Grilling - 2011/2012 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Grilling - 2011/2012

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Grilling - 2011

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:25 pm

lmcjaho wrote:That looks really really good brother. I haven't made scallops at home in a while but next time I am at the grocery store I just might need to check the selection out. Although I usually prefer the smaller ones myself, I find they have a better flavor.

The bay scallops? Yeah I like those too. With their size tho and being so tender, I've always thought that trying to skewer them would just tear them apart, so I don't grill them. I love them in stuff like gumbolaya.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:49 pm

scottaa1 wrote:charcoal

i agree

i have a charcoal grill/offset smoker...it's not very good as a smoker though. for one it was a cheapo and 2 offset smokers just seem to be an inferior smoker
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fuqyu » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:01 pm

scottaa1 wrote:1) Do you have a location doesn't receive alot of wind and is large enough for a true open flame? (if you get the wind right off the lake, the charcoal will be difficult to lite/keep lit, will burn and heat unevenly, and can melt the siding on your house if you have a very small patio/have someone living above you with a balcony)

This can be solved fairly easily if you get a chimney. As long as you can get a lighter lit long enough to burn the paper on the bottom, the rest of the charcoal should light without a problem. Chimneys also cut down significantly on the wait time for the charcoal to ignite/cool down. The only downside is that you will have to replace it every couple of seasons, but you can get one for less than $20, so it's more than worth it in my opinion.
Fuqyu
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 40)

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Lovin this record setting weather!!! I believe we've set a record high every day this week in Indy. Ive grilled every day this week except for Thursday due to rain. Ribs, chicken, steak and friday night was a cheeseburger with grilled onions :-L Got chicken, shrimp, and tuna and lots of grilling veggies for this weekend. Gunna drink beers, grill, enjoy the warm temps, and watch basketball with all the windows and doors wide open :-)

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:28 pm

scottaa1 wrote:Lovin this record setting weather!!! I believe we've set a record high every day this week in Indy. Ive grilled every day this week except for Thursday due to rain. Ribs, chicken, steak and friday night was a cheeseburger with grilled onions :-L Got chicken, shrimp, and tuna and lots of grilling veggies for this weekend. Gunna drink beers, grill, enjoy the warm temps, and watch basketball with all the windows and doors wide open :-)

Tip O' the cap. I sit here, briquettes ablazin', beverages aflowin', eargly awaiting a St Paddy's Day bounty of riches. BBQ, Beer, Bros, Babes, and Basketball. It doesn't be much better than this. Enjoy the BBQ season. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:43 pm

I hope everyone had a fun St. Patrick's Day. I grilled buffalo chicken sandwiches yesterday, today was chicken breasts, red potatoes and carrots on the grill. Having a frothy Guiness, watching basketball and belching B-)

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:01 pm

So I caught my grill on fire last week :-b I cleaned it when I first started grilling back in March but forgot and/or neglected to notice that the grease 'slide' at the bottom that leads to the drip pan was removable for cleaning. So I just kinda scraped it and let it be. Well, that grease slide caught fire while I was making dinner. It turned into that bellowing black smoke like an oil rig fire, and the temperature was up to 500 and rising fast. I didn't know what else to do so I grabbed the fire extinguisher from the kitchen and gave the slide two quick blasts from it. The whole thing was a mess to clean up but the darn thing is scrubbed like new now.

I've gone through my first tank of propane already B-)

speaking of scrubbing, I cleaned the garage today and pulled the Weber kettle that I bought back in 1994 into the sunlight and cleaned it up. It's the grill I bought when I first got a 'real' job and my first place on my own. It still had food on the grate. Something orangish brown, maybe bbq sauce? :-?

Chicken, asparagus, carrots taters and corn tonight. Local grocery had leg quarters on sale for 82 cents a pound. Those are some great grilling indirect with some Stubb's sauce. :-L
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby scottaa1 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm getting a bit burned out already on the vegetables that I consider grillable. I'll list the usual candidates that I grill, and if any of you have suggestions on other items, post away and I'll give them a try.

Corn on the cob

Asparagus
Summer squash
Carrots
Potatoes (mostly red taters, but some sweet taters/yams as well)

Brussels sprouts
Eggplant

Since I usually have two or three veggies with each meal the combinations and repetition is wearing thin. Got any favorites you can suggest?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby lmcjaho » Sun May 27, 2012 12:54 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I'm getting a bit burned out already on the vegetables that I consider grillable. I'll list the usual candidates that I grill, and if any of you have suggestions on other items, post away and I'll give them a try.

Since I usually have two or three veggies with each meal the combinations and repetition is wearing thin. Got any favorites you can suggest?

WTF? Nowhere in your usual suspects list do you have the ultimate grilling veggie - red/yellow/orange/green bell peppers... How do you go through life without grilling these yummy gifts of Mother Nature????
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:29 pm

lmcjaho wrote: Nowhere in your usual suspects list do you have the ultimate grilling veggie - red/yellow/orange/green bell peppers... How do you go through life without grilling these yummy gifts of Mother Nature????

Ah, yeah, those. I don't care for bell peppers other than red ones. I grill them and then use them in recipes, it's just not pepper season yet. I do like to add grilled red pepper to creamed corn. I have a pretty good recipe for that, maybe I can dig it up and post it.

Too freakin hot to grill lately. I've got dozens of pics from the last couple months but the grilling enthusiasm doesn't seem to be what it used to. Maybe now that it's Memorial Day and people will start grilling it'll pick up.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk