Keeper League Pre-Draft trade (Brady for Gore!) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Keeper League Pre-Draft trade (Brady for Gore!)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper League Pre-Draft trade (Brady for Gore!)

Postby snixx79 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi all!

12 team h2h league, we keep 8 players annually
Rules:
6 pts for ALL tds
Rush: 1 pt every 10 yds
Rec: 1 pt every 10 yds (NON PPR)
Pass: 1 pt every 25 yds
Def/ST Scoring: 6 pts for td, 6 pts for shutout, 3 pts for int/fumbrec, 2 pts sack/safety

we start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, K, DST

I am currently keeping:
QB: Brady
RB: Moreno, McCoy, P.Thomas
WR: Roddy White, Colston, M.Williams(TB)
TE: Gates

Dropping:
QB: Josh Freeman
RB: McGahee, B.Scott
WR: Branch, Tate, Avery
TE: Greg Olsen

Another owner is desparate for a QB, and has Gore, JStew, Ryan Mathews, Blount at RB and is shopping Gore. Is Brady for Gore a good deal? I am not happy with Thomas as my rb3, and Moreno, McCoy and Gore would be formidable. However, we do not play a flex, we play 2 RB and 3WR format. Is this worth it?

In a keeper i might be able to get away with keeping Freeman if i get food value for Brady. Brady however is top 5 in league scoring every year. Would the difference between starting Gore vs Moreno or Thomas every week make up for the difference between Brady to Freeman?

WHIR! Leave a link! And thanks again!
snixx79
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper League Pre-Draft trade (Brady for Gore!)

Postby Indibuck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 pm

This is a toughie...

Many leagues score QB points as 1 point per 50 yards passing and 4 for TDs. So if Brady QB passes for say 300 yards and 3 TDs, that's 18 points. And let's say Gore reaches a somewhat equal milestone of 100 yards and 1 TD, that's 16 points. Basically the same score.

But with your league, Gore scores 16 but Brady scores 30. Big difference. Your league scoring system really rewards elite QBs that put up decent yardage numbers.

I think Josh Freeman is a prime sleeper for 2011 at QB... but he's certainly not elite. And with teams keeping 8 players, that means likely all the elite QBs are kept (as well as several 2nd tier QBs as well, I'm sure).

It seems to me that you need an elite QB to truly contend. You are set at WR and TE, and RB is somewhat weak behind McCoy, so you have correctly identified your teams' weakness. In 90% of cases, I would tell the owner to do the deal. But not in this case, despite the big upgrade at RB. I would pass on this deal due to your scoring system and the probable lack of replacement QBs.

I would look to maybe trade some combo of Freeman/Thomas/Moreno for an upgrade at RB though.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby danielgreen091 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 pm

If you had another decent QB like Eli to keept I would say do it. Otherwise you are giving up a prime STARTER to have a prime backup.

Help
viewtopic.php?t=489978
danielgreen091
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Venom » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:04 am

I always play the numbers.

12 teams, 8 man keep.

Each team is definitely keeping one, if not 2 QBs.

They have the point upgrade in your particular league, so top QBs are at a premium. The top 12 if not 15 or so are already gone by draft day.

Even if you were dismal at RB I wouldn't give him up. You can sometimes scour the WW after an injury and snag an option to put up points at RB throughout the season.

Name the last QB that you picked up as a FA and were able to plug him in consistently...

Keep Brady.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions