Asomugha contract voided, now a free agent - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Asomugha contract voided, now a free agent

Moderator: Football Moderators

Asomugha contract voided, now a free agent

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:23 pm

oof

Nnamdi Asomugha contract voided

Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's contract voided and he will be allowed to become a free agent without the Oakland Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, Raiders senior executive John Herrera confirmed Sunday.

Asomugha’s deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn’t achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn'’t.

His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didn’t achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player.

"We have to wait on the ramifications of the new CBA to be able to move on," Herrera said.

To achieve his incentives, Asomugha had to play in a greater number of defensive plays in 2010 than he did in 2009, and this season Asomugha played in only 14 games whereas he played in all 16 in 2009.

He also could have achieved his incentives by improving upon on his interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season -- but he didn't have any interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season.

Asomugha will be the top defensive player available whenever free agency begins.

Oakland could have many other key free agents this offseason depending on the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Richard Seymour, safety Michael Huff, cornerback Stanford Routt, tight end Zach Miller, left guard Robert Gallery and running back Michael Bush are among the Raiders' other potential free agents.

Asomugha is one of the league's best man-to-man cornerbacks, with most teams choosing not to throw to his side of the field. According to STATS LLC, Asomugha was targeted on just 33 pass attempts this season. He allowed 13 completions for 205 yards and no touchdowns, burnishing his reputation as a shutdown cornerback.

Asomugha was a first-round pick by the Raiders in 2003. After some struggles early in career as he moved from safety to cornerback, Asomugha has emerged as one of the league's top cornerbacks the past five years. He was recently selected to his third straight Pro Bowl.

But despite the strong play from Asomugha, the Raiders have been unable to put a winning team on the field in his eight years in Oakland. The team lost at least 11 games for an NFL worst seven straight years in Asomugha's first eight seasons before improving to 8-8 this year.

That improvement did not satisfy owner Al Davis, who announced last week that he would not pick up the option on coach Tom Cable's contract. The Raiders are now searching for their sixth coach since 2003, with offensive coordinator Hue Jackson the leading contender.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Asomugha contract voided, now a free agent

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Just another teaspoon of proof on the mountain of evidence that Al Davis is senile. If the NFL really cared about the product they would take decision making authority away.
Would love to see Nnamdi come to Detroit. Nnamdi and Ndamukong would make a great start to a dominant D. They could even change the name to the Ndetroit Lions.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:27 pm

I would imagine just about every team in the league is going to have interest whenever free agency begins. I'd like to see him in a Patriots uniform.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wenchtamer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Who wouldn't want him on their team. I hope we offer him the kind of money we were willing to piss away on Haynesworth.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Can't find the article where I read it, but, he did mention he would love to play with Charles Woodson (Formally played together in Oakland) and Darelle Revis. I personally think Asomugha isn't looking for the most money, he has to be looking to get a ring. If the price is right and maybe a little bit more than what Cromartie wants from the Jets, maybe they'll send out an offer. Wouldn't that be something, Revis + Asumgha and then hopefully Wilson will finally learn to turn his head around from the 2 best CBs in the NFL. ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Wenchtamer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:34 am

^Greedy!
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby joejlitz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:58 pm

Nnamdi is now wearing midnight green and will start opposite either Asante Samuel or Dominique Rogers-Cromartie. I think it is safe to say the Eagles have the best secondary in the league right now. I think it might also be safe to say one of the 3 corners (Asante?) might be moving before the season starts...
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby m16a » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:47 pm

joejlitz wrote:Nnamdi is now wearing midnight green and will start opposite either Asante Samuel or Dominique Rogers-Cromartie. I think it is safe to say the Eagles have the best secondary in the league right now. I think it might also be safe to say one of the 3 corners (Asante?) might be moving before the season starts...

This plus Babin and Washburn means the Birds have suddenly made something of their defense. If Allen comes back and plays like he did pre injury, the Birds just got themselves one of the best secondaries in the league and a much stronger defense. Very strong chance at a deep playoff run now. ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby joejlitz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:30 pm

m16a wrote:
joejlitz wrote:Nnamdi is now wearing midnight green and will start opposite either Asante Samuel or Dominique Rogers-Cromartie. I think it is safe to say the Eagles have the best secondary in the league right now. I think it might also be safe to say one of the 3 corners (Asante?) might be moving before the season starts...

This plus Babin and Washburn means the Birds have suddenly made something of their defense. If Allen comes back and plays like he did pre injury, the Birds just got themselves one of the best secondaries in the league and a much stronger defense. Very strong chance at a deep playoff run now. ;-D

Yup. We can now rush the passer (very well) and cover the pass (exceptionally well). As is a typical Eagles D in the last decade, we will likely be weak against the run and susceptible to some long gains on the ground. But the bend, don't break philosophy has always worked well for us.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Return to Football Talk