The CBA Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The CBA Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The CBA Thread

Postby bungle613 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Don't hold your breath for this to get fixed boys.

According to Cardinals kicker Jay Feely, Panthers owner Jerry Richardson was dismissive and condescending when speaking to Drew Brees and Peyton Manning in a CBA negotiating session last Saturday.
Speaking on Michael Kay's radio show in New York, Feelys says Richardson said "do I need to help you read a revenue chart son?" when talking to Manning, before adding "do I need to help break that down for you because I don’t know if you know how to read that?" If the owners are treating even the league's most visible and respected players this poorly, there's no telling how bad things might get this offseason. Source: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com Feb 13, 10:58:00 AM
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:25 pm

bungle613 wrote:Don't hold your breath for this to get fixed boys.

According to Cardinals kicker Jay Feely, Panthers owner Jerry Richardson was dismissive and condescending when speaking to Drew Brees and Peyton Manning in a CBA negotiating session last Saturday.
Speaking on Michael Kay's radio show in New York, Feelys says Richardson said "do I need to help you read a revenue chart son?" when talking to Manning, before adding "do I need to help break that down for you because I don’t know if you know how to read that?" If the owners are treating even the league's most visible and respected players this poorly, there's no telling how bad things might get this offseason. Source: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com Feb 13, 10:58:00 AM

Richardson is a tight-fisted s.o.b. - he throws nickles around like they were manhole covers! He had Bill Cower available in his backyard, but was not interested in hiring a head coach who had been a head coach already as they would demand too high a salary - it was made clear he wanted to sign someone who would come with a much cheaper price tag. He doesn't seem interested in the NFL's overall product or even his own team's ability to compete, just in the bottom line. Goodell needs to muzzle him as he has nothing to contribute to the dialog.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:44 pm

stomperrob wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Don't hold your breath for this to get fixed boys.

Richardson is a tight-fisted s.o.b. - he throws nickles around like they were manhole covers! He had Bill Cower available in his backyard, but was not interested in hiring a head coach who had been a head coach already as they would demand too high a salary - it was made clear he wanted to sign someone who would come with a much cheaper price tag. He doesn't seem interested in the NFL's overall product or even his own team's ability to compete, just in the bottom line. Goodell needs to muzzle him as he has nothing to contribute to the dialog.

An incredible part of the problem I have with the NFL. Goodell (and those before him) is commish for the league and placed in position to oversee what is best for league. It worked in past, with Rosell most notably, during an era of great growth in every imagineable aspect of the game*. The money came so easy then that it didn't matter that the commish's office was in direct conflict of interest with the mission statement of that position. Goodell is hired by and answerable to the owners, he is on a tight when it comes to censuring or punishing of owners. So I see no way he can manage to be unbiased in his decision making in the CBA wars.

*Ironicly enough, it was the players success in winning big money contracts that lead to a massive increase in the game's popularity and revenue stream. Now that the money isn't as easily made, the owners are going to ignore the past and try to pay players less. As much as I hate baseball for the way FA is ruining the game, the bloated contracts do seem to generate fan interest in the game, and along with interest comes revenue. Stupid owners.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bungle613 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Can't disagree with either of you and it certainly seems that the NFL is not putting forth an honest effort to work something out. Every piece of news I read on it is putting the sides further and further apart.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:12 pm

bungle613 wrote:Can't disagree with either of you and it certainly seems that the NFL is not putting forth an honest effort to work something out. Every piece of news I read on it is putting the sides further and further apart.

major problem is that the NFL owners have no incentive to negotiate. They won round one in fight over TV money, teams will get paid games or no. So the players will hurt while the owners barely get dinged. As long as it doesn't hurt, the owners negotiating will go like this: Give us what we want or we won't even talk. Try to disband union and we will be in court long enough that players have to cave. Owners think fans are addicts and are treating us with the all the respect of the street corner crack-heads.
Public sentiment is the only thing that may sway the aristocrats, yet most fans seem to side with the owners. sigh

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Ek » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:50 pm

I agree about the public sentiment thing. About the only thing that could get them moving would be a clear signal from a large group of fans that they won't tolerate missing any games. Maybe someone could get a petition or an online group together pledging that, for every month of the season that is lost, we're taking another month afterwards during which we won't participate in any activities that generate revenue for the NFL. The bad news is that they might see this as a bluff (which at least in my case, it probably would be). The other thing I thought of was that a group of fans could start actively contributing ideas to the discussion, either by contacting the NFLPA or their local owner (not sure what the mechanism would be to do this).
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bungle613 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:57 am

I would hazzard a somewhat uneducated guess that MLB still has not recovered from there long strike. MLB was the king until that strike. NFL brass should remember that. They have alot of casual fans now that can easily be lost.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 pm

League, union will negotiate for seven days, allow mediation
NFL.com Wire Reports
Published: Feb. 17, 2011 at 03:52 p.m.
Updated: Feb. 17, 2011 at 08:17 p.m.

The NFL and the NFL Players Association agreed to seven consecutive days of negotiations, a league source told NFL Network insider Albert Breer on Thursday, and the sides also will allow mediation in their labor dispute.

The Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, an independent U.S. government agency, will oversee negotiations in Washington D.C., beginning Friday, two weeks before the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players' union expires.

While negotiations could last seven days, they might go just a few days, sources on both sides cautioned, according to NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

The fact that a schedule has been carved out is a positive sign, but the arc of these kinds of talks generally is up and down, and deals are usually struck at the last possible minute.

"It is a day-by-day, hour-by-hour thing," one union source said.

Added a league source: "If nothing is being accomplished, no one, especially (the mediator), wants to waste their time."

con't...

more: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... _headlines
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Midnight tonight was to have been zero hour. Now a 24-hour extension puts it to the weekend, just in time for nothing to happen.

WASHINGTON -- America's favorite sport is still in business -- for another day.

The NFL and the players' union agreed Thursday to a 24-hour extension of the current collective bargaining agreement so that negotiations can continue. Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday, a member of the NFL Players Association's executive committee, told The Associated Press about the extension after the sides met for about eight hours before a federal mediator. The CBA was set to expire at midnight, which would likely have prompted the first work stoppage since 1987 for a league that rakes in $9 billion a year

http://m.indystar.com/localheadlines/ar ... 010&f=1223
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Ek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm

I see this as a good sign - a 24-hour extension wouldn't make a lot of sense if the sides didn't think they were remotely close, which seemed to be the case about a week ago. Anyway, hopefully we'll know something more concrete at this time tomorrow, but I wouldn't count on it.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk