Grilling - 2011/2012 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Grilling - 2011/2012

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Grilling - 2011/2012

Postby knapplc » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Grilling pizza tonight. I'm cheating and using a baking stone. I'll post some pics later...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:08 pm

knapplc wrote:Grilling pizza tonight. I'm cheating and using a baking stone. I'll post some pics later...

Didn't you post your recipe for grilled pizza a couple three years back? I always meant to try that.

Welp my afternoon got derailed. I was talking to a buddy and got hit with a 'so, what are you doing for the next hour or so?' Four hours and four stops later, we've loaded and unloaded a moving van, including washers/dryers, and a FREAKING PIANO. It's almost 90 outside. Now I just want something cold for dinner !+)

Edit: this is a REALLY good summer salad.

Cucumber, tomato, and candy onion from the farmer's market. slice and dice all into little cubes or rings. added fresh basil and parsley from my herb garden. topped it off with a little minced garlic, S&P, and a couple tablespoons of italian dressing to toss to coat. YUM. Having it alongside spinach with a warm bacon raspberry pecan dressing. I guess Im having two salads for dinner. :-? But, it's what sounds good.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 pm

I might have posted that pizza recipe a while back. I don't know if I used the same dough recipe then as I do now. I have a good one now.

Made Jerk Chicken and Spanish Rice tonight for dinner. Used the side burner for the rice so I didn't heat up the house.

Here's the chicken and rice, and a tasty beverage:

I know what you're thinking and yeah - that's MGD. I drink the high-brow stuff.

Anyway, it was hotter than hell next to that grill. I went and got my meat thermometer, clipped it to my shirt for a few minutes, and this was the reading:

Which is why it was nice that a few of these rolled in, even if it was too late to cool me down:

How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am

Here's my pizza from last weekend:

Starts with a hot grill. I put my baking stone in there for about an hour:

Mise en place: You live and die by your prep. Get everything ready BEFORE you cook.

Anthony Bourdain is famous for perpetuating the line, "Proper Prior Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance." Chop, slice, simmer, saute and shred everything before you start. Everything.

Here we have (clockwise from upper left) shredded mozzarella, granulated garlic seasoning, store-bought pepperoni, and sliced-and-sauteed (in order of sautee, using the same pan): Italian Sausage, red pepper, onions (red and yellow) and white cap mushrooms. The grease from the sausage flavors the veggies. I deglaze the pan with white wine before sauteeing the onions.

You've already made your dough, your "mise" is done, your stone is HOT, and you've got everything ready to go. Now it's time to make pizza. Blind-bake (cook with nothing on it) your dough first:

Pull the dough off with your pizza peel after maybe two/three minutes. FLIP your dough, so you're putting your sauce/ingredients on the COOKED side:

Add your sauce:

Add all your toppings (I like the pepperoni on top to crisp up):

Now grill that bad boy until the cheese starts taking on color. Don't overcook, and DO NOT constantly open your grill to check. You'll lose heat and your cheese will never brown. Once done, pull off and let it sit for a minute:

Slice and serve. Each pizza can be made to order. It takes some practice, and you need a grill with multiple burners, but it can be done. These were fantastic.

It also helps if you have the right tools. You can get a pizza peel at most cooking supply stores. Hockenberg's in Lincoln (and there's another in Omaha on F Street, and one up in Minneapolis) sold me mine. Large cutting boards are handy, and you can get those at Sam's or at the Gretna Outlet Malls:

How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Wow knapp thanks for posting all that and including pics. The thermometer isn't even funny, it's been brutal. Yesterday was the hottest day Indiana has had since 1958. I ruled out grilling and instead used the crock pot.

Do you make your own dough? also, how do you get it flattened out, does it have to be hand spun? Also, why saute the toppings, are they not in the grill long enough to get cooked? I'm going to have to get a peel and try this. I'd love making one with roasted red pepper, kalamata olives, spinach. feta and some of the basil I'm growing.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:24 pm

I make my own dough. The recipe is:

6 cups flour, sifted
2 tsp kosher salt
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cups water, 110 degrees
2 tsp sugar
4 1/2 tsp rapid-rise yeast (or two packages instant yeast)

Add the sugar to the warm water, stirring until it dissolves. Add the yeast and stir to incorporate. Set aside. Sift the flour into a large bowl, and add the salt, then stir together. Wait until the yeast makes a thick cap on top of the water, and you're ready to go.

At this point I put everything into my bread machine and let the machine mix it, adding more olive oil if necessary. If you want to make it by hand, I would make a well in the flour in the large bowl, then add the water and olive oil, then mix with a spoon until it makes a thick ball. You would want to knead it by hand for a good ten-fifteen minutes, then let it rest.

This makes two 14" pizzas, or one small, one 14" and some breadsticks, or four medium-ish pizzas. Depends on who you're feeding.

I let the bread machine mix everything, then turn the dough out and divide it right away, roll it out, and put it in a stack with oiled parchment paper between the crusts. That lets them rise, keeps them moist and works pretty well. From there it's onto the grill as shown above.

I saute the veggies first because I like the flavor more, but I don't think you'd have to do that. I've been doing it this way for a long time and I don't rightly recall if the veggies get done without pre-cooking. They probably would, though.

We had a bunch of people over tonight, a BYOM meal. I grilled, in this ridiculous heat, chicken breasts (bone-in), marinated chicken skewers with a roasted red pepper pesto, hamburgers, and asparagus. It was a long hot slog, but well worth it.

After dinner I went back outside and grilled peaches. I just split them in half, removed the pit, grilled them on high face-down for a few minutes to get some char marks, then flipped them over, sprinkled on brown sugar, and turned everything down to low just to bake them. They were fantastic. First time I'd ever tried that, and it worked really well. Highly recommended.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:32 am

Is that regular pesto w/ roasted pepper in it, or a pesto made with pepper in place of the basil?

I made a couple pizzas but cheated insofar as I didn't make my own dough. I just used Kangaroo flatbread as the crust and they turned out pretty good. The first one was a simple pepperoni and cheese (and sauce of course), then made a greek one, and a tomato-basil-garlic. The only PITA of it was getting everything chopped up in advance but after that it was as easy as throwing a stir fry together.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Regular pesto with roasted red peppers added. They sell a HUGE jar of roasted red peppers at Sam's Club. I buy one every year when I make pesto, but as the popularity increases I think I'm going to have to buy two jars this year. That stuff goes fast.

I also make a green onion pesto, and of course regular-schmegular pesto.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:39 pm

With the heat wave/drought/burn ban I haven't lit the grill in over a month. And I've been using no cook or top of the stove recipes to get by. I'll post a few more recipes in the next couple days but for now here's a no cooker that is nice on a hot day. Unfortunately the farm markets aren't fairing too well so the only things local are the basil and parsley I'm growing out front.

Mozzarella tomato basil sandwich and cucumber salad. Dress the sandwich with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. No heat and quite tasty.

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Great as a side, or pureed with additional milk to make a soup,

Creamed Sweet Corn and Roasted Red Pepper

It's even better next day. the smokey tends to creep.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to General Talk