Bell's Palsey - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bell's Palsey

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Bell's Palsey

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:56 pm

A previous prime minister of ours had it - left one side of his face numb and as a result he talked out of the side of his mouth - the political cartoonists had a heyday with it:

Singer Gordon Lightfoot also had it, but I don't think he had any lasting effects from it.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:06 pm

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:Sorry to hear of your condition. Did the doc subscribe some prednisone and maybe an anti-viral for you? Generally one is started on a steroid to help reduce swelling in the afore mentioned 7th cranial nerve, and an anti-viral in case its a virus. Warning, your symptoms may be worse before they get better. It is not unusual for Bell's Palsy to progress in the first week. So if it worsens, that is normal. Should you begin to have pain, moist heat helps. Hopfully, your case is mild and symptoms quickly go away. About half of those suffering from this will fully recover in weeks, and over 75% will recover within a year. Hang in there and good luck.

Also, if you have any numbness or paralysis to anywhere else, call your doctor. Bell's Palsy only affects the face.

Subscribe??? :-?

Geez, you english police never sleep. Prescribe of course.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby houstonherdfan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Well, I guess I got pretty lucky. Is almost gone already still some weakness smile is off center. Blinking came back after about 5-6 days. Taste bud are just now starting to come back. The 35 pounds or so I wanted to lose are just about gone from not being able to eat due to everything tasting bad. Went from 229 pounds to 201 in 12 days. now its just a matter of keeping it off.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Nice to hear of your recovery, HHF. ;-D
The Bell's Palsy Diet. Seems very effective, but I hope it doesn't catch on. :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:52 pm

A friend of mine has this. He seems to get it every couple of years or so apparently, and it takes a much longer time (a couple months or so) for it to go away. First time I saw it I thought he had a stroke - was relieved to hear differently.

His best friend makes vicious fun of him (it's how those two are all the time) calling him Droopy, or Drooler, etc. Considering he's like 6'7" and probably weighs in around 300lbs it's a good thing he has a similar sense of humor lol.

Glad to hear it's already going away for you HHF ;-D
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Jim Ross (Good 'Ol JR) with the WWE has had several bouts with Bell's Palsy. Sorry to hear about it, here's hoping you're feeling much better. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 am

100% recovered? Did you keep the weight off?

How often could it recur (if it recurs)?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 am

joejlitz wrote:100% recovered? Did you keep the weight off?

How often could it recur (if it recurs)?

I can answer the second part. About 7-10% of people who suffer an episode of Bell's Palsy experience recurrences. That percentage increases if the sufferer has other medical issues such as diabetes and whatnot. So there's a very good chance this is just an isolated incident for herd.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk