How high are you willing to draft Vick next year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How high are you willing to draft Vick next year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How high are you willing to draft Vick next year?

Postby Opinion Ape » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:58 pm

I haven't noticed a thread on this, but apologies if there's a conversation on-going already...

Obviously, a lot can change between now and next season, but I'm just wondering how high people would be willing to take Vick in a redraft league next year? I've seen some talk on Rotoworld that he should be #1 overall. He carried me pretty far this year, and in frequently spectacular fashion, but I'm trying to lessen my man crush by remembering all the days in Atlanta when he broke my heart (often by having his ass broken). What do you all think?
Opinion Ape
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How high are you willing to draft Vick next year?

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:41 pm

I think wherever his ADP ends up it will be too high for my tastes. I'll let someone else take that risk.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:18 pm

I think the only way you have a meaningful discussion is to talk about where you would draft him among QBs. Otherwise, it will turn into the 84th debate this season about how early QBs should be drafted...I can't stomach another one of those threads.

So among QBs, I'm fairly comfortable with him. He has matured as a QB, he is not one-dimensional, and it seems Andy Reid has tweaked the system to fit his strengths. He's going to pass a ton, as Reid always has, and he has a ton of young talented playmakers that will boost his stats.

The downside is two-fold: Injury and regression. You have to plan on him missing at least 2 games. He just takes too much punishment and he's getting older. He is also the type of guy you could lose for the season at any point. Depending on the Kolb situation and QB depth available in your league, that is probably a must-handcuff situation.

Also, look at what Favre, Brees, and Manning did this year over last. Favre, you almost knew it was inevitable. Vick probably lies somewhere in between where you wouldn't expect a collapse, but you wouldn't expect him to duplicate what he did this year. He will continue to run less as he gets older (less rushing yardage but probably less beat up as well) - all QBs do. And now teams have a season's worth of video on him in Andy Reid's system. Defenses will figure out how to slow him down and frustrate him. Even if that doesn't cause him to spiral, it should limit his production.

So based on the info I have right now, I would not put him above the "sure-fire" QBs such as Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, or Rivers. I may even draft a guy like Romo, Ryan or Schaub ahead of him. However, at that point the reward is too great to pass on him for guys like Eli and Flacco, or upside guys like Freeman.

But the offseason is fluid...I may waffle on that depending on what teams do and how the NFC East looks.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:24 am

Vick is also much better if your league counts rushing TD as 6 points and passing TD as 4. I'd also agree with the above poster: He's definitely top 6, I don't know where in the top 6 I'd put him. I think there are 5 "top QBs" next year: Brady, Manning, Rogers, Vick, and Rivers (not necessarily in that order). Vick and Rogers have the most upside, but also the most injury downside. Manning might be the value next year...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:26 am

Honestly, I probably am not even going to worry about it, since I'm almost positive that he is going to go far earlier than I would want to pick him.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:43 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Honestly, I probably am not even going to worry about it, since I'm almost positive that he is going to go far earlier than I would want to pick him.

ditto
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:11 am

bungle613 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Honestly, I probably am not even going to worry about it, since I'm almost positive that he is going to go far earlier than I would want to pick him.

ditto

Yes I doubt he'll make it out of the second round undrafted in a lot of leagues, and if he falls to the third someone will snatch him up as their 'steal.' While I'd love to have him on my team, I too am concerned about the almost certain missed time. I also don't like that spending a high pick on him also necessitates drafting a safety net, so in essence he is costing two picks.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:02 am

scottaa1 wrote:
bungle613 wrote:

ditto

Yes I doubt he'll make it out of the second round undrafted in a lot of leagues, and if he falls to the third someone will snatch him up as their 'steal.' While I'd love to have him on my team, I too am concerned about the almost certain missed time. I also don't like that spending a high pick on him also necessitates drafting a safety net, so in essence he is costing two picks.

Agreed. I am just not comfortable because of the injury risk, and the fact the teams are figuring the 'new Vick' out. With him being blitzed his left side, it appears that he will always be throwing under duress, not ideal. When teams didnt blitz because they were too worried, he had all day in the pocket to appear to be a better passer.
DaShiz23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Wherever he goes, it will be too high.

Vick has always been a hot/cold QB. Little known fact, that katy perry song is about Vick. He has an awesome few games, or even an awesome year and comes back with a mediocre one. The Giants proved Vick can be neutralized if you can box him in...but, you have to be able to do it for a full 60 minutes...........and not punt it to Jackson......
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:41 pm

so, 8th round would be too high? Not that he'll fall that far, but the original question was how high would you take him. Let's hold reality in abeyance and assume he doesn't go off the board early. If you're picking late in the sixth and don't have a QB and he's there, do you pick him up at 6.12? 7.05?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to Football Talk