Eagles game wan an intentional lay down - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eagles game wan an intentional lay down

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eagles game wan an intentional lay down

Postby Maris09 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:21 pm

Chris Collinsworth just mentioned what I had been thinking since half time.

The Eagles wanted no part of battling hard this week, battling hard next week, and then possibly still not getting the 2 seed and bye week.
That would mean they'd have to then go play again Week 1 of the playoffs (probably Saturday), which would be 3 games in 12 days.
Can't make it through the playoffs like that.

So they lose this week, have an excuse to rest players next week since they're locked into the 3 seed, and then get to go into the playoffs fresh.
Shady, but that's what happened in my opinion.
Last edited by Maris09 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Eagles game smelled to high heaven tonight

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Terrible game too. Vick's TOs and the general terrible play of the Eagles offense cost me a championship with a choke job for the ages when I went into my final two days with Roddy, Colston, Vick and two solid IDPers down 41 points and couldn't get closer than 5.5 :,-( :~( !+)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Maris09 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 pm

It was intentional man.
There's no way a bad Vikings team with a rookie QB/WR comes into the house of one of the best teams in football and dominates them.
Not hangs with them, not just beats them...but dominates them.

This one was intentional all the way. No doubt about it.
They'd rather get a week off and have to play 3 games in the playoffs, then not get the bye and end up playing 3 games in 12 days.
That's the kiss of death.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bungle613 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:09 am

Maris09 wrote:It was intentional man.
There's no way a bad Vikings team with a rookie QB/WR comes into the house of one of the best teams in football and dominates them.

They'd rather get a week off and have to play 3 games in the playoffs, then not get the bye and end up playing 3 games in 12 days.

Why would Reid leave a dinged up Vick in the game if the intent was to lose? Why risk your QB even further if you want to lose?
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Eagles game wan an intentional lay down

Postby eagles21 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:31 am

It wasn't intentional. Our defense has been awful the whole season. Our O-line usually isn't too great, especially last night. Vick usually masks these facts, but when he has a bad game, this stuff becomes a lot more apparent. Vick needs to keep playing out of his mind in the playoffs, because the defense isn't going to win us any games this year.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:27 am

eagles21 wrote:It wasn't intentional. Our defense has been awful the whole season. Our O-line usually isn't too great, especially last night. Vick usually masks these facts, but when he has a bad game, this stuff becomes a lot more apparent. Vick needs to keep playing out of his mind in the playoffs, because the defense isn't going to win us any games this year.

This. I don't think it was intentional either. The Eagles won't go anywhere with the way they play defense; however, don't the Eagles have like 7 guys on the IR from the starting defense? This team defense is going to be scary good next year if they can all stay healthy.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Maris09 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:31 am

bungle613 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:It was intentional man.

Why would Reid leave a dinged up Vick in the game if the intent was to lose? Why risk your QB even further if you want to lose?

Was he though?
Was he reeeeeally? :)

Na I don't know. I'm mostly joking, but it did seem like this situation was a little sketchy to me.
And it sure makes sense for them to play it like that.
Guaranteed bye week in week 17, vs potentially playing 3 tough games in 12 days.
How else does a piss poor team go on the road with a rookie QB and dominate?
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Maris09 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Bottom line is Goodell is a chump.

The guy moves the game to Sunday night in order to get Vick on primetime, thus making the whole storm issue an even bigger danger because of people having to drive at night in that mess.

So to cover his own ass he moves the game again, not to Monday night because then they couldn't make those precious TV dollars, but to Tuesday night (first time in forever there's been a Tuesday game).

At that point Philly wants no part of playing Tuesday, then again on a super short week next Sunday, and then potentially again on another short week the following Saturday in the playoffs. They'd have no chance at going far in the playoffs like that.

Seems shady to me. I even remember them showing Andy Reid making some weird faces at Vick from the sideline. Looking at Vick and shaking his head no, but trying not to be obvious about it. I dunno, I know it sounds crazy, but I really think that's what happened.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby teezy33 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:29 pm

I could buy the lay down argument, but deep down I don't see it. If it was really a lay down Reid would have given some guys a rest in this game (esp. Vick), and judging by his post game comments, he seemed pretty pissed about everything because I think he was really looking for that #2 seed. There's no way he wants to go back into Chicago to play the Bears again if he had a chance to get a bye and play them at home I think he would play for it. Truth is the D is paper thin right now over the middle with Bradley out, and our secondary is paper thin as well with the exception being Asante, who's more of a ball hawk than a shut down corner anyway. And we just lost one of our better pass rushers in Trevor Laws in the game too, which makes things even thinner going into the playoffs...

On the other side of the ball, the O line is just awful right now in pass protection (and we'd all notice it a LOT more if Kolb was under center, because he can't scramble the way Vick can and Vick is even taking his share of licks). IMO the Birds might need to lean a bit more on the run in the playoffs if they're going to have success, and they've got two solid backs that can carry the load (it should keep their defense off the field and set up the air game quite nicely, but it remains to be seen if Andy can commit himself to 25+ run plays in a game). No, I don't think the game was a flop, I think some of those guys just couldn't get things going on Tuesday, they came out flat from the start, and the Vikes came out ready to play. That defense is still decent enough where they can have their good days, and they had one on Tuesday night (which is the stupidest effing thing I've ever heard of - the Comish really tried to butt plug the Birds with that move, which only strengthens my theory that the NFL is rigged...it's all about the Benjamin's baby...
teezy33
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Munboy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:33 pm

um.....#2 seed gets a first round bye........................................... :-?

Why not fight for it?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk