Post-draft Rookie Talk - 2011 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Post-draft Rookie Talk - 2011

Moderator: Football Moderators

Post-draft Rookie Talk - 2011

Postby Stelly » Thu May 12, 2011 3:41 pm

Now that the draft is over, what are your thoughts on the new rookies? Knowing their situations definitley change my opinions.

D. Thomas - RB - Mia - This guy was a clear winner fantasy-wise. With R. Brown and R. Williams likely leaving town, he will likely be a feature back with close to 250 touches. Can't ask for more than that from a fantasy perspective.

M. Ingram - RB - NO - He enters as part of a committee, but with the committiee crumbling (Bush leaving? PT injury prone?), he should get some good carries in a great offense. Plus, NO paid a price to move up and draft him. I can't imagine them doing that unless they plan on giving him the ball quite a bit.

S. Vereen - RB - NE - This guy could quietly be a steal this year. With the cluster of RBs in NE, Vereen could emerge as the most talented back. I plan to keep on eye on news out of Pats camp and see what they plan to do with him.

AJ Green - WR - Cinci - A big time talent, but unfortunately entering a crappy situation. The QB situation is likely to be a rookie (Dalton), a end of the road Palmer, or a FA veteran. Not a great situation. I think landing in Cinci really hurt his fantasy stock short term, but I would anticipate he gets a ton of targets.

J. Jones - WR - Atl - Great landing spot for Jones. He'll see single coverage with Roddy on the other side, and has a great QB to work with. He won't be the #1 in Atlanta, but could be a #1b to Roddy's #1a.

I tend to stay away from rookie QBs, so I will let someone else chime in with their thoughts on the new crop of QBs.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Post-draft Rookie Talk - 2011

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu May 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Some more names

RB:

Roy Helu Jr. WAS - Most talented RB on roster. Shanahan not afraid to give job to 3rd day rookie. Good fit for 1-cut system.

Ryan Williams ARI - Will push Beanie and may emerge later in the year or as soon as Beanie takes a week off for a hangnail.

Mikel Leshoure DET - Bad news: Best is a better RB. Good news: offense is emerging and his TD upside will be pretty good.

Alex Green GB - Value will shoot up if Grant is cut, which is still highly possible.

Delone Carter IND - Buried behind 2 incumbents but both of them are junk.

Quizz ATL and Hunter SF - Great run offenses with aging starters.

WR:

Greg Little CLE - Could be WR1 early given lack of talent in CLE. A little raw. His dynasty value jumped the most due to NFL draft position.

Leonard Hankerson WAS - If they don't sign a veteran, he'll probably start.

Torrey Smith BAL - Deep threat for a team in desperate need of a deep threat.

Vincent Brown SD - West coast Collie potential.

Baldwin KC - Chance to immediately start in KC is overrated given they are so run oriented and Cassel is below average.

Titus Young DET - Hype on him died down, but opposite Calvin has some upside.

Salas STL - Soft handed possession receiver who will replace Amendola by end of 2012.

TE:

Kendricks STL - McDaniels cribbing from Evil Bill and tries to turn him into Bradford's Aaron Hernandez.

Cameron CLE - Man, Cleveland showed no mercy in overdrafting athletes instead of solid college players. Another anti-Robiskie who is all upside.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby m16a » Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 pm

Do we see any QBs who will be making a season 1 impact?
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 am

m16a wrote:Do we see any QBs who will be making a season 1 impact?

Newton will be a QB2 or better based on rushing stats/TDs.

Locker will play but will be too risky - some good statistical weeks but too unpredictable.

Dalton will play but will be unstartable.

Gabbert and Kaepernick will sit until December at least.

Ponder probably sits behind a veteran for all or most of the year as well.
thriftyrocker

Postby m16a » Fri May 13, 2011 10:04 am

thriftyrocker wrote:
m16a wrote:Do we see any QBs who will be making a season 1 impact?

Newton will be a QB2 or better based on rushing stats/TDs.

Locker will play but will be too risky - some good statistical weeks but too unpredictable.

Dalton will play but will be unstartable.

Gabbert and Kaepernick will sit until December at least.

Ponder probably sits behind a veteran for all or most of the year as well.

