Trade winds blowing in dynasty league ... WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Trade winds blowing in dynasty league ... WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade winds blowing in dynasty league ... WHIR

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Already getting trade offers in our competitive 12-team PPR H2H league. I missed the championship game by five points (due to stupidly subbing Pierre Thomas in for Rashard Mendenhall). The league starts one QB, two RB, two WR, one TE, one K and one D/ST. However, we are also adding an RB/WR flex spot to our starters this season, so I'm hoping to get that spot filled with a decent talent.

My current roster:
QB - Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan, Joe Webb
RB - Arian Foster, Rashard Mendenhall, DeAngelo Williams, Mike Goodson, James Starks, Javon Ringer, Pierre Thomas, Danny Woodhead
WR - Roddy White, Marques Colston, Mike Sims-Walker, Mike Thomas, Julian Edelman, Blair White
TE - Dallas Clark, Marcedes Lewis
K - David Akers
DEF - New England
I also have two 2011 draft picks (1.02 and 1.11 -- both via trades during the season).

The first offer is Knowshon Moreno and Vernon Davis for my James Starks, Dallas Clark and 1.11 draft pick. Knowshon would pencil in as my flex starter, but he struggled at times this past year and Starks looked decent so far in his extended play during the playoffs.
The second offer is Reggie Wayne and Josh Freeman for my Marques Colston, Matt Ryan and the 1.11 draft pick. The issue is Wayne's age and streakiness this past season, although he could be a decent WR2 for me.

Overall, for the first time in a while, I'm not anxious to make a lot of moves. However, should I take a serious look at either of these offers in your opinion? I'll definitely help you.
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade winds blowing in dynasty league ... WHIR

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Offer one:
I like Moreno this year more than I would of had McDaniels been on board, same goes for Davis now that Harbaugh and is WCO are in SF.

Clark is a stud and you know what to expect.
Starks has done nicely in the playoffs so far, but that doesn't mean it will translate to next season. He comes in with limited wear on his legs against defenses who have played a whole season. Not to mention Grant will be back next year to compete with.
1.11 well...I honestly have no clue who the top "15" are and who would be considered here, and that's maybe the part that makes me most unsure.

At first thought I was sure I wouldn't do this trade, but upon review I think it may be the better move to make despite it being the trendy move trading old studs (clark) for young studs in the same position (VD).

I would talk this other owner up some to try and get a bit more, like a draft pick or something.

Tell him Clark has been an Elite TE the past 4 years (this year before his injury), is proven, has Peyton and will continue to put up those numbers. And James Starks has emerged and probably will be Green Bay's feature back for the next couple years. And that is years draft is deep, the most underclassmen ever have declared and 1.11 is far more valuable than in years past.

Because if you can get a bit more than I think it's a solid trade. Or maybe even drop the 1.11 from it.

And the 2nd offer, is kinda bleh. Wayne is getting up there in years and he isn't a big WR whose careers can go forever, Freeman is a good up and coming QB, but his peak may not be better than Matt Ryan's current status.

Colston, while in a crowded/ball spread around passing attack, has shown the ability to find him self in the 20+ Rank for WR's at the end of the season consistently as well as the ability to break the top 10 in his career other than a year as the 34th best while missing 5 games that year.

Matt Ryan was the 8th best QB this year in terms of FF, I expect many years of about that each year, may break the top 5 a few times but a good chance to be in the top 10 each year if healthy.

and again the 1.11 I just don't know how to value yet.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Warpigs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Potential update on the deal, with a possibility of trade becoming a three-way move.
I'd give up Matt Ryan, James Starks, Marques Colston, Dallas Clark and 1.11
I'd get Josh Freeman, Knowshon Moreno, Reggie Wayne and Vernon Davis
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Warpigs wrote:Potential update on the deal, with a possibility of trade becoming a three-way move.

Matt Ryan>Josh Freeman
Starks<Moreno
Colston=Wayne
Clark=Davis

my ='s aren't dead on, but it's pretty close with age factored in.

This trade is fairly even with the players. And in this situation I think downgrading at QB makes it a bad trade for you, not to mention the 1.11
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby ABC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Wow. Nice dynasty roster.

Very interesting trade offers. Any way you can wait until after the CBA to make a move?

I appologize in advanced. It's been a long day at work, so I'm writing as I'm thinking.

Let's look at the offers:

OFFER #1: Knowshon Moreno and Vernon Davis for my James Starks, Dallas Clark and 1.11 draft pick

You give up an unknown RB and a stud TE for a solid / borderline stud RB and an solid / borderline stud TE.

Moreno: 23 years old, 3 years experience,
2010 stats: 779 rsh yards on 182 attempts. 37 rec for 372 yards. Total TD's = 8

Starks: 24 years old and a rookie.
2010 stats (not including playoffs): 290 rsh yards on 77 attempts. 4 rec's for 24 yards.

Even though Moreno struggles at times, he's not got a new coach in Fox who will want to run the football. The question though is

whether Fox will bring in another RB to share the carries like he had in D.Wiliams and J.Stewart in Carolina. We won't know the

answer to this until after the CBA. If he does not bring in another RB, I think Moreno is a huge upgrade over Starks and would be a

solid to stud flex player.

Starks has been solid in the playoffs, but still has to contend with R.Grant next year. Plus, GB likes to throw the ball.

V.Davis is a solid to stud TE, but is not D.Clark. Plus having the Manning to Clark combo is very nice. You know Clark is going to

get his #'s with Manning looking his way constantly. Not sure how Harbaugh will use Davis, even though they will install more of a

west coast offense, plus who's going throw to him. Their QB for next year is probably not on their roster. The one thing Davis has

going for him is youth. While Clark is not going to retire anytime soon because of age, he is 31 years old and you have to wonder

when all the pounding is going to catch up to him.

Davis: 26 years old, 5 years experience
2010 stats: 56 rec for 914 yards and 7 td's.

Clark: 31 years old, 8 years experience
2010 stats: 37 rec for 347 yards and 3 td's. Of course he only played 6 games.

--------------

OFFER 2: Reggie Wayne and Josh Freeman for my Marques Colston, Matt Ryan and the 1.11 draft pick.

You give up a stud wr and an up and coming QB for a solid WR and a solid / stud QB.

Wayne: 32 years old, 10 years experience
2010 stats: 112 rec for 1356 yards and 6 td's

Colston: 27 years old, 5 years experience
2010 stats: 88 rec for 1089 yards and 7 td's.

Even though Wayne was inconsistent at times, he still finished with great #'s. The question is whether his td's will increase with

Clark back in the line-up taking pressure off teams to double team him. Though, he did look a step slower this year than in the

past. But, he's still Mannings #1A target next to Clark.

Colston is younger and has solid #'s, but had not really put up Wayne type of #'s in his career. His best year was 2007 in which he

had 98 rec's for 1202 yards and 11 td's. A concern with Colston is that Bree's like the spread the ball around. So, on any given

week, Colston could put up pedestrian type #'s because Bree's is going somewhere else. Wayne only put's up small #'s because

Manning won't force it to him. But, he will always at least look his way.

I like Ryan over Freeman because I'm not confident Freemand will be able to put up the same or better the #'s that he put up this season. I also think Ryan has been players around him, which make him more of a sure thing than Freeman.

----------------------

OFFER 3: Matt Ryan, James Starks, Marques Colston, Dallas Clark and 1.11 for Josh Freeman, Knowshon Moreno, Reggie Wayne and Vernon Davis

I like this offer the best if you can pull it off. You get the better RB and WR while downgrading alittle bit from Ryan to Freeman and Clark to Davis. But, since you've got Manning, you might never need to play Freeman, except during the bye weeks.

Matt Ryan>Josh Freeman
Starks<Moreno
Colston<Wayne ( for this season, but in several more, Colston could be better than Wayne)
Clark>Davis

If you can't make this trade and must make a move now, than I would suggest offer 1.
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Dolfan19 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:29 am

I think he is asking too much. In both trades, if you don't give up the 1.11 pick, they look a lot more fair to me, but I don't really know what you will get with a 1.11 pick in a league where you keep the players. That being said, I don't think I would make the trade even if you didn't have to give up the picks. I just like your guys more.
Dolfan19
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Indibuck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:21 am

I don't like any of the deals for you.... you give up a lot for players with some major question marks, and it doesn't strengthen your starters. Pass.

You originally said you wanted a solid flex starter. I think that starts with your 1.2 pick. While the draft is weak at RB, WR is a strength. Based on talent alone, you have your choice between Mark Ingram, AJ Green, and Julio Jones. In the right situation any of the three have a chance to be special -- of the group I like Green the best, but it depends on what team drafts him.

You also have options on your bench... I think DWill is a starter/major contributer next year for someone other than CAR. Thomas is a consideration. Starks has emerged, although I think Grant is the odds-on favorite to win the 2011 job.

I would let things play out before making big roster moves.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby Warpigs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far. The deal has narrowed down to this option:

This would give me starters of:
QB: PManning (with Freeman backing up)
RB: AFoster, RMendenhall
Flex: KMoreno
WR: RWhite, RWayne
TE: VDavis
Warpigs
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Spotter

Postby Indibuck » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Warpigs wrote:Thanks for all the feedback so far. The deal has narrowed down to this option:

This would give me starters of:
QB: PManning (with Freeman backing up)
RB: AFoster, RMendenhall
Flex: KMoreno
WR: RWhite, RWayne
TE: VDavis

I like this deal better than the others.

With Peyton at QB, you don't need an immediate starter, you need a guy with potential... and I love Freeman's long-term potential based on what he has shown with a VERY young TB offense. I think we know what we are going to get with Ryan... low-end QB1 that's really better suited as a backup, or paired with a Flacco-esque QB to play matchups. Ryan's ceiling is lower than Freeman's IMHO.

Big upgrade at RB IF Starks doesn't win the GB job and IF Tebow develops as a passer and doesn't steal too many rushing TDs.

Colston for Wayne... I love it for 2011, but think it may be a wash at best after that as Wayne ages. Plus I am not a big fan of QB/WR combos.... so if you make this deal I would try and trade Wayne somewhere else.

Downgrade at the TE position, Clark is a consistent big producer in PPR leagues, Davis is hit and miss.

I don't like you giving up the 1.11 in a rookie class deep at WR and getting nothing in return. I would counter the deal and get at least an early 2nd, or drop the 1.11 altogether.

Good luck.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby Lucky7 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:39 pm

I like the first trade for you and not the other two. I think Moreno will be very solid with fox. I also like Davis with the new oc is sf. I wouldn't be desperate to make the trade but I think it helps your team.
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions