Teams worried about Mark Ingram's knee - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Teams worried about Mark Ingram's knee

Moderator: Football Moderators

Teams worried about Mark Ingram's knee

Postby Moonlight_Graham » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:17 am

From Rotoworld - According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, teams have growing concerns about the health of Alabama RB Mark Ingram's knee.
The 2009 Heisman winner had a knee scope just prior to the 2010 season. Lombardi suggested that Ingram has an arthritic condition which could cause him to be scratched off some boards, and said "I think it could cause him to slip (in the draft)." Lombardi already didn't think Ingram was a first-round lock. We've tentatively moved Ingram to No. 33 overall in our mock.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... grams-knee
Moonlight_Graham
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Teams worried about Mark Ingram's knee

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:14 am

I think if he slips much it will be more due to teams desperately grabbing quarterbacks than because of his knee (which allowed him to run for 150+ yards and 2 TDs in his first game back from a minor knee surgery).

Roto is also reporting that QB Colin Kaepernick may go in the first round; this speculation alone is likely to increase the "must draft QB early" mentality that's emerging. Maybe teams should ask that Belichick guy what kind of talent you can find in the sixth round ...

By a huge margin, offensive tackles have performed best out of first round picks, with running backs a distant but respectable second. QBs and WRs are next to last in Pro Bowl appearances, behind only Defensive Ends (the worst performers from Round 1 picks).

As for Lombardi, he made most of the knucklehead personnel moves that got Belichick run out of Cleveland. Yeah, he's the guy I'm taking my scouting advice from ;)
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:34 am

Every year teams are doing whatever they can to either make people think they love a player, hate a player or spread anonymous rumors one way or another to try to get other teams to reach for a player, let one slip, jump ahead or wait.

In other words, these kinds of reports can be accurate, false or both. I wouldn't put much stock in them at this time in the year personally.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DraftDodger » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:20 am

You gotta love the drafters' mentality though, right? "Hey, this guy is probably going to be a complete dud. Let's wait and draft him in the second round and only guarantee him ten million dollars of his contract money ..."

Saying, "We're worried about his knee, let's try to get him next round," is like saying, "I think a terrorist put a bomb in my car, so I take the bus to work and only drive the car to get beer and cigarettes ..."
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby 18 and 1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Report: Mark Ingram not on two teams' boards
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that at least two running back-needy teams have removed Alabama RB Mark Ingram from their draft boards.
"I've had two teams tell me the knee is very bad," said Lombardi. "He won't be on their boards. They're teams that need running backs." Mike Mayock is also "not so sure" Ingram will be a first-rounder. The consensus is that there's better value on mid-round backs, as opposed to Ingram in the first. Look for the Patriots to have a chance to draft Ingram at No. 33 overall.
18 and 1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:00 am

I've got to say, the rumors are starting to work on me. I've got the 4th pick in an upcoming draft and I'm starting to wonder if I will be just a little bummed if the first three picks are Green, Jones, and Leshoure. I guess we'll need to wait and see where everyone goes before I start worrying about how that draft will fall out though...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DraftDodger » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 am

biju wrote:I've got to say, the rumors are starting to work on me. I've got the 4th pick in an upcoming draft and I'm starting to wonder if I will be just a little bummed if the first three picks are Green, Jones, and Leshoure. I guess we'll need to wait and see where everyone goes before I start worrying about how that draft will fall out though...

Here's an article that laughs at the "bad knee" rumor and pretty much comes right out and calls Lombardi a liar: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/mark-ingram-says-his-knee-is-100-percent/
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby moochman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:58 pm

I could see concerns over Ingram's knee having a more dramatic affect than ADP's injury on his draftday. Should he fall to the end of round one, it may have as much to do with a shift in the valuation of the RB position, which has taken a pretty serious downgrade recently. From the increase in RBBC-ism and the high priced, underwhelming high draft picks like Reggie Bush, it seems that teams are adopting the Patriots no-name, journeyman philosophy. Why pay big money to one stud artiste when you can get several laborers to perform specialized tasks? At such an injury risk position it is easy to see how concerns over injuries can cause a Quinn-like descent on draft day.

?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk