Steelers 2011 Draft Review - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers 2011 Draft Review

Moderator: Football Moderators

Steelers 2011 Draft Review

Postby The Lung » Sun May 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Foxsports:

Pittsburgh Steelers: B

Draft picks: DL Cameron Heyward (first round), OT Marcus Gilbert (second round), CB Curtis Brown (third round), CB Cortez Allen (fourth round), OLB Chris Carter (fifth round), OL Keith Williams (sixth round), RB Baron Batch (seventh round).

Analysis: The Steelers did a nice job of drafting for value, which is usually the case with this team. The first three draftees have a chance to start as rookies.

SportingNews:

Steelers: B

They continue to pick well from the bottom of the board. Cam Hewyard, Marcus Gilbert and Curtis Brown all look NFL-ready.

CBSSports

Grade: B

Pittsburgh Steelers

Best pick: Does Cameron Heyward fit the Steelers or what? He is a perfect 3-4 end in their defense.

Questionable move: Why did they take Florida's Marcus Gilbert when there were better options at tackle? They reached on that one.

Third-day gem: Fifth-round outside linebacker Chris Carter is perfect for their system, a speed player who can rush the passer.

Analysis: Heyward will be a good player, but I worry they over-drafted Gilbert to help fill a major need. But it's hard to argue with Kevin Colbert's success in recent years.

ESPN Mel Kiper

Steelers:

Overall: B+

Summary: This was a typically unflashy draft, but what I consider an effective one for Pittsburgh. (And [color="#0000FF"]it's hard to be flashy when you always pick late[/color].) The Steelers needed to get younger at defensive end and they added Heyward within a good value range. They needed a tackle and they added Gilbert. They really needed corner help and got a really good value in Brown at No. 95, then pegged Allen in Round 4. Carter is a guy Dick LeBeau can develop. Solid weekend for Pittsburgh.
Needs: A- Value: B

Bleacherreport

Grade: B

Pittsburgh Steelers

Team Needs: CB and offensive line.

How Did They Do: Addressed offensive line concerns with Marcus Gilbert and Keith Williams. Found a strong corner in Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen.
Cam Heyward was a solid value pick. Steelers did not have that many needs, so addressed team depth.

NBC Sports

Pittsburgh Steelers

B+

DRAFT GRADE
The Steelers usually stay in their draft slot, and somehow find contributors players that fit their style. Cameron Heyward could be a unheralded five-technique starter for years. He’ll continue the team’s tradition of late first-round finds. Marcus Gilbert and cornerback Curtis Brown were solid picks where they were taken and fill needs. The Steelers didn’t reach for secondary picks. Pittsburgh’s drafts tend to look better after a few years, which is the whole idea.

WalterFootball.com

Steelers

Average of 7 players: B+

Brown, Carter; A. Heyward, Gilbert, Allen, Williams; B. Batch; C.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Steelers 2011 Draft Review

Postby Munboy » Tue May 03, 2011 6:23 pm

I tell you what. The Steelers' drafts are pretty boring to watch, I have more fun watching other teams draft, but they get it done. They have a future DE to go on the opposite side from Hood in the near future. They're really going to start having to look for a replacement NT soon, though. Hampton is getting up there in years. I would have loved to see The Pouncy Line, but I didn't really think it would happen. That would have had to give up too much to move up to get Mike.

All in all, the normal solid draft, drafting for talent and picking for need.

Lets see a return to the SB and a win this time!
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers