Which LB should I drop? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to IDP

Which LB should I drop?

Re: Which LB should I drop?

Postby 204BC » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Let's not also forget that Cushing put up his big rookie numbers when using PED's. Then he got caught and will now be tested more vigorously than most other NFL players. I think he came down to earth last year since he didn't have any "help" and will likely stay down, unless he buys a whiz-o-nator, then he might put up the big numbers again.
204BC
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chicago 2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:51 am

I'd go Cushing, his numbers will go down in a 3-4.

You are aware DJ Williams is doubtful for week 1?
Chicago 2
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Kilroy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:35 am

Chicago 2 wrote:I'd go Cushing, his numbers will go down in a 3-4.

You are aware DJ Williams is doubtful for week 1?

Williams' is about as doubtful as they come, as in no chance in h**l he plays, and I have pretty serious reservations about him moving forward, as I'm concerned about what effect the elbow will have on his ability to "wrap up" when he does get back.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby GoodOl'Days » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Kilroy wrote:From that list it's Anderson easy, and this is a great example of how chasing last year's numbers in IDP can (and will) come back and bite you in the a**.

Anderson's tackle total last year was twice his career high to that point, and borne of a perfect storm of injuries that hit the CAR LB Corps. This year, as a SLB, leaving the field in the nickel (which he will as soon as Beason's back) he'll be lucky to sniff the Top 30, but he's being drafted in the top 15.

Meanwhile, Hawthorne has already shown (2009) that he's capable of Top 10 numbers in the middle in Seattle, and that defense is going to be on the field...all...day...long. If you dropped him you dropped a LB1 with Top 5 upside.

Yes past performance is a consideration, especially with players who have a track record (London Fletcher's been putting up numbers since 1854), but to me scheme, opportunity, and supporting cast are much larger considerations, and from what I've been told I know a thing or two about this stuff.

Whoopsy, on both accounts. I hope you kept Anderson OP, he's on track for a good IDP season again. Hawthorne doesn't look like anything special, but keep him on a watch list.
GoodOl'Days
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:51 pm

GoodOl'Days wrote:
Kilroy wrote:From that list it's Anderson easy, and this is a great example of how chasing last year's numbers in IDP can (and will) come back and bite you in the a**.

Anderson's tackle total last year was twice his career high to that point, and borne of a perfect storm of injuries that hit the CAR LB Corps. This year, as a SLB, leaving the field in the nickel (which he will as soon as Beason's back) he'll be lucky to sniff the Top 30, but he's being drafted in the top 15.

Meanwhile, Hawthorne has already shown (2009) that he's capable of Top 10 numbers in the middle in Seattle, and that defense is going to be on the field...all...day...long. If you dropped him you dropped a LB1 with Top 5 upside.

Yes past performance is a consideration, especially with players who have a track record (London Fletcher's been putting up numbers since 1854), but to me scheme, opportunity, and supporting cast are much larger considerations, and from what I've been told I know a thing or two about this stuff.

Whoopsy, on both accounts. I hope you kept Anderson OP, he's on track for a good IDP season again. Hawthorne doesn't look like anything special, but keep him on a watch list.

Wouldn't say your doing so well yourself just yet...

GoodOl'Days wrote:Cushing put his big rookie numbers up as an OLB. Now he's in a 3-4 at MLB along side tackle-magnet DeMeco Ryans.

Don't drop J. Anderson yet. If you have to drop one now it's Cushing.

Well... To date: Cushing-17TT, Ryans aka tackling machine: 7TT. Ryans was a tackling machine his rooking in '06, since then hasn't even come close to those totals, hasn't come with in even 40TT of his '06 total to be exact. Not to mention outside of his tackle totals, Ryans doesn't do anything else, again 3.5sacks in 06, 5 total since then, 1INT in 06, 1INT since. Cushing on the other hand has shown that he is not just a tackle totaler but he also contributes sacks, INTs and passes defended.

Not saying it can't change, but for now if your gonna poke at someone at least make sure your comments are correct so far.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kilroy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:20 pm

I love how after one bad game folks are ready to bury Hawthorne. Last week it was Barnett (14 tackles today), McClain (10 tackles today), and Maualuga (7 stops today, 6 solos).

It's one game. Granted I thought he'd do better, but 60 minutes of football does not a season make, and I'd still take Hawthorne over Anderson for the rest of the season easily at this point.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Kilroy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:34 pm

GoodOl'Days wrote:

I'll make it a point to invite you to join one of my IDP leagues next year. You think you can take me you're welcome to try, but there are plenty of old-timers here (including most of the mods) that I'd reckon will tell you it's not as easy as you apparently think. }:-)

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GoodOl'Days » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:35 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
GoodOl'Days wrote:Whoopsy, on both accounts. I hope you kept Anderson OP, he's on track for a good IDP season again. Hawthorne doesn't look like anything special, but keep him on a watch list.

Wouldn't say your doing so well yourself just yet...

GoodOl'Days wrote:Cushing put his big rookie numbers up as an OLB. Now he's in a 3-4 at MLB along side tackle-magnet DeMeco Ryans.

Don't drop J. Anderson yet. If you have to drop one now it's Cushing.

Well... To date: Cushing-17TT, Ryans aka tackling machine: 7TT. Ryans was a tackling machine his rooking in '06, since then hasn't even come close to those totals, hasn't come with in even 40TT of his '06 total to be exact. Not to mention outside of his tackle totals, Ryans doesn't do anything else, again 3.5sacks in 06, 5 total since then, 1INT in 06, 1INT since. Cushing on the other hand has shown that he is not just a tackle totaler but he also contributes sacks, INTs and passes defended.

Not saying it can't change, but for now if your gonna poke at someone at least make sure your comments are correct so far.

After I wrote that and was watching the game, I thought, you know I should have made that a triple-oops. Re-reading this thread shows ya, go with your gut.

FantasySportsMaven wrote:Thanks for the help.

Hawthorne was my gut feeling, but then I read that Anderson's pts will be down in 2011 since Thomas will be back from his injury and Anderson might not even start?
GoodOl'Days
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby GoodOl'Days » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Kilroy wrote: I'll make it a point to invite you to join one of my IDP leagues next year. You think you can take me you're welcome to try, but there are plenty of old-timers here (including most of the mods) that I'd reckon will tell you it's not as easy as you apparently think. }:-)

That would be great. I've been playing IDP for five years and maybe half the people in these leagues know how to incorporate them on their teams. No it's not easy. In my solo-tackle-weighted league I have:

D James Laurinaitis
D Desmond Bishop
D Nick Barnett
D Sean Lee (Dropped Eric Berry)
DB Donte Whitner
DL Justin Tuck
LB James Anderson
LB Sean Weatherspoon (Add)

BN
LaRon Landry
Lardarius Webb (Add)

Traded Cushing and Ed Reed for Steven Jackson and Nick Barnett

Managing IDP's in football is the most similar thing to fantasy baseball, in football. I like it.
GoodOl'Days
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby GoodOl'Days » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:24 am

As I analyze my teams for the upcoming weeks in detail, I want to address this a bit further.

Initially my feeling was, well if you have to cut one. It's my fault for not probing further as to why and looking at other options. Sorry, I don't always have the energy or time.

I was with most people on this one, a tough call between Hawthorne and Cushing.

Kilroy was a little overboard on his prognostication of the situation due to lack of respect for the risk in Beason rushing back from a serious achilles injury and Anderson's past success with Beason still active and getting 8 tackles a game, but I appreciate your angle Kilroy. Teams can't win if they don't take those types of risks at the right time. Plus, Anderson could go down this week and those commandeering Hawthorne's potential production could yield as well. When I made that "oops" post, it was during the games and after I learned of Beason's injury, so sorry if the in the heat of the moment comment wasn't received well.

As much as I love Cushing, I'm still selling, for the right price. DeMeco Ryans missed a ton of practice time while the rest of the team was learning Wade Phillips' new 3-4 defense and did not play in the final three preseason games due to an elbow injury, one he should easily recover from. Now this gets good because Ryans is also coming of an achilles injury, like Beason. Except that, according to reports, he came back from the injury properly. His performance in game one backs that up, he posted a split time RB-like 4 solo and 2 ast compared to Cushing's 4 solo and 3 ast. That's what I'm fearing will happen to often over the season. At some point early in the game Ryans apparently was suffering from his elbow and/or achilles injury, so obviously things could change as we know more. For now I'm still betting Ryans eats in to Cushing's production to the point other managers will pay me more than he's worth.

As far as Anderson v. Hawthorne, I'm working with these ranges for production on season total stats:

J.Anderson: 90 solo, 25 ast, 3 sack, 0.5 Int, 3 forced fumble, 4 passes defended.
Hawthorne: 75 solo, 30 ast, 1.5 sack, 1 Int, 2 forced fumble, 4 passes defended. My preseason prediction had him with about 10 more solo tackles. I'm keeping the assists the same because Earl Thomas and others are making more plays that I thought they would. I watch the games, live in the Northwest.

Cushing is more of a high risk/reward guy with more variability. I didn't like that he would be a MLB in a 3-4, especially next to DeMeco. It's not like a 4-3 where he's covering an entirely different area and the extra DL take very few little of his stats. His value will rely on tackles because he won't be in position to get as many sacks at MLB and that's were DeMeco can hurt him most. Sure his 4 INT in his rookie year look great, but projecting ANY LB to consistently get those type of INT numbers is crazy. Also, he probably got such high number because their defense stank and he was on the field more that he will be going forward.

B. Cushing: 70-80 solo, 35-45 ast, 2-3 sack, 2 int, 2 forced fumble, 5 passes defended.

In the end I probably would not drop any of them in a league like Kilroy's, they all have trade value. I hastily alluded to dropping and watching Hawthorne as I assumed the OP's league would be like most.
GoodOl'Days
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to IDP