Dynasty rookie drafts 2011 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dynasty rookie drafts 2011

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Dynasty rookie drafts 2011

Postby Venom » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:28 am

I own Frank Gore in a 16 team league...keep 6 offense and 6 IDPs.

Kendall Hunter is a guy I am targeting...at 11. Gonna be close...
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Seein as the cats already pretty much out of the bag that I really like Austin Pettis can anyone explain to me why everyone has Salas ranked higher? They both have great hands, and have basically identical 40 times. Pettis is bigger, in fact really the only big Red Zone option at WR for the Rams; he's apparently very intelligent, which should help in grasping McD's offense, and he runs better routes than Salas. Salas came from a bit of a weird offense at Hawai'i that basically allowed him to improv nearly every route he ran... or so I've read anyway. We've seen route running cause problems for a lot of young wide receivers in the past. It also seems that Salas is best suited for the slot, a position that Danny Amendola (who's only 25 years old, it's not like he's going anywhere) thrived in last year consistently displaying great hands and incredible toughness catching 85 passes. I can't imagine he's just gonna beat out Amendola in the next few years. Thoughts?

edit: And Austin Pettis can play any of the WR positions, something the Rams are greatly in need of. He'll be in on so many plays.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:45 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Seein as the cats already pretty much out of the bag that I really like Austin Pettis can anyone explain to me why everyone has Salas ranked higher? They both have great hands, and have basically identical 40 times. Pettis is bigger, in fact really the only big Red Zone option at WR for the Rams; he's apparently very intelligent, which should help in grasping McD's offense, and he runs better routes than Salas. Salas came from a bit of a weird offense at Hawai'i that basically allowed him to improv nearly every route he ran... or so I've read anyway. We've seen route running cause problems for a lot of young wide receivers in the past. It also seems that Salas is best suited for the slot, a position that Danny Amendola (who's only 25 years old, it's not like he's going anywhere) thrived in last year consistently displaying great hands and incredible toughness catching 85 passes. I can't imagine he's just gonna beat out Amendola in the next few years. Thoughts?

edit: And Austin Pettis can play any of the WR positions, something the Rams are greatly in need of. He'll be in on so many plays.

Well both guys are probably gonna beat out everyone IMO. I don't think the Rams have enough WR talent to stop either guy from being a big contributor, but Salas is worlds better then Amendola. I disagree that he runs better routes then Salas though, honestly Salas runs some of the best routes in the entire draft and has a firm understanding of the WR position. He understands slowing down in zones to find the soft spot, slowing down to let the WR outside of him cross his body before going into his cut, he catches everything with his hands away from his body, he doesn't round any routes off, he's a poor man's Torry Holt honest.

I think your selling him short with the Hawaii offense. That system is alot closer to what a bunch of NFL teams runs more so then the Boise St offense, in fact the McDaniels offense isn't very different from the Hawaii system, or New Englands system at all. It's also similiar to what Bradford ran at OU and had mastered, so the potential is there for both to explode.

Pettis is a big guy, but he's not a slot or an inside guy IMO. I guess he could, but Salas could also potentially project to the outside. I followed both Pettis, and Young during the season, but more so during the Senior Bowl to see them against upper level competition. It seemed like Titus Young stepped up as more of an explosive play-maker with alot of upside while Pettis was more of the solid possession WR. As far as the route running though, this was what I found from the Senior Bowl from Wes Bunting, 1 of my favorite guys to read:

Austin Pettis, Boise State: Pettis does a good job of getting his head around when a pass is coming in, but his greatest liability Monday was his route running in drills. The receiver coach repeatedly corrected Pettis’s mistakes with his breaks, pointing out his tendency to round off his routes or tip off his break with his shoulder at the top of his routes. Pettis eventually showed improvement in this area, but a few minutes later he was getting repeated coaching on his run blocking. Pettis needs to work on his hand placement, his initial punch and using his legs to sustain blocks. Although known for his ability to adjust to the errant throw, he had a pass thrown somewhat low and behind him bounce off his hands. This was not a standout day for Pettis.

Most notably his route running was mentioned, then this:

Austin Pettis, Boise State: Pettis wowed the crowd at Ladd Peebles stadium with a fantastic one-handed catch. It was almost as if his gloves were sticky. He displayed good concentration on a pass that came in behind him and hot. Pettis gathered in the pass off balance and continued downfield without missing a beat. But this is the known quantity to Pettis’s game that earned him a trip to Mobile. The common theme with Pettis’s performance in drills is the amount of corrective attention he’s receiving from his receiver coach on his release, his breaks and the use of his hands. He’s a natural hands catcher, but it’s very apparent that he is not a refined player in the art of receiving.

The last part is what I think seperates him and Salas. This is not to say he sucked at the Senior Bowl, he made some big catches and nice plays because he did. I think Salas is going to make a more natural fit in the offense right away, longterm is anyone's guess. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettis didn't end up the better real life WR and Salas wasn't the better fantasy WR if that makes sense. I think in ppr leagues Salas is gonna take over the Welker role, they'll throw a ton, and Bradford is gonna use his as an emergency valve alot I think.

I don't want to sound like I'm hyping him up too much because I drafted him in 1 of our leagues, but that was purely as bpa, I was targeting Cobb initially who I had ranked over both guys. I think both will be valuable, 1 you'll probably hit the jackpot, I'm just gonna gamble on Salas. The fit on paper couldn't get much better.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:13 pm

The reason if I remember correctly for the knock on Hawai'is offense was how often it breaks down from the original play; the qb buying time until inevitably someone's open. Like I was saying I certainly didn't watch much hawai'i football last year, it just seems like a big transition. I'm certain I've read about Pettis having solid route running skills (mightve been a video with Spagnuolo or something around draft time, I don't remember), but once again - don't watch as much college football as I should. Either way hopefully McDaniels can energize the offense, I've acquired a few Rams already in multiple leagues.

edit: just read this on cbs. At rams player only workouts BOTH of them struggled with their routes. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:12 pm

I see what your saying, and usually those guys do have a learning curve to learn a full route tree. But alot of those guys that come from a spead can have an easier faster transition. Danny Amendola went to Texas Tech, a Mike Leach ran offense. It had alot of the quirky formations and routes that June Jones had at Hawaii and does now at SMU, and Amendola was pro ready from the get go. Even though he was cut, it wasn't because he couldn't play.

I still think though with McDaniels, and the growth of Bradford, it's a good situation for any WR to realize their potential. I've seen alot of different places rank 1 or the other higher, so I think it's mostly just personal preference.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Yall shouldn't forget about the Rams second round draft pick while discussing the 3rd and 4th round picks. Kendricks' speed is about the same as Pettis and Salas, but Kendicks is alot thicker. Kendicks is a receiver pretending to be a TE. The main hindurance to Kendricks would be McDaniels; McDaniels could possibly copy the twin TE sets Belichick used in 2010. Bradford loved his TEs at OU and the love could begin again in 2011.

The Rams are stacked on receivers unfortunately about half of them were injured for Bradfords rookie year.
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-ch ... l.aspx?r=1
WR1 1. Brandon Gibson
2. Danario Alexander
3. Donnie Avery
4. Austin Pettis
5. Dominique Curry

WR2
1. Laurent Robinson
2. Danny Amendola
3. Mardy Gilyard
4. Greg Salas
5. Joe West
WR3 1. Danny Amendola

Mark Clayton isn't on the list and will likely sign for another year while Gilyard is looking to be traded.

The kid I could see coming from nowhere would be Donnie Avery. Avery is the speedster on the team. He ran a 4.34 40 last month and still not quite 100% from ACL surgery yet.

Bradford could end up spreading the ball around so well in 2011 that none of his receivers are fantasy relevant.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:00 am

Oh there are a bunch of guys high on Kendricks here, but he is a TE. We were just comparing the two WR's they drafted. I agree 100% on it being spread out and around, that seems highly probable. I do think he's gonna find his go to guy though out of the WR group, and most of those guys are JAG's. Avery I felt could be a huge asset for that team at the time they drafted him(but imagine this offense with Desean Jackson if they had drafted him instead), but the constant injuries keep popping up for him.

I'm almost certain they'll give the new guys they drafted ample opportunities to win out starting spots. The old regime players are always gonna go to the back burner in cases like this where they don't have a track record to speak of. Sometimes that's still not enough.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thriftyrocker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:55 am

LS2throwed wrote:Oh there are a bunch of guys high on Kendricks here,

B-)

Avery I felt could be a huge asset for that team at the time they drafted him(but imagine this offense with Desean Jackson if they had drafted him instead), but the constant injuries keep popping up for him.

I'm almost certain they'll give the new guys they drafted ample opportunities to win out starting spots. The old regime players are always gonna go to the back burner in cases like this where they don't have a track record to speak of. Sometimes that's still not enough.

I read somewhere that Avery's 40 time is back under 4.4. If you can pick him off the scrap heap I think he's worth getting. If his game speed is mostly back, I think he brings something to the table the other guys lack. I agree with you to a point, but there's not a lot of "special" in this group of WRs including the rookies, and the best guys will get targets.

I really think one of the spots is Danario Alexander's spot to lose. And the only way he'll lose it is through another knee injury. And I'd put the chances of that at about 70% in the next 2 years. He may not be McDaniels' guy, and they did let McDaniels draft 3 receivers, but he is Spagnolo's guy. CBSSports' review of the Pettis pick was "we're worried about Danario's knees too" and I kinda believe in that logic. Pettis will step in for Danario if he falls apart but ultimately Danario is a better player and Pettis is insurance.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:37 am

TexasBornCowboysFan wrote:Yall shouldn't forget about the Rams second round draft pick while discussing the 3rd and 4th round picks. Kendricks' speed is about the same as Pettis and Salas, but Kendicks is alot thicker. Kendicks is a receiver pretending to be a TE. The main hindurance to Kendricks would be McDaniels; McDaniels could possibly copy the twin TE sets Belichick used in 2010. Bradford loved his TEs at OU and the love could begin again in 2011.

The Rams are stacked on receivers unfortunately about half of them were injured for Bradfords rookie year.
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-ch ... l.aspx?r=1
WR1 1. Brandon Gibson
2. Danario Alexander
3. Donnie Avery
4. Austin Pettis
5. Dominique Curry

WR2
1. Laurent Robinson
2. Danny Amendola
3. Mardy Gilyard
4. Greg Salas
5. Joe West
WR3 1. Danny Amendola

Mark Clayton isn't on the list and will likely sign for another year while Gilyard is looking to be traded.

The kid I could see coming from nowhere would be Donnie Avery. Avery is the speedster on the team. He ran a 4.34 40 last month and still not quite 100% from ACL surgery yet.

Bradford could end up spreading the ball around so well in 2011 that none of his receivers are fantasy relevant.

The Rams have some young talent but they're far from "stacked on receivers", trust me I get to watch them every sunday they aren't blacked out.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:17 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:
I read somewhere that Avery's 40 time is back under 4.4. If you can pick him off the scrap heap I think he's worth getting. If his game speed is mostly back, I think he brings something to the table the other guys lack. I agree with you to a point, but there's not a lot of "special" in this group of WRs including the rookies, and the best guys will get targets.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2011/7/15/ ... nnie-avery

Avery reported today via Twitter than he ran forties timed at 4.25, 4.29 and 4.31.

ohhh yeah!
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk