Things to watch for the 2011 season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Things to watch for the 2011 season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Things to watch for the 2011 season

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:19 am

I'm going to watch franchises moves to see where value may lie, both in terms of 2011 drafts and for potential targets for dynasty/keeper trades. Some ideas-

NYG WRs- Nicks has vaulted into top-10 status, but a bunch of questions linger for the other WR spot. Steve Smith is a good possession WR, but his injury puts his availability for the 2011 season (assuming it starts at the normal time) in doubt. Manningham is young (3rd yr) and the FO has been high on him. He's stepped up in Smith's stead. Could that encourage the Giants to let Smith walk? 2 game-breaking WRs could make Eli a value, despite the repeated "WTH?!" ints.

WAS WRs- Moss is a FA this offseason. Shanahan has a history of uncovering gems. In Denver, he released veteran WRs when he saw what Rod Smith could do. In the 2010 preseason, he (reportedly) told Malcolm Kelly he'd make him an offensive focus. In contrast, Shanahan cut Devin Thomas, another 2nd rounder from the same draft class. An untimely injury forced Kelly to IR. If Moss is allowed to sign elsewhere (who knows how the McNabb situation impacts that), Kelly could be thrust into the WR1 spot. A high draft pick and the owner's active wallet could be alternate sources of WR-improvement.

Miami RBs- Brown's a FA who's expressed a desire to return. Williams is also a FA. Leading up to the 2010 draft, reports floated that the team was trying to move up to get Spiller.

Ten QB- Kenny Britt has shown he can produce with a below-adequate QB under center- when YiYo's there, his production takes a hit. Will Vince Young be given the starting spot next year? What other QBs will be rostered?

GB WR2- Will Driver finally ride off? Will James Jones' superior talent outshine his suspect hands and give him the leg up on the technician Jordy Nelson?

Ari WRs- Rumors randomly floated around recently about Fitz being traded this coming offseason, possibly by request. If he is, their problems with finding a permanent wingman (both Breaston and Doucet have struggled with injuries) will be magnified.

Some franchises have coaching questions (Ten, Hou, Jax, Mia, Den) while others have many moving parts (Cincy, SF, Carolina).
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Things to watch for the 2011 season

Postby Guru13 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:14 pm

In a dynasty I'd love to have any of the young guys on Tampa's offense. Freeman so rarely turns the ball over, and the higher TD totals will come - all kinds of weapons. Just looks like a really good situation to me.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:16 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:In a dynasty I'd love to have any of the young guys on Tampa's offense. Freeman so rarely turns the ball over, and the higher TD totals will come - all kinds of weapons. Just looks like a really good situation to me.

Absolutely. Due to some cajoling from LS2, I'm very happy with Mike Williams as my WR3 (or 4) in a dynasty. I also picked up Freeman, who actually outscored Matt Ryan.

In TB, I'm interested in who takes the WR2 spot to slack coverage away from Williams. Sammie Stroughter had the early role, due to rookie Arrelious Benn's struggles. Benn started turning it around mid-season, but then got injured and went on IR. They grabbed rookie Dezmon Briscoe off Cincinnati's practice squad early in the season and started the 1st game with Benn out.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby bungle613 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:59 am

The Oakland Raiders. I got laughed at for predicting an 8-8 season and they are close. Jacoby Ford, DMac, Murphy, Bush along with a capable QB and this team can put up solid FF numbers. Maybe not elite but solid numbers.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:54 pm

bungle613 wrote:The Oakland Raiders. I got laughed at for predicting an 8-8 season and they are close. Jacoby Ford, DMac, Murphy, Bush along with a capable QB and this team can put up solid FF numbers. Maybe not elite but solid numbers.

Is Bush a FA next season?
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:35 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
bungle613 wrote:The Oakland Raiders. I got laughed at for predicting an 8-8 season and they are close. Jacoby Ford, DMac, Murphy, Bush along with a capable QB and this team can put up solid FF numbers. Maybe not elite but solid numbers.

Is Bush a FA next season?

I agreed with Oakland being more competitive this season, but unexpected coaching decisions (like relying on a pass-heavy attack against Indy) and injuries (ZMill out a while and the QB carousel) robbed them of at least 1 win.

Yes, Bush a FA next year.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:05 am

Should the Lions QB Stafford stay healthy Megatron and Pettigrew should make a deadly duo. Calvin Johnson would emerge as the undisputed top WR in the game and Pettigrew could be a top 5 TE.
Roy Williams will be an under-achiever again next year, but prolly not for the Cowboys. Don't know how they could justify keeping him on the team at his pay scale with Austin, Witten, and Bryant on the roster.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bungle613 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:51 am

moochman wrote:Should the Lions QB Stafford stay healthy Megatron and Pettigrew should make a deadly duo. Calvin Johnson would emerge as the undisputed top WR in the game and Pettigrew could be a top 5 TE.
Roy Williams will be an under-achiever again next year, but prolly not for the Cowboys. Don't know how they could justify keeping him on the team at his pay scale with Austin, Witten, and Bryant on the roster.

Agreed, I love the potential of Stafford, MEGA and Pettigrew. Now, add some pieces to the O-line and fix the run game and this team could be fun to watch.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:39 pm

bungle613 wrote:
moochman wrote:Should the Lions QB Stafford stay healthy Megatron and Pettigrew should make a deadly duo. Calvin Johnson would emerge as the undisputed top WR in the game and Pettigrew could be a top 5 TE.

Agreed, I love the potential of Stafford, MEGA and Pettigrew. Now, add some pieces to the O-line and fix the run game and this team could be fun to watch.

Ditto - Detroit is a different team when Stafford is healthy. No one expected much from Pettigrew the first half of the season due to his injury, but he quietly set the Lions single season record for receptions & yards by a TE.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:10 pm

bungle613 wrote:I love the potential of Stafford, MEGA and Pettigrew. Now, add some pieces to the O-line and fix the run game and this team could be fun to watch.

What do you think the running game needs to be fixed?

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk