Panthers clinch! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Panthers clinch!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Panthers clinch!

Postby The Lung » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:57 am

The Carolina Panthers are on the clock with the No. 1 pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Carolina, currently 2-13, has secured the worst record in football regardless of the outcome of their Week 17 game against the Atlanta Falcons. Carolina lost on Thursday against the Pittsburgh Steelers 27-3; add that loss with wins by Denver and Cincinnati, who are both now 4-11 and Carolina is now ensured to have the worst record in the NFL and the No. 1 pick.

Who do they draft?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Panthers clinch!

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:50 pm

There is no way I can see them invest more money into the QB position
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Adam Schefter seems to think Andrew Luck, but I have no idea b/c I don't follow college ball.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:14 pm

I don't think investing a 2nd rounder is too much of an investment to rule out Luck (if he declares). As a matter of fact, I suspect the Panthers will have a new coaching staff in 2011 so it's quite likely the new regime will want their own QB in place.

Clausen didn't really show enough to claim the spot in my eyes, but then again very few QBs have an immediate impact for their teams and start winning. My hope is that they don't take one, leaving more options for my Seahawks who *clearly* need a new QB.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:23 pm

biju wrote:I don't think investing a 2nd rounder is too much of an investment to rule out Luck (if he declares). As a matter of fact, I suspect the Panthers will have a new coaching staff in 2011 so it's quite likely the new regime will want their own QB in place.

Clausen didn't really show enough to claim the spot in my eyes, but then again very few QBs have an immediate impact for their teams and start winning. My hope is that they don't take one, leaving more options for my Seahawks who *clearly* need a new QB.

Do you think there's any shot at the Hawks nabbing Jake Locker (including them possibly trading up)?
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby biju » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:38 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:
biju wrote:I don't think investing a 2nd rounder is too much of an investment to rule out Luck (if he declares). As a matter of fact, I suspect the Panthers will have a new coaching staff in 2011 so it's quite likely the new regime will want their own QB in place.

Do you think there's any shot at the Hawks nabbing Jake Locker (including them possibly trading up)?

So much changes between now and the NFL draft that it's hard to speculate, but I don't think Locker did himself any favors by returning to school for one more year. Instead of being the #1 overall pick I believe he'll be around until about the 20th pick or so.

Of course, whether the Seahawks make the playoffs or not will mean the difference in having that option. If they lose and miss the playoffs, I think they are right around 10th pick (depending on a couple other games as well), but if they win they'll automatically be the 21st pick at the least (although I suspect they won't win that playoff game).

At #10 I think the Hawks have a great chance of getting one of the bigger named QBs this year. At #21 I think they *might* have a shot at Locker. All of this assumes however that Pete Carroll and John Schneider agree that Charlie Whitehurst is a stopgap in between Matt Hasselbeck and the new franchise QB is.

I sure hope they are thinking that way...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:28 pm

Throwing more money at the QB spot may not be an issue if they get the new CBA done and institute a rookie pay scale.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:20 pm

My guess is they may trade down. If there is a rookie salary cap teams may be much more willing to trade up because they won't have the burden of an outrageous early first round contract. Better to fill a couple holes than just one.
I hope whatever the Panthers do, they get it right. There is way too much garbage football in the NFL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby benb18a » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:23 pm

They need to draft the best RB available with that pick.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Holein1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:37 pm

love it....panther clinch 1st pick and luck comes out and says he has not decided to declare
Holein1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk