I went to Vegas for the first time last October, alone (wouldn't do that again!). Here are some quick tips and ideas that have come quickly to mind.
1. Pull up a 100 free things to do in Vegas list, this really helped me with ideas on what to do during my time there.
2. I didn't stay on the "strip", but would definitely do if I was to return.
3. I rented a car, which worked out GREAT for me. As I was able to do the site seeing in the morning/afternoon and then hit the strip at night (which I think worked out as a great plan).
4. Wear comfortable clothes/shoes, you will be walking a lot. The building(s) might seem close but as you will learn, it's quite a hike most of the time.
5. If you do stay on the strip, stay at a place on the Excalibur/New York, New York side versus the Circus Circus side. But of course middle is best (Bellagio/Caesar's Place/Flamingo/Venetian) area.
6. Limit your gambling, this of course goes without saying.
7. See a show or two! .. I loved Beatles LOVE and was left wanting more from Ka .. Perhaps O would be better.
8. I'm a person who likes buffets generally (partly because I could just eat and leave whenever), so some of my meals were just that. MGM doesn't have the best buffet, Harrah's was my favorite.
I could come up with more, but this is a decent little list I put together, plus I should be getting back to work.
I can't wait to return...and if I did, I would probably try for October again, the weather was perfect for me at that time.