interesting keeper choices... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

interesting keeper choices...

Moderator: Football Moderators

interesting keeper choices...

Postby technophobe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:38 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. So, we decided to do a keeper league this year and now I have an interesting dilemma. We keep 3 players at their draft position and waiver wire guys will count as our last picks in the draft. It's a 10 man league, standard format scoring, non ppr.

QB, RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR, DEF, K

I have:
Michael Vick, undrafted, waiver wire pickup
Peyton Hillis undrafted, waiver wire pickup
Maurice Jones Drew, #1 draft pick
Darren Mcfadden, #11 draft pick

So, I get to keep 3 guys. My dilemma: should I drop MJD? He's an absolute stud, but he would otherwise take my first round draft pick and the others are outstanding values for my last picks in the draft. If I do drop MJD, which other back would you pick Hillis or Mcfadden? I'm pretty set on keeping Vick. What do you think? Thanks guys.
technophobe
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: interesting keeper choices...

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:05 am

First, Welcome to the Cafe!

Now, as to your question, I have a few questions of my own first.
When do you pick in the first round and when do you have to officially announce your keepers and hold your draft?

In the meantime, I think in this situation I would be dropping MJD. First, with his injury and surgery, you never know how he will recover and how fast he can be back up to speed. And, you can probably grab another starting RB with your first round pick if you want. Also, Jax has a few nice backups who showed some ability late in the year and so they might not be ready to rush MJD back in as the only RB who gets touches in 2011.

Another consideration is that you can start 3 RBs each week and don't have PPR which further devalues WRs, so you will want to keep Vick, 2 RBs and probably take a 3rd RB with your 1st round pick. So, if you are intent on keeping Vick, then your choice comes down to McFadden, Hillis and someone like Matthews with you 1st round pick, IMO.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby technophobe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I had the 4th pick last draft, I am unsure where I will be in the next one, I think it may be random, but I'm not 100%. I ended up winning the championship, so I don't know if that will affect my draft position either. Also, I'm unsure of when we are required to submit our keepers. I'm guessing in August, but I don't think this will be too much of a problem, as I'm in a league with friends and I'm sure this will be flexible.

I was thinking exactly on your lines... Keep Vick, 2 backs and draft a 3rd in the first round. I know MJD has just had surgery, but how much do you really think that will slow him down? He's had a problematic knee the whole season and still rushed for 1300 yards. If anything I think the surgery should help, but like you said, you never know. I'll monitor the situation in the meantime. As for Vick, QB passing TD is 4 pts, rushing is 6 pts. I think this gives a tremendous advantage to Michael Vick in the QB position and a last round pick for Vick is a no brainer for me.

I have not played in a keeper league before and I'm not sure who the keepers will be in the rest of the league. I'm assuming most of last years first round studs will not be available in the draft this year. What has been your experience? Thanks again.
technophobe
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby platini » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:06 pm

I would keep Vick, MJD and McFadden. I think Hillis would not have the same impact in the next season under a new coach.

Help Me: viewtopic.php?t=489696
My English is not very good. My German is much better ;)
platini
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Achmed » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:40 pm

I would also keep Vick, MJD and McFadden. DMC is very good value. And stealing Vick as your last round pick more than makes up for MJD in the first.

Return the favor?
viewtopic.php?t=489661
12-team PPR, start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 flex (RB/WR/TE), 1D/ST
Unlimited keepers, but more than 6 cost draft picks, starting w 1st Rnd

Keepers- Rodgers, RJennings, Fitzgerald, Hilton, Pitta
and one of Wallce or CJ1K
Achmed
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Location: Iowa, the land of no major league sports teams whatsoever (sigh)

Postby ABC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:45 pm

IMO:

Because of your scoring for QB's, you should keep Vick.

I would also keep MJD and McFadden.

Even though MJD is coming of surgery, I trust that he'll be able to produce at a high / elite level than Hillis. McFadden just has to stay healthy!! :-)
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby srlarson » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:55 am

No chance I would keep MJD.......

I would keep the other three.....guessing not many others will have 1st round picks so worst case you could get MJD back....Best case you get the pick of what's left......I agree getting 4 RB's ealy so Hillis is your #4 is HUGE......

Good Luck.
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby chiefsfan4life2 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:43 am

With MJD coming off surgery, I'm not sure I would want to waste a 1st rd pick on MJD...the other 3 players come at great value. Because of the depth of Jacksonvilles RBs, MJD will not be rushed back so whatever RB you draft in the 1st rd will most likely be more productive than him anyways.
chiefsfan4life2
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Indibuck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Vick and DMac are no-brainers.

I think you need to know definitively where you draft before you make the decision between Hillis and MJD.

If you pick 1-4, you drop MJD and keep Hillis. If you draft 5th or later, you keep MJD and drop Hillis. And make sure you draft Rashad Jennings, even if it's a few rounds earlier than what his ADP will be.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 173)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions