Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Mon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm

RB Mark Ingram, New Orleans Saints
53%
WR A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals
29%
WR Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons
12%
RB Ryan Williams, Arizona Cardinals
No votes
RB Daniel Thomas, Miami Dolphins
No votes
Other (please explain)
6%

Total votes : 17

Re: Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby Guru13 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:04 am

Chose Julio Jones based on the fact that the original post said the next 4 to 5 years. A.J. Green would be my top pick easy if Julio's situation wasn't so nice; even if moving up to take him early in the draft doesn't take them to the superbowl (and I have a feeling it won't) he's in a damn productive offense that, barring injury or... flop, will bring a lot of targets his way. It will take atleast a year or two for Dalton to grasp what's going on, and that's assuming that at some point he picks it all up, which for second round QBs thrown into the fire is a big question.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Indibuck » Fri May 27, 2011 9:09 am

non-PPR dynasty:
Ingram
Green
Jones

everyone else

PPR dynasty
Green
Jones
Ingram

everyone else

give me a top-3 pick in either format and I'm a happy camper. ;-D
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 173)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:59 pm

I said AJ Green. He's clearly the most talented receiver on the board, and I'd take talent over situation, given how easily situations can change. That said, Julio Jones is also talented and he is in the better situation, so I'd take him second but it's close between those two guys really. I don't like Ingram or any of the rookie RBs really; in fact over any of them I'd probably take Ryan Williams just because I'm a big believer in his talent, but I'd want a top-2 pick so I can take one of the WR...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kareighuis » Fri May 27, 2011 6:35 pm

I (think I) voted Jones. Firefox can see the poll, but not view properly. IE sees it right, but won't let me vote.

I agree with FantasyFutballGuru13 ("Chose Julio Jones based on the fact that the original post said the next 4 to 5 years. A.J. Green would be my top pick easy if Julio's situation wasn't so nice"). Buffalobillsrul2002, the thing that gives me pause with Green is its Cincy- I doubt their ability to markedly improve the team by identifying and retaining productive talent.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:44 am

Kareighuis wrote:I (think I) voted Jones. Firefox can see the poll, but not view properly. IE sees it right, but won't let me vote.

I agree with FantasyFutballGuru13 ("Chose Julio Jones based on the fact that the original post said the next 4 to 5 years. A.J. Green would be my top pick easy if Julio's situation wasn't so nice"). Buffalobillsrul2002, the thing that gives me pause with Green is its Cincy- I doubt their ability to markedly improve the team by identifying and retaining productive talent.

I understand. Though the situation could change either way. Atlanta could get worse (possibility of running game getting worse or Ryan being injured). Cincy could (though I wouldn't expect it) improve. And Cincinatti wouldn't necessarily need to be a good team for AJ to succeed, they'd just need a decent QB or a QB that loved AJ. That's why I'd go AJ 1 and Julio 2. But I like both guys and understand if you value situation more; if you are going for this year you might want to consider Julio...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Kareighuis » Sat May 28, 2011 2:31 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:I (think I) voted Jones. Firefox can see the poll, but not view properly. IE sees it right, but won't let me vote.

I understand. Though the situation could change either way. Atlanta could get worse (possibility of running game getting worse or Ryan being injured). Cincy could (though I wouldn't expect it) improve. And Cincinatti wouldn't necessarily need to be a good team for AJ to succeed, they'd just need a decent QB or a QB that loved AJ. That's why I'd go AJ 1 and Julio 2. But I like both guys and understand if you value situation more; if you are going for this year you might want to consider Julio...

Interesting. I actually would go Green if I wanted to contend this year, and Jones if I wanted long term. With TC and preseason at risk, Jones may not get the coaching he needs- and, he's recovering from injury, but no training staff or facilities. ATL is still a running team and White aint dead yet- that'll cap Jones' near-term production. Despite Cinci's organizational flaws that will prevent them from substantially improving the surrounding cast (except by shear luck), Green will be a WR1 on a team that could conceivably be forced into hurry up, like BUF last year.

Long term, the Bengals will hold back Green (and every once in a while, I hear whispers about his commitment), while Jones will be eased into the WR1 with Ryan tossing him the rock. I trust ATL's front office to replenish the roster much more than Cincy.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:

Interesting. I actually would go Green if I wanted to contend this year, and Jones if I wanted long term. With TC and preseason at risk, Jones may not get the coaching he needs- and, he's recovering from injury, but no training staff or facilities. ATL is still a running team and White aint dead yet- that'll cap Jones' near-term production. Despite Cinci's organizational flaws that will prevent them from substantially improving the surrounding cast (except by shear luck), Green will be a WR1 on a team that could conceivably be forced into hurry up, like BUF last year.

Long term, the Bengals will hold back Green (and every once in a while, I hear whispers about his commitment), while Jones will be eased into the WR1 with Ryan tossing him the rock. I trust ATL's front office to replenish the roster much more than Cincy.

Hmm, how long is it going to be though before Roddy fades away? Roddy was clearly one of the top WR in the NFL this past year; i think he's got at least 3 years left in him. I'd say Ocho looks much more likely to fade away in the next few years. Furthermore, there's clearly plenty of room for a second WR in Atlanta's offense, I mean Douglas, Finneran, and Michael Jenkins have all been suggested fantasy pickups in the past year. Whereas with Cincy's offense, I'm not sure the 2nd WR will do as well since Cincy will probably try to "muck up the game" to keep it close (like they did when they made playoffs in '09). It's funny that we are on opposite ends on this one; I can honestly see both points of view. I just think that Julio at least knowing who his QB is makes him the pick for this year....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby thriftyrocker » Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Kareighuis wrote:ATL is still a running team and White aint dead yet- that'll cap Jones' near-term production.

Atlanta won't be a running team much longer. The writing is on the wall with that one. (Otherwise they would have stayed where they were and drafted Ingram.)

Despite Cinci's organizational flaws that will prevent them from substantially improving the surrounding cast (except by shear luck), Green will be a WR1 on a team that could conceivably be forced into hurry up, like BUF last year.

If Dalton is starting W1, then Colt McCoy is sort of a best case scenario; in that case there will be no startable WRs in Cincy. If it's Palmer, or McNabb, or someone like you may be right.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kareighuis » Tue May 31, 2011 1:37 am

thriftyrocker wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:ATL is still a running team and White aint dead yet- that'll cap Jones' near-term production.

Atlanta won't be a running team much longer. The writing is on the wall with that one. (Otherwise they would have stayed where they were and drafted Ingram.)

Eh. I can see the 1st part happening (not a running much longer) easier. However, with productive RBs available late in the draft (Starks) and as UDFAs (Blount), ATL could run Turner into the ground, then find a RB who could step right in- college back skills easily translate into the NFL. Another option- Tashard Choice's contract ends this season and could reportedly be on the roster bubble. Returning home to fill a RB vacancy would be interesting.
The 2nd thing, gotta disagree with. They could have stayed for Ingram, or moved up for Daniel Thomas, or... Again, good RBs available late and cheap, so no need to grab one in the 1st.

thriftyrocker wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:Despite Cinci's organizational flaws that will prevent them from substantially improving the surrounding cast (except by shear luck), Green will be a WR1 on a team that could conceivably be forced into hurry up, like BUF last year.

If Dalton is starting W1, then Colt McCoy is sort of a best case scenario; in that case there will be no startable WRs in Cincy. If it's Palmer, or McNabb, or someone like you may be right.

Just want to clarify- meant #1 WR on his pro team. I wouldn't consider him a WR1 on a fantasy team unless the roster is real weak.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:26 pm

biju wrote:Jones is not as solid of a talent but has clearly landed himself in a better position.

I disagree with this and not sure why some feel this way. Jones is every bit of the talent AJ Green is, and a very good argument can be made that he's a better talent. Julio was rated higher after HS(yes I know it's high school but it's not like JJ came out of nowhere, he's been a manchild since 17), Julio is faster, bigger, stronger, every bit the play-maker AJ is, and his situation is 10x better maybe more. He has a QB who can get him the ball, will see #2 DB's and single coverage, and in 3 years he'll be the sure fire #1 WR with a very good QB in the middle of his prime. Only thng AJ does better is catches everything, but if you look at it that way AJ is Cris Carter and Julio is TO and when both are in their prime I'll take the elite play-maker who makes more plays and has more easy drops.

He dominated the SEC as a freshman, taking the best they had, and his only knocks against him he proved wrong. I liked Julio more before the combine as well. I'm going for the homerun, especially with the 1st pick. I can't see AJ topping JJ at least in my opinion.

Ingram is 3rd.RB's have shorter shelf life(yes I know were grading the next 5 years but its still a dynasty draft), NO has never been a running team and when has Payton relied on 1 RB? Maybe Ingram is gonna be his best, most traditional RB, but I don't trust him, or NO, or Brees to turn into the Ravens. That offense would better suit a more well rounded guy who catches passes, Ingram will be too sporadic IMO.

I think people are overlooking Julio. Ideally his best place was STL but ATL is a close 2nd because for the targets he loses to Roddy he gains in less attention. Polls over but just my 2 cents.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer