements for them? Should I just assign 2 new coaches arbitrarily to a team, or have them rock paper scissors for their choice or...?
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:47 pm

If you're going to allow trading players for picks, I'd put an early deadline on it.

Would suck for someone to start trading away their studs for future picks once they know they're out of the playoff hunt, and hence unbalanced the current year's playoffs.

All this keeper stuff sounds like loads of fun, I just haven't been able to find any leagues that looked like they were going to be around for a while to join.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:39 am

These two teams will be available after this season:

[team 1]
QB McNair, Steve
WR Toomer, Amani
WR Driver, Donald
RB Portis, Clinton