2011 National Signing Day(s)

Postby Metroid » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:30 am

Discuss...
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2011 National Signing Day(s)

Postby Metroid » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:36 am

Oregon one of the first out of the gate, nabbing three-star offensive lineman Jacob Fisher. Fisher had originally verbally committed to Michigan but jumped ship with Rich Rods firing. Four-star athlete De'Anthony Thomas, who has a verbal commitment to USC, visited Oregon over the weekend and it's looking like he's wavering in his decision to head to Southern Cal. He's going to announce this evening. Oh man, I would love nothing more than for this kid to give SC the finger. :-b

Linebacker Tony Steward is headed to Clemson, sorry Florida.

linky
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:50 pm

I see Oregon signed a JUCO defensive tackle out of Iowa. Jared Ebert is a pretty big kid at 6'4" 285, I like that. Oregon has historically done pretty well picking up JUCO kids, talent wise. Hopefully this is another case of finding a diamond in the rough.

5 Star OL Cyrus Kouandjio chooses Auburn....his brother is a freshman at Alabama. Talk about a house divided. 8-o
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:11 am

Nebraska turned in a decent class, with 11 (^) (^) (^) (^) recruits including 4-star DT Todd Peat Jr. from Arizona, but the more intriguing news came from Indiana's head coach who announced that his DB coach has left the program to take over the same position at Nebraska.

We already have a DB coach, Marvin Sanders, former Husker player who also coached under Osborne. Seems Mr. Sanders may be leaving the program, along with several other coaches who were no-shows at the LOI banquet last night. Bo Pelini was mum about this, but more news is forthcoming, I'm sure.

Rumor has it that Nebraska is going to try to bring former Husker and current Ducks WR coach Scott Frost back into the fold.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:14 am

I've read those rumors too, and they seem pretty reliable. I just hope Pelini has been honest with his recruits, otherwise this remarkable class that's been put together may fall apart. This is a helluva time to be cleaning house, or even tinkering. It looks shady to say the least. It appears that Pelini has waited for some of his coaches to do their jobs, work hard to get their recruits in, and now it they are being shown the door....before the ink from signing day is even dry. I dunno man, I'm afraid some of these kids won't like it one bit. Unless of course, like I said, he's been honest with them along the way. I find that hard to believe though.

Also, I've never had any reason to dislike the Husker program, but if they swipe Frost away at this point, I'll be peeved to say the least. Frost was key in bringing in several kids in this years class, some of those kids may not appreciate him bolting now. :-t

Anyway, fantastic class for Oregon. USC still came away with the top class in the Pac, but Oregon did very well nearly cracking the top 10 nationally with this class. 10 four star and two 5 star recruits for the Ducks is a very, very good day. 5 star standout RB DeAnthony Thomas did in fact give SC the finger and chose to bring his talents to Eugene. If the Ducks weren't already black hole deep at running back, they are now. I'm actually kinda surprised Thomas chose Oregon with the number of talented backs already in the Ducks backfield. I'm hearing he may be utilized at CB initially...just a rumor right now though.

Oregon was in need of WR's with Maehl and DJ Davis graduating, and they cashed in with 4 star Devon Blackmon and Tacoi Sumler, both will probably see the field sooner than later. The Ducks also added 2 other WR's, one a 4 star JUCO transfer and the other a 3 star kid. What do all these kids have in common? They were all either brought in by Scott Frost, or he played a major role in their recruitment. :-[

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Colt Lyerla see some time on the field at WR either. ;-D
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 pm

Metroid wrote:I've read those rumors too, and they seem pretty reliable. I just hope Pelini has been honest with his recruits, otherwise this remarkable class that's been put together may fall apart. This is a helluva time to be cleaning house, or even tinkering. It looks shady to say the least. It appears that Pelini has waited for some of his coaches to do their jobs, work hard to get their recruits in, and now it they are being shown the door....before the ink from signing day is even dry. I dunno man, I'm afraid some of these kids won't like it one bit. Unless of course, like I said, he's been honest with them along the way. I find that hard to believe though.

Also, I've never had any reason to dislike the Husker program, but if they swipe Frost away at this point, I'll be peeved to say the least. Frost was key in bringing in several kids in this years class, some of those kids may not appreciate him bolting now. :-t

All valid points. We'll have to wait and see. Pelini has been saying over and over that they've been honest and up-front with these kids the whole way, but you have to wonder HOW honest they've been. Telling them that "coaching changes could happen" is a far cry from anticipating terminating someone and intentionally keeping it a secret.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Yeah totally. It really is a "wait and see" type moment, which will all play out in the coming weeks/months. Honestly, I'd have no problem if Frost did return to Nebraska. He has to what's best for him and his family. I just don't like the timing of it, if he does in fact leave. I'm not sure what the right timing would be, but days, a couple weeks, or even a couple months after bringing in a fresh recruiting class doesn't seem like the right time. Oh well, what is to be will be. I just hope it doesn't turn into the cluster it could for both programs. I know I'm doing the "sky is falling thing", but that's kinda my MO when it comes to Ducks football. haha. :-B
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:07 pm

How's this for bad timing? A much-loved position coach, Marvin Sanders, has resigned. I won't get into why, but THE DAY AFTER Signing Day is pretty terrible timing.

There are more staff changes coming at Nebraska. Just wait for it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Marvin Sanders has been doing a fantastic job too. I don't understand what the hell is going on in Lincoln.
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 am

Let's say Coach Sanders has earned his way out of a job. He could be facing some legal issues coming down the pipe if what I'm hearing is true.

What sucks is, apparently we didn't tell his main recruit, (^) (^) (^) (^) DB Charles Jackson, that he was "resigning." Jackson found out the day after he signed, and he wasn't happy that nobody hinted to him that this was in the works.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to College Football