Things to watch for the 2011 season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Things to watch for the 2011 season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Things to watch for the 2011 season

Postby bungle613 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:03 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
bungle613 wrote:I love the potential of Stafford, MEGA and Pettigrew. Now, add some pieces to the O-line and fix the run game and this team could be fun to watch.

What do you think the running game needs to be fixed?

Because Best is a 3rd down injury prone back that will never carry the load and behind him they only have Morris and Brown. They get a back to keep defences honest and the passing game will open up even more allowing Stafford to mature into a great QB. But, get a couple more guys on the O-line and maybe the run game can wait until next year. I would like to see them take a shot on DWill.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:43 pm

bungle613 wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:
bungle613 wrote:I love the potential of Stafford, MEGA and Pettigrew. Now, add some pieces to the O-line and fix the run game and this team could be fun to watch.

What do you think the running game needs to be fixed?

Because Best is a 3rd down injury prone back that will never carry the load and behind him they only have Morris and Brown. They get a back to keep defences honest and the passing game will open up even more allowing Stafford to mature into a great QB. But, get a couple more guys on the O-line and maybe the run game can wait until next year. I would like to see them take a shot on DWill.

You may also note that Morris, for as effective as he has been the last few weeks, is taking a beating. Not likely he would be able to carry the load should Best's next injury prevent him from playing. So the Lions backfield features not one QB or RB that shows the ability to stay healthy.
Ah, lets just hope that this is just my Lions fan black cloud talking.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:04 pm

i like what Owen Daniels did down the stretch (22 rec, 271 yds, 2 TD on 37 Targets) over the last 4 weeks (last 2 without AJ though)
seems like he finally got healthy and could be a bargain at TE, especially in PPR
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby u_fig_eater » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:59 pm

This is not exactly in-line with the thread topic, but next year I am targeting big, physical players. This will especially be so if they go to an 18-game season. At WR, this would be guys like Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Bowe, Marques Colston, and Mike Williams (either one). My other focus will be on guys who get targets/carries in the red zone.

Obviously with a longer season, there will be greater chance for injuries, and I'm hoping that bigger guys will be more immune (ironically, the WRs I mentioned have had injury issues, but still). I am also guessing that a longer season will cause coaches to rely even more on RBBC, hence the increased value of goal-line backs. Luckily bigger guys tend to get more red zone looks. This will be a change for me because I have targeted nimble pass-catching RBs the past few years (Pierre Thomas, Jamaal Charles, Lesean McCoy, etc). "Value" RBs on my radar are Tolbert (pending what role Ryan Mathews will have) and LeGarrette Blount.

More in-line with the thread topic:

SD RB situation. Tolbert (11) and Mathews (7) combined for 18 TDs. Compare to Brandon Jacobs (9) and Ahmad Bradshaw(8). Tolbert filled in admirably for Mathews when he was hurt (and was productive otherwise), but media reports suggest Mathews is the future stud. Reports also suggest Mathews struggles in the end zone (I don't know the accuracy of this). Lots of value in this high power offense, but if Tolbert gets his share, then he could be a steal.

Steven Jackson. He had 376 total touches, will his body hold up next year? STL is definitely improving. He's sure to have value based on the sheer number of touches, but will his body hold up?
Last edited by u_fig_eater on Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Stelly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:22 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:Steven Jackson. He had 376 total touches, will his body hold up next year? STL is definitely improving. He's sure to have value based on the sheer number of touches, but will his body hold up?

Seems like this is "Things to watch for the 2005-2013 season." :-b
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:13 pm

while we are on the subject of possible keeper/dynasty WR's.... what about CIN's Jerome Simpson? Was an absolute beast statistically the last two games but was that mostly due to TO/ochostinko falling down the depth chart or is the guy a legit talent?
Amazing Oopah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:27 am

bungle613 wrote:Best is a 3rd down injury prone back that will never carry the load and behind him they only have Morris and Brown. They get a back to keep defences honest and the passing game will open up even more allowing Stafford to mature into a great QB. But, get a couple more guys on the O-line and maybe the run game can wait until next year. I would like to see them take a shot on DWill.

moochman wrote:You may also note that Morris, for as effective as he has been the last few weeks, is taking a beating. Not likely he would be able to carry the load should Best's next injury prevent him from playing. So the Lions backfield features not one QB or RB that shows the ability to stay healthy.

I agree about Best's inadequacy as a bellcow back. I'd be surprised if DWill took Detroit's money, if even their contract was competitive.

Best had a history of injuries in college. I'm kinda confused how to interpret Stafford's problems, though. He doesn't have nearly the issues that Best does. Is it fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me? Is Stafford the opposite of All Day, who's college injury history suddenly disappeared in the NFL?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:42 am

u_fig_eater wrote:SD RB situation. Tolbert (11) and Mathews (7) combined for 18 TDs. Compare to Brandon Jacobs (9) and Ahmad Bradshaw(8). Tolbert filled in admirably for Mathews when he was hurt (and was productive otherwise), but media reports suggest Mathews is the future stud. Reports also suggest Mathews struggles in the end zone (I don't know the accuracy of this). Lots of value in this high power offense, but if Tolbert gets his share, then he could be a steal.

I'm curious who's ADP will be lower. Whoever it is, I might end up targeting them.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:17 am

Amazing Oopah wrote:while we are on the subject of possible keeper/dynasty WR's.... what about CIN's Jerome Simpson? Was an absolute beast statistically the last two games but was that mostly due to TO/ochostinko falling down the depth chart or is the guy a legit talent?

I have several fleaflicker leagues. A recent featured article there- "Fantasy Football Value Shifts for 2011 Season"

A number of players are addressed, including Jerome Simpson. A quote: "Cincinnati should definitely feel comfortable letting both big-name receivers walk and putting Simpson in as the featured guy in the passing game. If that happens, he'll be one of 2011's biggest sleepers."
On the flip side, Cincy reached for him as a 2nd rounder 3 years ago as they prepared for life after Housh and (then-)Johnson. He's been underwhelming for the grand majority of his NFL career. As the article notes, he's had 3 receptions for 32 yards before the last two games. This year, his hold on a roster spot was tenuous- in early September, it came down to Simpson, Dez Briscoe and Quan Cosby for the final two WR spots. Two weeks ago, all he'd shown was he was fast.

Having said all that, if TO and Ocho aren't there, Simpson has value. My concern is that, if Cincy goes for a complete offensive makeover, Palmer and Marvin Lewis could be gone also. A rookie QB throwing to a WR with 2 good games in 3 years- I likely won't be willing to pay that ADP price.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Best is a 3rd down injury prone back that will never carry the load and behind him they only have Morris and Brown. They get a back to keep defences honest and the passing game will open up even more allowing Stafford to mature into a great QB. But, get a couple more guys on the O-line and maybe the run game can wait until next year. I would like to see them take a shot on DWill.

moochman wrote:You may also note that Morris, for as effective as he has been the last few weeks, is taking a beating. Not likely he would be able to carry the load should Best's next injury prevent him from playing. So the Lions backfield features not one QB or RB that shows the ability to stay healthy.

I agree about Best's inadequacy as a bellcow back. I'd be surprised if DWill took Detroit's money, if even their contract was competitive.

Best had a history of injuries in college. I'm kinda confused how to interpret Stafford's problems, though. He doesn't have nearly the issues that Best does. Is it fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me? Is Stafford the opposite of All Day, who's college injury history suddenly disappeared in the NFL?

I can't envision Stafford not getting hurt. He seems to lack pocket presence, leaving himself open to blind-side shots that injure. Hope he can learn to protect himself better, Lions need him healthy all season so they can see what they have.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk