Bell's Palsey - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bell's Palsey

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bell's Palsey

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:07 pm

Woke up this morning with a weird feeling in my face. went to doc and got Bell's Palsey. strangest feeling I've ever had. Eye lids don't close completely. Can only drink out of a straw eventhing else dribbles down my chin. right side of cheek in numb.

Hopefully this doesn't last very long. Doc said a week or two best case, 6 months worst case and never go away completely.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bell's Palsey

Postby knapplc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Had a friend who had this several years ago. It came back at least once, but each time it didn't last very long, less than a month.

Sorry about this. It should be temporary, so hang in there.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:11 am

woah. That is weird, hopefully your a typical to best case scenario ;-D
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:36 am

what a coincidence, I just learned about Bell's palsy on Thursday in my anatomy & physiology class. It's a dysfunction in your 7th cranial nerve. So sorry to hear man. Did your doctor give you any meds? Or are you just waiting it out? I'm sure your doctor told you, but make sure you keep your eye on the affected side moist.

As others have said, hopefully this is just a passing thing. Best of luck.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Metroid wrote:As others have said, hopefully this is just a passing thing. Best of luck.

^^ what Met said. Sorry to hear it HHF. Hope it goes away quick and complete.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Santacruzer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Hopefully you are feeling this progressively getting better already. I don't think I could add anything that your doctors haven't already told you, but it sounds like you are treating it early and are young, so a full recovery should be in order.

I have a few co-workers that have it. One just being diagnosed 2 weeks ago. She is over 50, and was told she may not return to 100% due to her age, but she has already in just this short time.

Get well brother ;-D
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Got it I think 4 years ago. Went to work just writing it off to some nerve thing until it got worse and worse (rapidly) Took 3 weeks off work and total recovery. Friends and family were a lot more freaked out then I was.

If you are in the position at your job or school seriously just sit on your ass for 4-5 weeks. It will be weird taping your eye shut to sleep but really, almost all cases are complete recovery.

Good luck but you will be fine dude.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Sorry to hear of your condition. Did the doc subscribe some prednisone and maybe an anti-viral for you? Generally one is started on a steroid to help reduce swelling in the afore mentioned 7th cranial nerve, and an anti-viral in case its a virus. Warning, your symptoms may be worse before they get better. It is not unusual for Bell's Palsy to progress in the first week. So if it worsens, that is normal. Should you begin to have pain, moist heat helps. Hopfully, your case is mild and symptoms quickly go away. About half of those suffering from this will fully recover in weeks, and over 75% will recover within a year. Hang in there and good luck.

Also, if you have any numbness or paralysis to anywhere else, call your doctor. Bell's Palsy only affects the face.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:19 am

How are you feeling? It's been a week or so - any improvement?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:31 pm

moochman wrote:Sorry to hear of your condition. Did the doc subscribe some prednisone and maybe an anti-viral for you? Generally one is started on a steroid to help reduce swelling in the afore mentioned 7th cranial nerve, and an anti-viral in case its a virus. Warning, your symptoms may be worse before they get better. It is not unusual for Bell's Palsy to progress in the first week. So if it worsens, that is normal. Should you begin to have pain, moist heat helps. Hopfully, your case is mild and symptoms quickly go away. About half of those suffering from this will fully recover in weeks, and over 75% will recover within a year. Hang in there and good luck.

Also, if you have any numbness or paralysis to anywhere else, call your doctor. Bell's Palsy only affects the face.

Subscribe??? :-?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Next

Return to General Talk