Plaxico Burress - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Plaxico Burress

Moderator: Football Moderators

Plaxico Burress

Postby m16a » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:40 pm

So, with things going the way they are, Plax is gonna be out of prison soon. I'm curious what people think will happen. So far, I have heard that the Eagles are frontrunners to pick him up, with the Giants and Bears being other contenders. What do we think will happen from a football perspective? Where do each of his potential landing spots give his fantasy impact? I'm interested to hear what people have to say, because it seems like an elephant in the room that no one is talking about.
Image
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5361
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere in PA

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby biju » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:29 pm

It feels like every old Giants player is trying to make a comeback and the media still thinks it's 2005...I don't know why there is so much press on him.

Plaxico Burress is not some sort of special WR. In 2007 he caught 70 passes for 1025 yds for 12 TDs. I think people are forgetting that he's been out of the league (and in jail, not working out or playing in Canada) for two years and is now 34 years old.

He might eek onto a team but he's not putting up more than 30 catches and about 250 yards for the year. He's probably still a decent redzone target, but his fantasy worthiness is very over.
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby Kareighuis » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:43 am

I agree with your general idea, Biju, but I think you go to far to say he'll be worthless. He certainly won't be a PPR threat (I would consider him a non-option, in those leagues) but 20y and a TD could turn your week during the byes. I think he'll be a good pick late, depending on where he lands- just as long as the hype doesn't push his ADP past my comfort level.

The issue the OP raises, to me, can't be determined- FA hasn't been started, so we can't know which teams will be interested. I like Chicago because I think his physique will give him a clearer shot at snaps. Philly's the better offense, but reduces his value if he lands there. He'd have less interest, for me, if he landed in NYG. Other options I've haven't read that need WRs- Ari (goalline option opposite Fitz on team lacking TEs); Cle; Hou; Jax; NE; StL (reunite with Spags; team lacks big target); Ten (rookie QB with questionable accuracy covered well by possession WRs who has better results catching balls away from his body rather than on the numbers).

To me, kinda depends on what he's looking for- playing time or chance at a ring. Some might write off Ari or StL, but being in a weak division with questions at WR, they could be a good combo of both. Not the strongest case for either, but a good combo. Hou's another option like Ari and stl. If he just wants a ring, a deep bench role with a Philly, SD or Ind would virtually destroy any potential fantasy value. Ten, Cle and Jax could be playing-time/no-ring teams.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 3627
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby biju » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Kareighuis wrote:I agree with your general idea, Biju, but I think you go to far to say he'll be worthless. He certainly won't be a PPR threat (I would consider him a non-option, in those leagues) but 20y and a TD could turn your week during the byes. I think he'll be a good pick late, depending on where he lands- just as long as the hype doesn't push his ADP past my comfort level.

The issue the OP raises, to me, can't be determined- FA hasn't been started, so we can't know which teams will be interested. I like Chicago because I think his physique will give him a clearer shot at snaps. Philly's the better offense, but reduces his value if he lands there. He'd have less interest, for me, if he landed in NYG. Other options I've haven't read that need WRs- Ari (goalline option opposite Fitz on team lacking TEs); Cle; Hou; Jax; NE; StL (reunite with Spags; team lacks big target); Ten (rookie QB with questionable accuracy covered well by possession WRs who has better results catching balls away from his body rather than on the numbers).

To me, kinda depends on what he's looking for- playing time or chance at a ring. Some might write off Ari or StL, but being in a weak division with questions at WR, they could be a good combo of both. Not the strongest case for either, but a good combo. Hou's another option like Ari and stl. If he just wants a ring, a deep bench role with a Philly, SD or Ind would virtually destroy any potential fantasy value. Ten, Cle and Jax could be playing-time/no-ring teams.


Again, I don't see how most of the teams you just mentioned (ARI, CLE, HOU, JAX, STL, TEN) would want some old WR clogging up a space where they could be developing a young WR for the future. And the few teams that are contenders have better options. You're talking about whether he wants playing time or a ring, I'm thinking right now he should simply be angling for a paycheck as I think there might be one or two teams tops that would have any serious interest and none of these teams are thinking starting WR. I feel the only reason he's getting any mention is because of Vick's success in coming back to the NFL after his stint in the pokey. Of course, Vick *IS* a special player, and much younger to boot. Burress will soon be an afterthought.

You're right in that if he can consistently squeak out 20 yards and a TD he'll have some value, but I'm guessing there won't be anywhere near that type of consistency. I'd rather have the guy that will give me 3 or 4 catches and 50 yards and maybe a TD every 3rd week as a bye week replacement than what Burress will average.
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Plaxico has way more name recognition that he has actual value. If he were a smart man, and all evidence suggests otherwise, he would dump his agent and find the most user friendly agent in the business. Now is not the time to have Rosenhaus setting rediculously inflated price tag for an aging WR who hasn't played a down in years and wasn't exactly loved when he shot himself.
Role player at best.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:14 pm

I would be surprised to see Plaxico get signed anywhere. There are plenty of better free agent WRs available.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 88
Joined: 10 Jun 2011
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby joejlitz » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:14 pm

biju wrote:
Again, I don't see how most of the teams you just mentioned (ARI, CLE, HOU, JAX, STL, TEN) would want some old WR clogging up a space where they could be developing a young WR for the future. And the few teams that are contenders have better options. You're talking about whether he wants playing time or a ring, I'm thinking right now he should simply be angling for a paycheck as I think there might be one or two teams tops that would have any serious interest and none of these teams are thinking starting WR. I feel the only reason he's getting any mention is because of Vick's success in coming back to the NFL after his stint in the pokey. Of course, Vick *IS* a special player, and much younger to boot. Burress will soon be an afterthought.

You're right in that if he can consistently squeak out 20 yards and a TD he'll have some value, but I'm guessing there won't be anywhere near that type of consistency. I'd rather have the guy that will give me 3 or 4 catches and 50 yards and maybe a TD every 3rd week as a bye week replacement than what Burress will average.

Philly's success with molding Vick will lead more teams to compete than what normally might have been the case. However, Vick didn't succeed until after 1 full year on the bench. It's gonna take Plax a long time to get in game shape, plus learn a new team's playbook. I can see Plax having some success as a big target, red zone threat this year as a WR3; but not much more. Next year, when he is finally in shape he will be 35 and I don't know if he can pull a T.O.

How many creditors does he have? Money might be a big motivator in how hard he works to get a spotlight role.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:21 pm

The height/long arms, I like. Much remains to be determined but in the right circumstances he could be a nice end zone target.

I will always like Plax just a little bit for making NE not win that Super Bowl.
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 pm

biju wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:Chi, Phi, NYG, Ari; Cle; Hou; Jax; NE; StL; Ten; Hou, SD or Ind

I don't see how most of the teams you just mentioned (ARI, CLE, HOU, JAX, STL, TEN) would want some old WR clogging up a space where they could be developing a young WR for the future.

The teams working to rebuild and having less than an outside chance at making the playoffs (Cle, Ten), I can agree, less likely to be interested. But, the other teams in your parentheses (ARI, HOU, JAX, STL) have a good chance at at least making the playoffs, perhaps even winning their division. Hou lacks a WR2 and the HC is likely on the hot seat if they don't make the playoffs. GM Rick Smith hasn't exactly been brilliant (or even very good) at the draft or FA- Ahmad Green is the one that stands out to me, but drafting a bunch of projects to play other positions (like Conor Barwin and Dorin Dickerson) are draft examples. They can't keep hoping the guys will develop into what they need. Either they'll learn, or a new GM and/or coach will be brought in.
I trust Jax's GM more, but their WR spot is more, ah, spotty. They're less likely than the other teams listed. Ari has a good reason, with the lack of WR production opposite Fitz. With his contract ending at the end of this season, they need to show their committed to winning if they intend to retain Fitzgerald.
With momentum building in StLouis, and Bradford learning McDaniels' offense months before, I can see how Plax could work in StL. While they have a number of WRs, none have the skill set Burress does.
biju wrote:And the few teams that are contenders have better options. You're talking about whether he wants playing time or a ring, I'm thinking right now he should simply be angling for a paycheck as I think there might be one or two teams tops that would have any serious interest and none of these teams are thinking starting WR.

See, I have no clue whether he wants the money, or the ring. I don't think anyone knows which he'd be interested in. I've heard/read about 5-6 would be interested in him. Regardless, I don't see Plax as a team's starting WR, unless they're really desperate (injuries).
biju wrote:You're right in that if he can consistently squeak out 20 yards and a TD he'll have some value, but I'm guessing there won't be anywhere near that type of consistency. I'd rather have the guy that will give me 3 or 4 catches and 50 yards and maybe a TD every 3rd week as a bye week replacement than what Burress will average.

I'm not expecting him to "consistently squeak out 20 yards and a TD". I think that's what can be expected on a good day. I see him more as a deep-league ww bye cover. My deeper leagues, you can't get that potential production off the waivers, which makes him attractive. His height and history gives him the TD potential, which is all that I can reasonably hope for.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 3627
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby biju » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:08 am

Kareighuis wrote:
biju wrote:And the few teams that are contenders have better options. You're talking about whether he wants playing time or a ring, I'm thinking right now he should simply be angling for a paycheck as I think there might be one or two teams tops that would have any serious interest and none of these teams are thinking starting WR.

See, I have no clue whether he wants the money, or the ring. I don't think anyone knows which he'd be interested in. I've heard/read about 5-6 would be interested in him. Regardless, I don't see Plax as a team's starting WR, unless they're really desperate (injuries).


I think (and could be wrong) that you're missing the point of my post here. I'm saying it as if Dan Marino were to come out of retirement and then he thinks he gets to choose for playing time or a ring, but every team knows he's a relative waste of roster space. I think most teams are going to feel the same way about Burress, so whether he wants a ring or to play makes no difference. He's going to get dictated which team he goes to because only one or two are going to have any interest, and the one he goes to is going to probably give him very little playing time if he even makes the final roster.
Image
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5941
Joined: 6 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Seattle - Ballard

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 10:44 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact