Rioting in Vancouver - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Rioting in Vancouver

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rioting in Vancouver

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Fans react to Vancouver losing the Stanley Cup last night:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16 ... vers-loss/

Actually most of these people are not true fans, just animals looking for any reason to act barbaric. Most of these people are just a waste of flesh, taking up space on this planet while contributing nothing to it - hopefully many of them can be identified from the photos and charged.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rioting in Vancouver

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Absolutely ridiculous, and embarrassing, seriously ...

On a side note, I think they should be stripped of their gold medals and the medals should be awarded to the U.S. instead. Not sure why, but just saying :-b
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Yeah that is sad... at a time when they should be praising their team for doing as well as they did, a few despicable people take the occasion to loot and destroy. And cast a pallor over all of Vancouver in the process.

Hopefully all those cameras provide enough images to catch a bunch of those people who participated in the looting and destroying and they get what they deserve.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:34 am

stomperrob wrote:Actually most of these people are not true fans, just animals looking for any reason to act barbaric. Most of these people are just a waste of flesh, taking up space on this planet while contributing nothing to it - hopefully many of them can be identified from the photos and charged.

I think it's better to say that these people are not representative of the ideals and culture of Vancouver and Canada.

What's a "true fan?" There are "true fans" of my Nebraska Huskers in the State Pen, convicted of murder, robbery, rape, you name it. I would be willing to bet most of the folks rioting in Vancouver are as true of fans as anyone else, they're just the kind of people who also do stupid things like tearing apart their city over a sports loss. Those Husker fans serving life sentences follow football as avidly as anyone outside. A fan is a fan, and it's not limited to respectable, law-abiding citizens.

I think we have to come to grips with the fact that there are people who do stuff like this in every society. America has been skewered for riots like this for a long time, and we've deserved it, but such behavior isn't indicative of our society as a whole, just like these idiots don't represent Vancouver or Canada, and the Hooligans don't represent the Irish and English.

"You can't fix stupid."
- Ron White

The problem is, "stupid" is everywhere.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 am

My faith in humanity is partially restored:

A city bares its soul
An army of citizens clean streets, pen messages of peace and use social media to help police nab rioters
Vancouver SunJune 17, 2011

VANCOUVER -- The plywood sheets covering downtown store windows smashed during Wednesday night’s melee are today a symbol of healing for a wounded city.

Along a one-block stretch at Granville and Georgia streets, and stretching around The Bay, every single broken window replaced with plywood has now been decorated with messages of hope, peace and good will from citizens angered and appalled by the riot that shook Vancouver.

Mayor Gregor Robertson said the spontaneous outpouring prompted him to ask Bay officials to delay replacing the store windows while people continue to leave words of hope. He said the city wants to save all of the plywood sheets — numbering in the dozens — as a testament to the better nature of citizens who oppose the actions of a violent few.

It started with a simple message at the corner of Granville and Georgia: “On behalf of our city, I am sorry.”

Others added their own missives.

“This is not Vancouver. We can do better than this. Learn from our mistakes,” wrote one. “What an embarrassment to the city and the country. The selfish few owe us all an apology,” wrote another.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouverit ... z1PXwYJWmO

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Return to General Talk