Grilling - 2011/2012 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Grilling - 2011/2012

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Grilling - 2011

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:57 pm

I've never heard of anyone doing that knapp. I'd worry about the high temperatures cracking the terra cotta after extensive use though, since that's not really what they are designed for. I dunno though. I did have to google it to see what the webs say, and it appears that it's actually pretty common.

There's this...

...and check out this cute little smoker...

...pretty cool too.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Apparently it's very common in other parts of the world. I saw it on a Jamie Oliver TV show a while back. I'd like to try it, but maybe I'll just buy a cheap charcoal grill instead. We'll see.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:33 pm

knapplc wrote:Apparently it's very common in other parts of the world. I saw it on a Jamie Oliver TV show a while back. I'd like to try it, but maybe I'll just buy a cheap charcoal grill instead. We'll see.

I don't know how much $ cheap is, but you may want to consider spending the extra on a Weber kettle. They are fantastic little things. I think I paid $60 for the basic, no options, 22". That was in 1994 though. I still have it, so that should tell you something. That's practically fifteen years ago. For years I wouldn't grill on anything but that grill. With all the wind at my house now though it's tougher to use charcoal.

If you go that route consider getting the model with the little sweeper arms inside the base. That makes it much easier to clean it out which is one of the few drawbacks to charcoal.

Weber of course has a full line of accessories so you can get everything you need to take full advantage of it. Throwing soaked hickory onto the coals on an indirectly cooked chicken or turkey is fantastic.

Now I want to go clean off my kettle and grill a bird. But, it's 94 degrees out, so I think I'll stay in the AC and have a cold beer instead ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:06 pm

Maybe that's the way I should go. A 22" Weber charcoal grill sells for about $80. If I only bought a terra-cotta pot and another for the lid, I'd be into it for $15-$20, depending on the size I went with, and I'd still have a tiny grilling surface.

Still, the pot is a neat idea.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:54 pm

lemon-dill salmon, rosemary new potatoes and sweet peas (from the farmers market). crappy cell phone pic but a very tasty meal. Those peas are good raw, too.

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:13 pm

dream_017 wrote:Like many the rain has really hit here in Michigan. I was able to grill some sliders this past weekend ;-D Planning on some steaks, baked potato and corn this weekend ;-D

knapplc wrote:So, I'm considering getting a pretty basic terra cotta pot, like a large flower pot, and using that as a charcoal grill. I've seen this done on TV several times and it looks as easy as any other grilling technique, with the benefit that it'll cost far less than an actual grill. Anyone ever tried this?

Interested to hear if anyone has done this also

I was up north, U.P., a dozen years ago and my bro and I used an old bird bath basin for to grill with. Basic T-Bones, peppers, onions, and Portabella mushrooms. Throw in great company, great stories, lousey poker (big fun, bigger loser here), and more beer than I dare care to recall and you have a recipe for a fantastic grillin' ~n~ chillin' experience.
Would have never thought about using a flower pot. kind of appeals to me on some wacked out aesthetic level.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:21 pm

Well, I kind of wussed out. I bought a decent-sized, medium terracotta pot, then when I went inside to get the briquettes I saw this little all-in-one grill bucket that had an inner tray, a grate, the whole nine yards. So I bought both.

We'll see how this goes. I'm grilling chicken breast for the salad tonight. Film at eleven. :D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:18 am

Peas are disgusting....that is all.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm

knapplc wrote:We'll see how this goes. I'm grilling chicken breast for the salad tonight. Film at eleven. :D

How's the charcoal treating ya? I bet you either have a ZOMG delicious WTF story, or a it-got-burnt :-[ story.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Metroid wrote:Peas are disgusting....that is all.

Not if you dump them in your skin tight latex underwear, and then roll around on a felt replica of... oh nevermind.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk