Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Mon May 30, 2011 8:52 pm

RB Mark Ingram, New Orleans Saints
53%
WR A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals
29%
WR Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons
12%
RB Ryan Williams, Arizona Cardinals
No votes
RB Daniel Thomas, Miami Dolphins
No votes
Other (please explain)
6%

Total votes : 17

Re: Who is the #1 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:41 am

LS2throwed wrote:Ingram is 3rd.RB's have shorter shelf life(yes I know were grading the next 5 years but its still a dynasty draft), NO has never been a running team and when has Payton relied on 1 RB? Maybe Ingram is gonna be his best, most traditional RB, but I don't trust him, or NO, or Brees to turn into the Ravens. That offense would better suit a more well rounded guy who catches passes, Ingram will be too sporadic IMO.

I agreed with you all over the place- but here. Payton, when he has good RB play, will use the ground game. In 06, Payton's 1st year in NO, Deuce got 244 carries for 1057 yards, with 10 TDs. The top 2 backs had 1622 yards and 16 TDs combined. In 08, Pierre Thomas' breakout year, the top 3 backs combined for 1447 and 16 TDs, led by Thomas' 625 (4.8 avg) and 9. In 2009, Thomas was again the team's leading rusher (793/6) as the team's top 2 RBs gobbled up 1447 yards and 11 TDs. The years not mentioned, injuries and ineffective play led to a multitude of backs getting significant carries, creating the popular impression that dominates FFers minds.

It'd be interesting to see what percentage of a teams' rushing yards were earned by their leading rushers, across both teams and years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 am

Kareighuis wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Ingram is 3rd.RB's have shorter shelf life(yes I know were grading the next 5 years but its still a dynasty draft), NO has never been a running team and when has Payton relied on 1 RB? Maybe Ingram is gonna be his best, most traditional RB, but I don't trust him, or NO, or Brees to turn into the Ravens. That offense would better suit a more well rounded guy who catches passes, Ingram will be too sporadic IMO.

I agreed with you all over the place- but here. Payton, when he has good RB play, will use the ground game. In 06, Payton's 1st year in NO, Deuce got 244 carries for 1057 yards, with 10 TDs. The top 2 backs had 1622 yards and 16 TDs combined. In 08, Pierre Thomas' breakout year, the top 3 backs combined for 1447 and 16 TDs, led by Thomas' 625 (4.8 avg) and 9. In 2009, Thomas was again the team's leading rusher (793/6) as the team's top 2 RBs gobbled up 1447 yards and 11 TDs. The years not mentioned, injuries and ineffective play led to a multitude of backs getting significant carries, creating the popular impression that dominates FFers minds.

It'd be interesting to see what percentage of a teams' rushing yards were earned by their leading rushers, across both teams and years.

See I know he'll committ to the run in general, but is he committed to just one RB? In 06 Duece was really the only option to pound the ball, because while Bush had his best year he was still best used in space. And Bush is still in New Orleans who will get his touches. But will Payton ride the hot hand week to week? Is Ivory gonna get goal line carries time to time? Is PIerre an afterthought? They have 4 RB's right now, and considering the amount they throw the football, still have Drew Brees, and Payton is the coach, it makes me uneasy taking him so high.

I'm in the minority thinking NO wasn't his best fit. I thought for a minute he was going to NYG, loved that fit. They are committed to the run year in and out no matter how many TD's Eli throws, it's their philosophy. I'm always leary of RB's drafted by teams like the Saints, Colts, Pats, etc. I know they always have the best chance for scores/production, but I always wonder how often they'll be utilized, and will they ever dominate the backfield the way you want your stud RB to.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 am

LS2throwed wrote:I'm always leary of RB's drafted by teams like the Saints, Colts, Pats, etc. I know they always have the best chance for scores/production, but I always wonder how often they'll be utilized, and will they ever dominate the backfield the way you want your stud RB to.

That's a good point. I always pay attention to the QB of each rookie RB's team. Guys like Rodgers, Peyton, Brady, coaches'll want to keep the ball in their hands as much as possible. The QBs themselves will want to keep the ball in their hands as much as possible. To me, that kind of thing is what gives a Shonn Greene value- like the Giants, they're committed to the run, and Sanchez doesn't have the "gimme the damn ball" mentality usually associated with prima donna WRs. If KC brought in a smashmouth RB, I'd be all over them, for the same QB/coaches thing.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:09 am

I agree. I loved Ingram before the draft, but I think there is a worlds difference between being drafted by a team like the Dolphins and the Saints. Daniel Thomas could very well be more productive then Ingram the next 5 years due to the fits of each team.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer