Grooming in Championship Game - Collusion? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Grooming in Championship Game - Collusion?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Grooming in Championship Game - Collusion?

Postby clarkevii » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:10 pm

First of all I want to thank all of you Fantasy Football Cafe Owner's. This is the first year I used this site for fantasy advice and I went 12 - 1 and wound up in my 16 team league Championship game! Anyway I wanted to pose this situation to y'all because I want to know if you think it's collusion.

I'm the #1 seed in the championship game playing the #2 seed. The number two seed is a very capable owner who has played for a long time and has even won our league before. My team BARELY loses to his but after the championship game he starts to brag on the league message boards. It turns out our commissioner was offering him (unsolicited) advice and convinced him to start Adrian Peterson in his flex and play Matt Cassel at QB. Turns out both these moves sealed my fate. There is a $100 buy in league and I still walk away with some money but MUCH less.

Now - Should I just forget about this... or do I have a reason to be PO
16 Team w/ Flex, Non-ppr, All TDs 6

QB - Stafford, Cutler
RB - MJD, Best, Lynch, D. Carter
WR - Nicks, Britt, Benn, D. Moore
TE - Graham
K - Henery
D - Jets
clarkevii
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Grooming in Championship Game - Collusion?

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:43 pm

I think you are crazy if this bothers you. Do you look at experts rankings? Don't you use the cafe? Do you talk to your friends about fantasy football? Should be think you are colluding when doing this research? No and this shouldn't bother you.
BALCO All-Stars
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Not collusion. The commish is free to give advice and the owner is free to accept or refuse that advice. It isn't like the commish has inside information on who to start.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Agreed, not collusion. Those moves could have very well ended up biting him and causing him to lose. Now if the commish had traded a good player to the guy for a lesser player, and that better player sealed your fate I think you'd have a reason to complain. Just be proud that you finished 2nd and won some of your money back, it's better than being in last place and losing everything.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:28 am

Nothing wrong with that. Honestly, if this guy got the 2 seed and is, by your description, a pretty good owner, then I really wouldn't worry about someone else giving him advice, especially given that the person giving him advice did worse than him in the same league. I don't think it's any different than all of us giving you advice.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 am

i gave a guy advice last year as commish that ended up losing the championship for him. actually as i think about it...almost every time ive given advice or taken someone else's...its turned out poorly. just go w your gut
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Munboy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:50 am

Who wouldn't start AP in their flex?

At any rate, collusion would indicate an attempt on both sides, which you said yourself was not the case because the advice was unsolicited. Starting Matty C was a risk with him coming off surgery so its not like the dude got a free pass from the commish.

Sucks that you lost, but hey at least you got 2nd. ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:53 am

shawngee03 wrote: actually as i think about it...almost every time ive given advice ...its turned out poorly.

Same here, which is exactly why I don't post in sit/start, I feel bad at how wrong I am all the time. :-o

To the OP, nah nothing wrong with giving advice to people, be it in the same league or not. Sucks you missed out on the big money, but there's always next year (there's always next year, right, NFLPA?)
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby jdogg_ffc » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:11 am

It's really hard to get it all right unless you have a crystal ball. Like in my championship game which I won by the way (thank you all very much). I started Cooley who got 5pts over Tamme who got 13 pts. It's rather rare to get all the poss. points unless your bench is wretched which mine is not.

Starter *
QB-*A. Rodgers, J. Flacco
RB- *A. Foster, *M. Forte, A. Bradshaw, R. Torain, T. Jones
WR-*M. Austin, *Roddy White, *Mike Wallace, Mike Williams (TB), Santonio Holmes
Te-*Cooley, Tamme
K-*Vinatieri
D-*KC (play match-ups) Also I started the D. that played Carolina which didn't work out real well. Also I could have started Williams over White and got 6 more points. etc. But hey you roll with your studs.
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ABA316 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:58 am

Not collusion no. That said, maybe not the best move as commish to make though. Really better to not put oneself in that situation as commish.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner