Grilling - 2011/2012 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Grilling - 2011/2012

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Grilling - 2011

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:07 am

scottaa1 wrote:
knapplc wrote:We'll see how this goes. I'm grilling chicken breast for the salad tonight. Film at eleven. :D

How's the charcoal treating ya? I bet you either have a ZOMG delicious WTF story, or a it-got-burnt :-[ story.

i'm a charcoal guy but i do burn things occasionally...usually if i'm trying to prepare some sort of inside food at the same time
note: if you use the real lump charcoal it burns much, much hotter than your typical Kingsford briquettes...i found that out the hard way once
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:16 am

Scott, the charcoal was amazing. It is so much better than gas, there's just no comparison. I'm trying to see if there's a way I can convert my old gas grill to charcoal. I've read up on it online and most everyone says to just go get a dedicated charcoal grill, and one of the main things they say is you can't control the air flow with a converted grill. That makes sense to me, I guess. Whatever happens, I need to switch from gas to charcoal. Sucks, too, because I just bought a decent gas grill a couple of years ago.

So anyway, all I did was toss two plain chicken breasts on top of this little mini grill. Underneath was regular old charcoal and a small handfull of cherry wood chips. I let that go for a few minutes, then put an old pot lid over the top to contain the heat. It worked perfectly, and the chicken got that nice, tanned-leather look to it. Nothing burned, and in the end I had two very nicely grilled/smoked chicken breasts. I sliced them on the bias and tossed them into a big-ass salad, which exploded with flavor.

I have some pics that I'll try to post up this afternoon.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:50 pm

A little late on the pics, but here you go.

The grill and its parts, and the pot I bought originally.

The grill, assembled.

Nice color on the chicken.

The finished product.

I'm going to do some ribeyes on the this little sucker tonight. Should be pretty good.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:11 am

Did pork back ribs for Father's Day. Turned out great with some pasta, asparagus and corn on the cob. Oh and scallop skewers for an appetizer. I don't think there is anything better than grilling meat in the sunshine with a cold beer (or four).
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 am

Marinated and grilled some London Broil's for my dad for fathers day. It was my first foray into steak grilling and it actually turned out very well. I used a marinade made of Newman's Italian Dressing, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, McCormick's Cajun spice, lime juice, a little bit of salt and black pepper, and some minced garlic and onions. LEt it marinate for about 30 mins and had it grilled in about 15-20. Turned out pretty good. I'll probably wait til the 4th of July to do it again, and tweak the recipe a bit, but it was definitely good. Warm outside, the smell of steak on the grill, and enjoying time with the family. What a good time. ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:43 pm

My grill is shot. One of the three burners is kaput (leaks and has flames out the bottom of the grill as a result) and the main diffuser in the middle is rusted as well. :~(
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:39 am

lmcjaho wrote:My grill is shot. One of the three burners is kaput (leaks and has flames out the bottom of the grill as a result) and the main diffuser in the middle is rusted as well. :~(

I have that same problem. I should have bought a grill cover. That $40 investment I didn't make is going to cost me big in repair fees. Bummer.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I've been terrible lazy about keeping up to date on this. I've been enjoying the basics lately, a la this summertime classic:

Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 am

My parents are taking the boys to the cottage this week/weekend, so I will have a little extra time to doa little more than just the basics on the grill. Looking forward to a great grilling weekend ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:56 pm

This isn't a very recent photo, but we've grilled it several times. Simple marinated chicken breasts and fingerling potatoes.

The potatoes are excellent! Get fingerlings, boil them for about 5 minutes, cut them in half, brush them with olive oil, garlic, salt, etc. whatever you want really and toss them on the grill. ;-D

I bought a new grill towards the start of the summer. I found a great deal on the Charbroiler duo gas and charcoal combination grill. It's worked like a charm so far, but I haven't gotten around to firing up the charcoal side.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk