Draft Analysis - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to 2013 NFL Draft

Draft Analysis

Re: Draft Analysis

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 pm

Kareighuis wrote:Mallett's character concerns aren't unproven. He has substance/alcohol abuse issues and bristled when repeatedly asked about them at the combine. That's without even mentioning his total lack of mobility.

Rotoworld- "While Mallett boasts an arm touched by the gods, he also possesses the sloth-like movement of a late-career Drew Bledsoe. Worse, there have documented reports of drug usage and consumption issues in college to go with character red flags." (sic)
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Indibuck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Kareighuis wrote:What has jumped out to you in the NFL draft? What aspects of the trades grab your interest? What picks surprised you? What was the best prospect/scheme match? What drop/reach was warranted?

I'm surprised about the Redskins/Jaguars trade-
1- The Redskins actually traded down, and got a 2nd round pick for it. Considering that team doesn't have a 3rd or 4th, that's significant. Will they manage to trade down again?;
2- Does the Jax drafting of Gabbert make Garrard tradeable/cuttable? Would that make him the best stopgap QB available?

No, I think Garrard is around at least another year... Del Rio needs to win NOW. And Gabbert could use a "redshirt" year.

As a Matt Ryan owner, love the move up to get Julio Jones.
agree. I think the Falcons went "all in" on this move... and I think the Saints "called'!

While everyone is surprised about the Vikes getting Ponder, it's the next pick that has me surprised. Detroit needed oline help badly, and only 1 had been taken at that point. Great that they could strengthen their d-line, but...
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pick. Fairly is a BEAST. Combined with Suh, that's almost unfair... and a great counter to the powerful NFC North offenses. Yes, the Lions have other needs... but they took the best available player. As for Ponder... meh. As an AP owner in my $ keeper league, I really hope MIN brings in a McNabb while Ponder learns.

I like the Falcons' trade up. Far from a fan of the Saints'. I don't see how Ingram helps the team enough to justify what they gave up- 2nd this year, 1st next year.
Really? I believe that NO's glaring weakness for the past several years has been lack of a true 1st and 2nd down RB. Payton has made committees work.... but I believe Ingram becomes the 1st and 2nd down guy with Pierre Thomas taking on the 3rd down duties with Ivory the change of pace guy. From a fantasy perspective, I like the pick for all the Saints except for the other RBs. And I think Reggie Bush is done with the big salary he is due.

Glad to see Chiefs went WR (major need) rather than working on the d-line, as frequently mocked.
it's nice that they're trying to get Cassell some tools... just not sure that Cassell is "the guy"

Big Faller/Reach- Locker, Amukamara, Castanzo, Carpenter. I know Locker often got mocked to Tenn, but I still see that as too early, based on talent.

Maybe it was a bit of a reach, but I think it became more evident in the weeks leading to the draft that Locker could possibly go top-10... the Titans obviously liked what they saw. I think he's a good fit for TEN -- he has Britt that can go and get an errant Locker pass, and he's got a top-flight RB that excels with screens and dump-off passes. It will be interesting to see where "experts" rank Locker in dynasty terms.

What do you think of the Draft, either in terms of fantasy terms or in real-NFL perspectives.

From a dynasty perspective, I think that being at the back end of the 1st round of your draft isn't nearly as bad as it is most years. I am waiting until the draft is over to compile rookie rankings, but it's a pretty deep class IMHO, especially at WR.
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Indibuck » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:19 pm

I think Mallett to NE is interesting. They can let him compete with Hoyer for the backup spot and see if he has what it takes to be the heir apparent... but I think that NE may use him as trade bait for a QB-needy team (a la Charlie Whitehurst, a SD 3rd round pick a few years ago) somewhere down the road.

Speaking of the Pats and the Evil Genius BB, you realize that NE owns 2 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks again next year? :-*
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Re: Jake Locker at #8 to Tennessee!

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:13 pm

DemonDeacon wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:Sad state of affairs indeed. But then again I could be jaded by the Seahawks' pick !+) :,-(

Mallet to Seattle at pick 75??

I was thinking they might, but the Pats made that one easy ;-)

Not mad at them after 4 picks, I'm just not wowed :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby B3N1ZJAM1N » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:42 pm

As a Titans fan I'm somewhat disheartened but yet intrigued with the Locker pick. Seems if they were going to pick him why not just trade back and pick him later and get a 2nd or 3rd.
B3N1ZJAM1N
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Jake Locker at #8 to Tennessee!

Postby moochman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:47 pm

spodog wrote:I'm stunned only 2 guys came into this thread to post during the entire 1st round. What has happened to the cafe? 8-o

Shocked. Sad statement to be sure. Was really hoping to find some Cafe insight into the draft.

That said, I liked the Lions pick fo Fairly. He and Suh can be a disrupting force for a long time to come. Like Leshoure, think he can be a solid power back for them and should help a pathetic redzone O.

Ponder? Really? Makes the Locker pick look brilliant!

And what was Atlanta thinking trading so much for a risky guy like Jones? Geez.

Ponder?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby moochman » Sun May 01, 2011 12:13 am

Kareighuis wrote:I haven't liked the Detroit pick. If Fairley pans out but Stafford, the franchise's future, gets killed or even worse his career put in jeopardy, is it worth it?

Not sure you could draft enough linemen to keep Glassford healthy. Don't know that the Lions could have passed on Fairley. Paired with Suh, the Lions should have a dominant interior Dline for years. Question their second round WR, could have picked their RB and saved picks to use on OL or better yet LB and CB help. Or they could have drafted Mallet-head. Far as good as things fell into place for the Lions, they sure let it fall apart.

B3N, do you really think Locker would have fallen out of the first round? If Ponder got picked, no way Locker makes it.
Ponder. :-°

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kareighuis » Sun May 15, 2011 11:54 pm

Indibuck wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:What has jumped out to you in the NFL draft? What aspects of the trades grab your interest? What picks surprised you? What was the best prospect/scheme match? What drop/reach was warranted?

I'm surprised about the Redskins/Jaguars trade-
1- The Redskins actually traded down, and got a 2nd round pick for it. Considering that team doesn't have a 3rd or 4th, that's significant. Will they manage to trade down again?;
2- Does the Jax drafting of Gabbert make Garrard tradeable/cuttable? Would that make him the best stopgap QB available?

No, I think Garrard is around at least another year... Del Rio needs to win NOW. And Gabbert could use a "redshirt" year.

---Oh, I agree that the way things will likely go. But, I wonder if a QB-hungry team would be able to offer a good-enough package for Garrard.
As a Matt Ryan owner, love the move up to get Julio Jones.
agree. I think the Falcons went "all in" on this move... and I think the Saints "called'!

While everyone is surprised about the Vikes getting Ponder, it's the next pick that has me surprised. Detroit needed oline help badly, and only 1 had been taken at that point. Great that they could strengthen their d-line, but...
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this pick. Fairly is a BEAST. Combined with Suh, that's almost unfair... and a great counter to the powerful NFC North offenses. Yes, the Lions have other needs... but they took the best available player. As for Ponder... meh. As an AP owner in my $ keeper league, I really hope MIN brings in a McNabb while Ponder learns.

---Yes, Fairley produced well in 2010. But, can the motor/work-ethic questions overcome the glaring need at OL? I'd say no. I'd have liked them to do what Indy did, grabbing 2 good linemen to cover for Peyton as he heads towards his twilight years. Instead, Detroit has to hope Stafford can overcome his glass-like history. Failing that, they need to hope they can be on the plus-side of games like that 7-3 loss to the Packers when Stafford was out. Oh, and they need Fairley to beast out to prove this risk was worth it. If he proves his detractors right, all of Detriot's (and Mayhew's) good work of late gets the monkey wrench.
I like the Falcons' trade up. Far from a fan of the Saints'. I don't see how Ingram helps the team enough to justify what they gave up- 2nd this year, 1st next year.
Really? I believe that NO's glaring weakness for the past several years has been lack of a true 1st and 2nd down RB. Payton has made committees work.... but I believe Ingram becomes the 1st and 2nd down guy with Pierre Thomas taking on the 3rd down duties with Ivory the change of pace guy. From a fantasy perspective, I like the pick for all the Saints except for the other RBs. And I think Reggie Bush is done with the big salary he is due.

---I guess it comes down to how Pierre Thomas performs. I know he signed for "backup's money". If he regains his form, then the trade and selection weren't worth it. If he continues to struggle with injuries, then yes, I can see it. In 2008, Deuce McAllister's final year, Thomas had 129 carries for 625 yards (4.8 per carry) and 9 TDs. In 09, he had 147 carries for 793 yards (for 5.4 yards per) and 6 TDs, but took a back seat to Mike Bell, who had 172 carries. I his injury-marred 2010 season, he had 83 carries 269, good for 3.2 y/c, and 2 TDs.
From my perspective, Coach Payton was happy to grab him as a UDFA, but doesn't believe in his talent, despite his performance in 2008 and 2009. Given that he signed for backup money, it's a shame Pierre Thomas doesn't seem to believe in himself, either.

Glad to see Chiefs went WR (major need) rather than working on the d-line, as frequently mocked.
it's nice that they're trying to get Cassell some tools... just not sure that Cassell is "the guy"

---I don't believe he is, but at least they got him weapons. But, given Baldwin (and his attitude issues) and McCluster (and his size issues) are the #3 and #4 options behind Charles and Bowe, and I don't know about the "weapons" surrounding Cassel.
Big Faller/Reach- Locker, Amukamara, Castanzo, Carpenter. I know Locker often got mocked to Tenn, but I still see that as too early, based on talent.
Maybe it was a bit of a reach, but I think it became more evident in the weeks leading to the draft that Locker could possibly go top-10... the Titans obviously liked what they saw. I think he's a good fit for TEN -- he has Britt that can go and get an errant Locker pass, and he's got a top-flight RB that excels with screens and dump-off passes. It will be interesting to see where "experts" rank Locker in dynasty terms.

---Just one list out there- Locker's ranked 2nd in dynasties.
What do you think of the Draft, either in terms of fantasy terms or in real-NFL perspectives.

From a dynasty perspective, I think that being at the back end of the 1st round of your draft isn't nearly as bad as it is most years. I am waiting until the draft is over to compile rookie rankings, but it's a pretty deep class IMHO, especially at WR.

---Agreed. Especially if you're a contending team with an aging WR corp.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby iamgregg » Mon May 16, 2011 12:44 pm

The RB class is also deceptively deep. There's a dearth of blue chip prospects but there are a number of guys who have the skills to be a potential lead, if not stud-like, back.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kareighuis » Mon May 16, 2011 1:49 pm

iamgregg wrote:The RB class is also deceptively deep. There's a dearth of blue chip prospects but there are a number of guys who have the skills to be a potential lead, if not stud-like, back.

Agree. The pre-draft complimentary backs got drafted to teams where they could contribute. Some of them joined situations where they could have long-term production.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to 2013 NFL Draft