Should the draft be 4 rounds or 5? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Horse Traders

Should the draft be 4 rounds or 5?

Moderators: Kareighuis, Cowboys 4 life, Football Moderators

Should the draft be 4 rounds or 5?

Four
No votes
Five
50%
Unlimited (owner declares pass)
50%

Total votes : 12

Re: Should the draft be 4 rounds or 5?

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:30 pm

How bout doing it unlimited rounds (pick til no one wants to pick anymore)?
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:58 am

thriftyrocker wrote:How bout doing it unlimited rounds (pick til no one wants to pick anymore)?

Interesting Third Way. Minimum 4 rounds, pick if it's your turn and you want to, pass if you don't.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:48 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
thriftyrocker wrote:How bout doing it unlimited rounds (pick til no one wants to pick anymore)?

Interesting Third Way. Minimum 4 rounds, pick if it's your turn and you want to, pass if you don't.

I'm in favor of this
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:49 pm

I love that idea the best by far. I hate finishing the draft with open roster spots.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby stomperrob » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:45 pm

If we do it that way, we need to have guys state they are done when they make their 4th round pick, otherwise ya end waitin' for 24 hours for someone to pick only to find that they're done and don't want to pick.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby The Lung » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Instinctive wrote:
The Lung wrote:Voted for 4 rounds. Leave at least a few players on the waiver wire. ;-D

Why? Why limit people who are good enough to find would-be wire gems before they become ww gems?

With this league, I'm currently in 4 different dynasty leagues but I've been in about 8 during the last ten years. Of those, most had smaller roster sizes of 18-20. Others had medium sized rosters of 23-25, but one of them had a roster size of 35! Note that this was not an IDP league and we started 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 flex, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF. Yes, 10 starting positions and a whopping 25 bench spots.

The waiver wire in that latter league was a joke. I was the Adrian Peterson owner, and guys like RB Ian Johnson and RB Albert Young were rostered in this league and were actually offered to me as trades. Just in case, you know, ADP got injured AND Chester Taylor got injured. :rolls eyes: I could go on and on with examples of WR5s and WR6s and QB4s which were actually rostered in this league...you had the backup to the backup at just about every position on your roster. The waiver wire was picked so clean it was ridiculous; I actually had practice roster guys on my team and guys who weren't even on NFL rosters like Selvin Young just in case they might get signed by an NFL team at some point during the season. Whenever a team had mid-season tryouts and they wrote about it in Rotoworld, sure enough at least one of these guys would get picked up off the waiver wire the following week, whether they were signed or not. It was that much of a farce!

Look, I'm all for rewarding those who do their research, follow college football and the NFL Draft process, and know who the UDFA and ww gems are gonna be. But you have to draw the line somewhere and actually have a few decent players on the waiver wire.

My $.02
-Lung
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby aaawall91 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:38 pm

I agree with The Lung on points, but I don't think it effects draft rounds. As long as your still limited to the same number of players than rounds in draft dont matter, as long as your willing to cut someone or have an open spot on your roster to fill you should be able to draft.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:19 pm

Seems like a better argument for keeping the roster at 30 than for limiting the rounds to 4. We should let teams with a lot of crappy players replenish their teams without spending Flea$. Especially guys taking over teams who want to make the teams their own.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Lung » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:26 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:Seems like a better argument for keeping the roster at 30 than for limiting the rounds to 4.

Agreed. My point is absolutely more relevant towards keeping the roster size at 30 over limiting the draft. Since my logic was warped before, I have hence changed my vote to 5 rounds. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:04 pm

stomperrob wrote:If we do it that way, we need to have guys state they are done when they make their 4th round pick, otherwise ya end waitin' for 24 hours for someone to pick only to find that they're done and don't want to pick.

That's how it was done in 1 of my prior leagues. Guys just state "pass", or continue to pick until everyone has picked. But then again, since were doing WAivers all summer I guess it's not really needed.

I just want 5 rounds, the roster limit now is cool. I don't think 30 as a roster limit(honestly don't know what were at now) is too much. I have another league with 30 players and the WW always has some good players in it.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer