Grilling - 2011/2012 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Grilling - 2011/2012

Moderator: Football Moderators

Grilling - 2011/2012

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:29 pm

Ya can't grill every day of the year if you don't grill on day #1. B-)

Split chicken breast, carrots, red taters, and a mixed salad (salad ungrilled). They were all remnants from previous meals that were unused and I was going to have to throw out in a few days. The weather wasn't supposed to accomodate it, but it turned out to be pretty ok outdoors today so I thought I'd pop open a Sam Adams and make meself smell like smoke ;-D

Smelled like... Victory.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Grilling - 2011

Postby knapplc » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:37 pm

Since it only cleared double digits for a few hours here today, I gave myself the day off. But I plan on grilling soon.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I've grilled several times over the past couple of months. Nothing spectacular - just the basics like hamburgers and chicken for tacos and some ribs. Tomorrow I'm firing up the burners for some Jerk Chicken. I've got the marinade made, I've got the chicken bathing in it, and the beer is chilled. When I get home tomorrow, it's grill time!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 pm

i got in some steak and chicken last Friday after the snow melted...then we got 10 more inches of snow on Sunday :-/
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:48 am

Man, it's March and this thread hasn't hit eight pages yet? :-D

I have yet to break out the grill this year yet, but will be soon for sure. Not that I have any recipes to contribute, but I do enjoy reading everyone's concoctions.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Man, it's March and this thread hasn't hit eight pages yet? :-D .

Yeah, it seems like if it hasn't been snowing, there's been two inches of ice on everything, or it's been raining. I'm definitely behind on grilling.

BUT next Sunday marks the time Spring-forward time change. That extra hour of sunlight in the evening makes grilling alot more feasible.

Daffodils are 4", tulips have sprouted. Spring is definitely coming :-]
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 am

It's been funky weather the last few weeks. Wet, cold, sometimes a bunch of snow, most times just blah. So I haven't done any grilling in a while, not after the jerk chicken I mentioned a few posts ago. The jerk seasoning is excellent, and pretty easy. Here's the recipe:

Jerk Chicken Marinade
from Weber’s Real Grilling
by Jamie Purviance

1/2 cup roughly chopped yellow onion
1 jalapeño chile, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

In a food processor combine the marinade ingredients. Process until smooth.

Makes about 3/4 cup

What I like about this is that it's just a bunch of spices that you probably already have, or can get at any grocery store. It's simple, but it has good flavor, even though it's not a "real" jerk marinade.

For more of an authentic jerk marinade I go with Tyler Florence's Jerk Chicken recipe:

Jerk Marinade

2 teaspoons allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 onion
8 cloves garlic or 1 whole head
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, sliced
3 scallions, sliced
3 limes, juiced
Splash low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, halved, plus more to taste
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

Combine all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process until you have a smooth puree.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:32 pm

Corn on the cob, flat iron steak, and a Idaho baker wrapped in foil w/ butter, S&P. Gunna be good :-L

What a lousy spring for grilling. I've grilled when it wasn't too busy pouring down rain outside which aint been much. I've barely made a dent in this tank of gas.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:38 am

This has been a terrible spring for grilling. I've probably only grilled 10-15 times all year. Winter was better than spring, which is very unusual. My problem here is rain and high winds. It's been blowing here for two months. Usually the high winds let up after March, but this past week has been horrendous.

In other news, I'm considering going off the reservation on grilling. I have my gas grill that I bought a couple of years ago, but I'm very disappointed in the fact that the inner workings are rusting away - badly. My gas channels are pocked with huge holes. It's pretty disheartening.

So, I'm considering getting a pretty basic terra cotta pot, like a large flower pot, and using that as a charcoal grill. I've seen this done on TV several times and it looks as easy as any other grilling technique, with the benefit that it'll cost far less than an actual grill. Anyone ever tried this?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:52 am

Like many the rain has really hit here in Michigan. I was able to grill some sliders this past weekend ;-D Planning on some steaks, baked potato and corn this weekend ;-D

knapplc wrote:So, I'm considering getting a pretty basic terra cotta pot, like a large flower pot, and using that as a charcoal grill. I've seen this done on TV several times and it looks as easy as any other grilling technique, with the benefit that it'll cost far less than an actual grill. Anyone ever tried this?

Interested to hear if anyone has done this also
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Next

Return to General Talk