Plaxico Burress - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Plaxico Burress

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Plaxico Burress

Postby Kareighuis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:08 pm

biju wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:
biju wrote:And the few teams that are contenders have better options. You're talking about whether he wants playing time or a ring, I'm thinking right now he should simply be angling for a paycheck as I think there might be one or two teams tops that would have any serious interest and none of these teams are thinking starting WR.

See, I have no clue whether he wants the money, or the ring. I don't think anyone knows which he'd be interested in. I've heard/read about 5-6 would be interested in him. Regardless, I don't see Plax as a team's starting WR, unless they're really desperate (injuries).

I think (and could be wrong) that you're missing the point of my post here. I'm saying it as if Dan Marino were to come out of retirement and then he thinks he gets to choose for playing time or a ring, but every team knows he's a relative waste of roster space. I think most teams are going to feel the same way about Burress, so whether he wants a ring or to play makes no difference. He's going to get dictated which team he goes to because only one or two are going to have any interest, and the one he goes to is going to probably give him very little playing time if he even makes the final roster.

Yeah, see, I hadn't caught that. I'd cap the interest at no more than 5 teams, and more reasonably a max of 3.

Who do you think will have a bigger impact on the field in the regular season: Plax Burress or Tiki Barber?
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
biju wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:See, I have no clue whether he wants the money, or the ring. I don't think anyone knows which he'd be interested in. I've heard/read about 5-6 would be interested in him. Regardless, I don't see Plax as a team's starting WR, unless they're really desperate (injuries).

I think (and could be wrong) that you're missing the point of my post here. I'm saying it as if Dan Marino were to come out of retirement and then he thinks he gets to choose for playing time or a ring, but every team knows he's a relative waste of roster space. I think most teams are going to feel the same way about Burress, so whether he wants a ring or to play makes no difference. He's going to get dictated which team he goes to because only one or two are going to have any interest, and the one he goes to is going to probably give him very little playing time if he even makes the final roster.

Yeah, see, I hadn't caught that. I'd cap the interest at no more than 5 teams, and more reasonably a max of 3.

Who do you think will have a bigger impact on the field in the regular season: Plax Burress or Tiki Barber?

Burress, but only because he'll actually make a team. There's almost no way Barber makes a team, unless a rash of injuries hit some poor team and they have to resort to him in pure desperation. More likely though that team would be more interested in one of the undrafted from 2011 instead of Barber.

It should be apparent right now that I don't think either will have even a mild impact on the season.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby biju » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Per RotoWorld:

Jets coach Rex Ryan says the team will no longer "force" the ball to Plaxico Burress.
"We tried to force it (to Burress) when we were up several scores before, but that's not what we're all about," Ryan said. "We're just going to hit the open guy." Burress has just 14 catches through his first six games, and has proven almost wholly incapable of gaining separation. He's a poor bye week fill-in.

My goodness, they were actually forcing the ball to Burress and he only has 14 receptions on the year? I think it's safe to say the Burress experiment is over and I'm glad I didn't commit to this guy on any teams this year (not that I considered it).
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:19 pm

He is SO SLOW! He gets absolutely no separation from the defensive back and has dropped numerous balls this year.

I really wish the Jets offered Braylon the contract they offered Plax. Braylon was able to stretch the field and he really complimented Holmes underneath.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby biju » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:34 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:He is SO SLOW! He gets absolutely no separation from the defensive back and has dropped numerous balls this year.

I really wish the Jets offered Braylon the contract they offered Plax. Braylon was able to stretch the field and he really complimented Holmes underneath.

In all fairness, that's what a lot of talking heads say about Mike Williams (SEA), but he isn't about getting separation. He's open when he's single covered because he isn't going to get "open"; Matt Hasselbeck knew it and so does Charlie Whitehurst. I expect to see a better game out of BMW this week with Charlie throwing the ball...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby srn1985 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:05 am

biju wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:He is SO SLOW! He gets absolutely no separation from the defensive back and has dropped numerous balls this year.

In all fairness, that's what a lot of talking heads say about Mike Williams (SEA), but he isn't about getting separation. He's open when he's single covered because he isn't going to get "open"; Matt Hasselbeck knew it and so does Charlie Whitehurst. I expect to see a better game out of BMW this week with Charlie throwing the ball...

I feel like Whitehurst has found his first look in Baldwin this season...I'm contemplating starting him over Holmes this week
8 team standard scoring league espn - week 7 line-up

QB - Tebow
RB - AP
RB - CJ
RB/WR - R. Torain
WR - M. Austin
WR - Holmes
TE - J. Finley
D/ST - Cowboys
K - B. Cundiff

BENCH: J. Battle, M. Morris, Fred Jax, Hightower, Eli
srn1985
Monday Morning Quarterback

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:55 pm

4/25/3 with time to go. Were these blown coverages or gimmes or was he just being a great big end zone target?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:18 pm

scottaa1 wrote:4/25/3 with time to go. Were these blown coverages or gimmes or was he just being a great big end zone target?

one of them was completely a blown coverage...he was wide in the back of the endzone. the other two were legit...but it looked they were still looking to force feed him in the redzone...the chargers just couldnt cover him. the chargers defense as a whole looked like garbage between bad coverage and penalties.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:02 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:4/25/3 with time to go. Were these blown coverages or gimmes or was he just being a great big end zone target?

one of them was completely a blown coverage...he was wide in the back of the endzone. the other two were legit...but it looked they were still looking to force feed him in the redzone...the chargers just couldnt cover him. the chargers defense as a whole looked like garbage between bad coverage and penalties.

I agree. The Chargers looked like crap.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:11 am

Time to sell Plax high. His lows are too low (two weeks held to a catch or none) his typically performance so far is in the 3 catches 40ish yards, and I don't expect many more weeks like this this season. But he has put up enough the other weeks to try and sell high to someone who may like what the totals look like, and his high scoring potential, though in my opinion is too scarce to warrant keeping him around
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk