2011 National Signing Day(s) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2011 National Signing Day(s)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2011 National Signing Day(s)

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am

Ugh, I was just reading about that. The situation with Charles Jackson is exactly what I was afraid of. Hopefully it was only Jackson not in the know. Sadly, I doubt he was the only one, especially if more coaching changes are on the horizon.

What "legal issues" are you hearing about?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Don't want to say much. Hopefully it goes away, but I don't think it will. It involves keeping his little Marvin in his pants.

Jackson was the only kid that Sanders recruited. I gather that our offensive recruits all know that changes are afoot, and nobody else has mentioned that they're not happy with current/pending coaching moves. Jackson also said he'd be coming to Nebraska even if he'd have known, he just would liked to have known.

In other news, prepare to be raided. We're coming for Frosty. He still owns a house two doors down from me. ;-)

Image -->Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:31 pm

That's cool, on Marvin and his lil Marvin. :-b

Yeah, as far as the Jackson situation, it's not a huge deal at this point. However, starting off your college career feeling like the people you're supposed to trust have lied to you, or at least haven't been up front with you, isn't a good way to start.

This is dangerous territory Pelini is treading here. A 10-4 season isn't a bad season. If the Huskers do worse than that, after some major retooling just after signing day....sheesh....talk about a powder keg. He could be a genius though, this retooling could be exactly what the Huskers need. I dunno, hopefully it's the later and not the former...unless they lure Frost away, then I will wish them destruction and misery. haha.

Seriously though, I''m curious, what position are the Huskers willing to offer Frost? Because if it's a lateral move, I'm not sure he will return to Lincoln. If it comes down to money, Oregon has that covered if they really want to keep him in Eugene. But if they are competing with a better job, well they can't really compete with that. And obviously they can't compete history and alma mater.

Also, how well liked is Pelini in Lincoln and by Husker nation? What I mean is, how firm of a grasp does he have on the reigns?
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Pelini is pretty well-liked, but as you can probably imagine people are a little tired of the outbursts. He's justified in some of them, but he has GOT to tone it down.

He's blowing up the staff because our offense has completely disappeared several times over the past two years. Shawn Watson is GONE. He's never gotten on board with Bo, and he's a holdover from the Callahan Era. So is Ted Gilmore, WR coach. Our offense sputters and our WRs can't catch - that'll get you fired from most any school.

I have no solid info on what Frosty would be offered here. If he won't come for a lateral move it might be tough. I know he likes it in Eugene, but he has strong ties to Lincoln still. If they're prepared to offer him a Co-Offensive Coordinator position I think he'll come home, but I don't know if they'll do that. Tim Beck has long been rumored to be our OC In Waiting, so maybe that gig isn't open. There's also strong talk about Nebraska going after Ed Warriner from Notre Dame.

Also, this just in, UNL has posted a position opening:

https://employment.unl.edu/applicants/j ... ls_css.jsp

That would be the Offensive Coordinator job position, I believe. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:28 pm

knapplc wrote:Pelini is pretty well-liked, but as you can probably imagine people are a little tired of the outbursts. He's justified in some of them, but he has GOT to tone it down.

I ask because I wonder how well liked he'll be if he does "blow up" his staff and then has a regression. I understand the offense has had some less than mediocre performances, but like I said, that staff still mustered a 10 win season and an appearance in the conference title game. Of course you want better, but the decision to dismantle your entire staff will surely be put into question if you do worse that 10 wins after doing so. Especially with it being your inaugural season in the Big 10. (to be fair, I don't see that happening)

I wouldn't be surprised if Frost left, just like I wasn't surprised to see Harbaugh to leave Stanford. Nothing surprises me in the coaching world anymore. People who think they know what these guys will do are just fooling themselves. My un-experienced opinion is that it will take more than a lateral move job offer, and a salary increase to lure Frost away. He's well liked in Eugene, and Oregon should be able to match and monetary offers made to him. Again, Oregon cannot compete with history and NU being his alma mater, so it depends on what is more important to him. I just have a hard time seeing a well liked successful coach, leaving a team that is clearly rising, for a team that (no offense) is looking kind of messy right now. At Oregon, hes seen in his first year a Rose Bowl and second year a title game. If it were me, I personally wouldn't leave that unless someone was offering me a significant position improvement. And I really don't see him being offered an OC position yet. But you know a couple more years at Oregon with the kind of success he and the Ducks are having, people will come calling. But again, who the hell knows. He could leave Oregon to take a position with the Huskers as their equipment manager, and I really wouldn't be surprised....okay that's a bit much, but nothing would surprise me. :-b

Oh and it looks like that position has already been filled. When I click the link, it says the page is no longer available. :-B
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:29 pm

That's because we blew it up on HuskerBoard. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:04 pm

It's looking more and more like Frost is not coming to Nebraska. He wanted (allegedly) a Coordinator title, and they weren't willing to give it to him. I would have liked to have him, but not at the cost of that kind of promotion, for which he has not proven qualified in his young career.

Frosty was really in a position of power here - he has a great gig at Oregon, and could really shoot for the stars with Nebraska. If that fails, he stays in Eugene. No worries.

He'll end up here eventually, but not this year. So it goes.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:56 am

He will indeed end up back in Lincoln someday, I have no doubt about that either. On another note, I see that Frost is currently the lowest paid coach on Kelly's staff. I imagine his excellent work with the team, along with this show of devotion to Kelly and Oregon, will earn him a raise. :-?
Metroid

Previous

Return to College Football