Re-do: The 2010 Dynasty Rookie Draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Re-do: The 2010 Dynasty Rookie Draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re-do: The 2010 Dynasty Rookie Draft

Postby biju » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 am

Inspired by an article I saw on the Sports Illustrated site which did a full "redux" of the first round of the 2010 draft (found here) I was wondering what the first round of a dynasty draft would look like.

My quick and dirty version would look like this:

1. Dez Bryant
2. Mike Williams
3. Jahvid Best
4. LeGarrette Blount
5. Sam Bradford
6. Ryan Mathews
7. Colt McCoy
8. Chris Ivory
9. Jimmy Graham
10. Jacoby Ford
11. Tony Moeaki
12. Aaron Hernandez/Rob Gronkowski

I know that lots of these WRs will come out in the next two years and this will change, but based on what we've seen so far I think this is a decent starting spot.

Thoughts?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Re-do: The 2010 Dynasty Rookie Draft

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:07 pm

I think I actually agree with your whole top 12 (unless I'm forgetting someone off the top of my head), but I'd change the order to look like this:

1. Dez Bryant
2. Mike Williams
3. LeGarrette Blount
4. Sam Bradford
5. Jahvid Best
6. Ryan Mathews
7. Jacoby Ford
8. Chris Ivory
9. Colt McCoy
T-10. Hernandez/Gronk/Moeaki/Graham
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:43 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:I think I actually agree with your whole top 12 (unless I'm forgetting someone off the top of my head), but I'd change the order to look like this:

1. Dez Bryant
2. Mike Williams
3. LeGarrette Blount
4. Sam Bradford
5. Jahvid Best
6. Ryan Mathews
7. Jacoby Ford
8. Chris Ivory
9. Colt McCoy
T-10. Hernandez/Gronk/Moeaki/Graham

Interesting. I like it.

I had a tough time with putting that many TEs in the first round, but nobody else has really made their presence felt. I'm still not certain I can put Best under Blount though; Best has been injured since about week 2 and still has more yards from scrimmage than Blount. I have a feeling the offseason will help Best tremendously.

I also had a (mildly) tough time putting Ivory in there because he seems to be doing well because of circumstance (Thomas and Bush getting injured at the same time), although he could easily make the Saints think twice about re-signing Thomas and/or keeping Bush on for the amount of money he'll make next year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:56 am

I think my biggest gripe about these lists is putting 3 or 4 TEs over Spiller and Demaryius. I would definitely put Blount over Best- while he lacks Best's game-breaking skill, I much value the reduced injury concerns. The lack of RB competition and better o-line seals it, for me. Also a believer in Ivory- would seriously consider ranking him above Mathews.

On another note, at first all I saw was the Seahawks logo, so it seemed one person was conversating with their self. Ha- the quoting of one self in an apparent conversation was bizarre.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby biju » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:04 am

Kareighuis wrote:I think my biggest gripe about these lists is putting 3 or 4 TEs over Spiller and Demaryius. I would definitely put Blount over Best- while he lacks Best's game-breaking skill, I much value the reduced injury concerns. The lack of RB competition and better o-line seals it, for me. Also a believer in Ivory- would seriously consider ranking him above Mathews.

On another note, at first all I saw was the Seahawks logo, so it seemed one person was conversating with their self. Ha- the quoting of one self in an apparent conversation was bizarre.

Obviously this is based only on year one so things will change, but as of right now Spiller isn't looking good from both a situation point of view or from a talent point of view. He's only averaged 3.8 YPC and was only able to convince the OC to rest Fred Jackson for 68 carries--that's not too good. Furthermore, it was his speed that supposedly put him in the elite, but his long run is for 20 yards. I think Julius Jones has a longer run than that. Heck, Julius Jones might have more carries too...

Demaryius Thomas is different. He has talent but his route running skills are holding him back, so until that changes he'll likely not have as big of an impact as he could.

I could see other players surpassing the TEs valule as well, such as Dexter McCluster or even Golden Tate. Heck, David Nelson has caught a TD in each of his last 3 games and with a 6' 5" frame I can imagine he'll be a red zone target going forward, so he could be up there...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:01 pm

biju wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:I think my biggest gripe about these lists is putting 3 or 4 TEs over Spiller and Demaryius. I would definitely put Blount over Best- while he lacks Best's game-breaking skill, I much value the reduced injury concerns. The lack of RB competition and better o-line seals it, for me. Also a believer in Ivory- would seriously consider ranking him above Mathews.

Obviously this is based only on year one so things will change, but as of right now Spiller isn't looking good from both a situation point of view or from a talent point of view. He's only averaged 3.8 YPC and was only able to convince the OC to rest Fred Jackson for 68 carries--that's not too good. Furthermore, it was his speed that supposedly put him in the elite, but his long run is for 20 yards. I think Julius Jones has a longer run than that. Heck, Julius Jones might have more carries too...

Demaryius Thomas is different. He has talent but his route running skills are holding him back, so until that changes he'll likely not have as big of an impact as he could.

Ah. I thought it was more like doing a dynasty draft enlightened by a player's 1st year. So, while those two guys didn't perform to their hypers' expectations, I can imagine ppl will still believe in them long-term. While they both had pre-NFL questions, neither's 2009 performance has convincingly shown that they can't make it in the NFL.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Football Talk