So, in a rookie draft, where are we looking at seeing Newton and Locker falling to?
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Wenchtamer » Fri May 13, 2011 10:50 am

Newton is probably in the late 1st Round range (8-12)

Locker would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick depending on how your leaguemates rank their QBs and how many QB-needy teams you have. He could be anywhere from the second to fourth QB taken.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 pm

For dynasty, my top 10 is:
1. AJ Green
2. Julio Jones
3. Mark Ingram

4. Daniel Thomas
5. Greg Little
6. Ryan Williams
7. Roy Helu
8. Mikel Leshore
9. Shane Vereen
10. Leonard Hankerson

I think the top 3 are near can't miss prospects. Thomas was number 4 given the situation he was drafted in. Talent wise, I think he more around 8-10. I'm very high on Little's talent but we'll see if his attitude has improved since college. He reminds me a bit of Hakeem Nicks. Ryan Williams has a lot of talent but will struggle to produce for at least 2-3 years in Arizona given how bad the Cards are. Helu and Vereen are two other guys who benefited greatly where they were drafted. Hankerson made the top 10 for me based on his talent alone. He definitely could be a #1 WR in the NFL given his intangibles. He did break Michael Irvin's record at the U for TDs.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Devil Doc » Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 am

thriftyrocker wrote:Some more names

Alex Green GB - Value will shoot up if Grant is cut, which is still highly possible.

How do you see that as "Highly Possible"? He's rushed for +1200 yds in 08 and 09, and probably would have had at least 1000 in 2007 when he rushed for 950 in only 7 games as a starter. Dude has been nothing short of consistant and has shown to be a great back.

If anything, Jackson will be out the door and Green and Starks would be battling for the #2 spot, in what I believe will become a RBBC.

My thoughts on some rookies...not in any particular order

AJ Green WR CIN- Rookie QB if Palmer doesn't come back, and Ochocinco "mentoring" this kid....I think its going to be 3-4 years before this guys potential is actually shows.

Julio Jones WR ATL- What's NOT to like about this guy? Other than he drops a lot of passes.... I think he'll end up taking over the #2 WR spot for ATL within the year over Jenkins. A great QB in Ryan and Roddy White on the other side, as long as he can hold onto the ball his speed and rout running paired with his size, he has some very big potential.

Jonathan Baldwin WR KC- IMHO, he's got the perfect supporting cast to become a WR with immediate impact in the NFL and for KC. He's got the size that a QB needs to just throw up the ball and his WR to go get along with big play capability. Cassell also tossed over 3000 yds, 27 TDs and only 7 INTS last year...its like those sprinkles you use on cake, you don't have to use them...but it makes it sooo much better.

Austin Pettis WR StL - Here's a guy who's no stranger to hard work, had to prove himself at Boise St. And With a limited amount of WR talen in the Lou, this young man has a great oppertunity to make an impact if not this year, then probably within 2 years. He's also 6'3 and 209 pounds...thats a pretty big target for a 2nd year QB. If he can get on the same page with Bradford, this could be a future combo that people talk about for years.
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 92)

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 am

Devil Doc wrote:

How do you see that as "Highly Possible"? He's rushed for +1200 yds in 08 and 09, and probably would have had at least 1000 in 2007 when he rushed for 950 in only 7 games as a starter. Dude has been nothing short of consistant and has shown to be a great back.

If anything, Jackson will be out the door and Green and Starks would be battling for the #2 spot, in what I believe will become a RBBC.

The one thing I know is it matters absolutely 0 what a RB did 2 or 3 years ago. Shelflife for RBs is very short, and teams don't want to pay these guys anything. Grant is paid more than he's worth. He's got obscene roster bonuses this year the team can avoid by cutting him right after the work stoppage ends. GB is frugal. If they thought they could survive with Starks/Green, they would do so. The fact there's not going to be a camp now means they won't get a chance to course-correct. In other words, they can't sign another FA if Green shows he isn't ready or Starks gets dinged because there's just not enough time. So I'm resigned to the fact they will keep Grant around for 2011. It will be a timeshare between him and Starks this year. But Grant is gone in 2012.
thriftyrocker

Postby Devil Doc » Thu May 26, 2011 11:00 am

thriftyrocker wrote:
Devil Doc wrote:

The one thing I know is it matters absolutely 0 what a RB did 2 or 3 years ago. Shelflife for RBs is very short, and teams don't want to pay these guys anything. Grant is paid more than he's worth. He's got obscene roster bonuses this year the team can avoid by cutting him right after the work stoppage ends. GB is frugal. If they thought they could survive with Starks/Green, they would do so. The fact there's not going to be a camp now means they won't get a chance to course-correct. In other words, they can't sign another FA if Green shows he isn't ready or Starks gets dinged because there's just not enough time. So I'm resigned to the fact they will keep Grant around for 2011. It will be a timeshare between him and Starks this year. But Grant is gone in 2012.

Now THAT I see being more probable. I could even see the Packers trying to negotiate with Grant like they did Hawk. I think that we are going to see a slow INCREASE of RB's "shelflife" ( I like that word) as more and more teams go to the RBBC approach. Starks show cased his talents late in the year, even McCarthy mentioned that he saw a RB competition being possible going into this year. I just can't see the Packers cutting the only RB they have that's been established. I'd like to see Jackson come back, he was a great 3rd Down back, but with them drafting Green its hard to say. Never really thought about the lack of camp and OTA's in that aspect before...now you got me thinking about it...thanks :-o
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 92)

Next

Return to Football Talk