Which team(s) are the biggest surprise for playoffs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Which team(s) are the biggest surprise for playoffs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which team(s) are the biggest surprise for playoffs?

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:55 am

I'm reading NFL.com this morning and checking out the playoff picture. There are some teams in there that I would not have thought in September to be seeing play in January. Namely:

Tampa Bay
Seattle
St. Louis
Kansas City

No disrespect to any of those teams. I don't get to see them play much at all because of market/tv contracts. I guess I'm most surprised about Tampa and Seattle. Seattle in the hunt at 6-9? It's also odd to see Indy in that list without a clinched division title/clinched berth/clinched homefield designation. And I wouldn't have expected to see New Orleans and Green Bay as wildcards. I guess that's parity for ya.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Which team(s) are the biggest surprise for playoffs?

Postby FFslacker » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:10 am

The parity has definitely made it an interesting year from both a fan and fantasy standpoint. I'm just surprised at how many teams imploded hard this year. The Titans started out good and then they just got stuck in a perpetual wtf moment. I think my biggest surprise was how well Oakland played this year given their recent history. I agree that I didn't expect GB and NO to end up (or potentially end up as GB) as wildcards.

Overall it's been fun football to watch but incredibly agitating for fantasy. :-b
FFslacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 am

FFslacker wrote: I'm just surprised at how many teams imploded hard this year.

Agree. While there are a couple surprises at look-who-can-make-it-in, there are more cases of underperformance based on perceptions going into the season. That's another question for another front page poll "which team was most disappointing based on your expectations coming into the season" ;-D

God I hope there isn't a lock out next year.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Munboy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 am

I think KC. They're a legit team that can beat any other team in the league. Whichever team from the NFC West will be there by default. The Buckaroos beat the teams they were supposed to beat and have not competed well with the good teams in the league, so will not last long if they make it in. So, the biggest surprise to me is KC, based on the legitimacy.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk