New keeper rules... Draft strategy advice? WHIR - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

New keeper rules... Draft strategy advice? WHIR

Moderator: Football Moderators

New keeper rules... Draft strategy advice? WHIR

Postby hammertoes » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:06 am

Trying to figure out a tenative draft strategy for my keeper league. We’re starting fresh in 2011 with a complete redraft, and a random draft order yet TBD. We changed the keeper rules a bit.

-Can keep up to two players from rounds 1-8, and up to two from rounds 9-16 in the round they were drafted.

-Can only keep one FA, and he counts as an 8th round pick.

-Can only keep one player per position (so essentially 1 QB, WR, RB, and TE, because let’s face it… who’s going to keep a DST or kicker?)

In years past I’ve always waited on QB (last year I drafted Flacco and Eli) and TE (Winslow), while I loaded up at RB and WR. But now I’m thinking that I might want to try to target a keeper-worthy QB & TE both in the first half and second half of the draft to make sure that I have someone worth keeping at those positions. I don’t think finding a RB and WR to keep will be a problem.

Then again, maybe I should wait on TE until the second half of the draft, because am I really going to keep say Dallas Clark over the likes of someone like a Calvin Johnson, Ray Rice, or Drew Brees in the first 8 rounds?

I understand that it’s only April 1st, that the draft is a long way off, and that I need to let the draft come to me, but it’s just something I’ve been thinking about.
hammertoes
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: New keeper rules... Draft strategy advice? WHIR

Postby Indibuck » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 pm

hammertoes wrote:Trying to figure out a tenative draft strategy for my keeper league. We’re starting fresh in 2011 with a complete redraft, and a random draft order yet TBD. We changed the keeper rules a bit.

-Can keep up to two players from rounds 1-8, and up to two from rounds 9-16 in the round they were drafted.

-Can only keep one FA, and he counts as an 8th round pick.

-Can only keep one player per position (so essentially 1 QB, WR, RB, and TE, because let’s face it… who’s going to keep a DST or kicker?)

In years past I’ve always waited on QB (last year I drafted Flacco and Eli) and TE (Winslow), while I loaded up at RB and WR. But now I’m thinking that I might want to try to target a keeper-worthy QB & TE both in the first half and second half of the draft to make sure that I have someone worth keeping at those positions. I don’t think finding a RB and WR to keep will be a problem.

Then again, maybe I should wait on TE until the second half of the draft, because am I really going to keep say Dallas Clark over the likes of someone like a Calvin Johnson, Ray Rice, or Drew Brees in the first 8 rounds
?

I understand that it’s only April 1st, that the draft is a long way off, and that I need to let the draft come to me, but it’s just something I’ve been thinking about.

Interesting keeper rules.

One thing that struck me when we did the Cafe "extremely early mock draft" (seen here: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/player_rankings.php) was how deep the TE position is. Even in a 12 team PPR draft scenario, there are still roster-worthy TEs that went undrafted. I would wait on the position... like you said, you're not keeping Clark over any premium RB or WR. And I think that point becomes moot, as other owners will take TEs probably a bit too early. That just means better RBs and WRs for you to choose from.

Same thing for QBs. If there is a top-7 QB available in the late 5th/early 6th round, I probably take him there if I am confident with my draft thus far. Otherwise I wait.

In rounds 8, 9, and 10, I am taking the best available QB or TE, regardless if an elite player fell to me earlier in the draft.

Good luck. ;-D
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby abassett » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Do you have to keep one of each target. I agree, you should wait on TE and just stack on upside WRs and RBs. As for QB, in a redraft, I would target Josh Freeman. You won't have to use a top pick, and he was top 10 last year (his 2nd year in NFL). He was very steady and the only bad performance was against PIT. He could turn into a very good QB quickly and could be a nice keeper. Brady and Manning are getting older and start to carry a little more risk each year.
Forum newbie, not fantasy football newbie
abassett
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby srlarson » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:45 pm

assumption.....is you loose the round of the guys you keep, in the next draft?

comment - i would push for an auction.....drafts and keepers ...yuk!! but that is a different topic.....

I think this has to add to the fluid part of the draft those that can adjust the best will have value.....TE definately in round 9-16.....

Then I would look for sleepers late....rookie RB's in spots.....young WR......this year would be good to have Dez or m Williams in one of those late picks......

QB's...I wouldn't pass on one of the top guys early just because of this rule.....but if they go....then roll the dice.....another thought late round flier (9,10)on a guy like Kolb if he stays in Phily..one Vick will miss games....and he's out after next year....will start somewhere.....if he's not traded earlier.....

Just a few thoughts......Good Luck!!
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions