Setting up new league, help preventing collusion... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Setting up new league, help preventing collusion...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Setting up new league, help preventing collusion...

Postby Big A$$ TDs » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 pm

The gist,..
At the moment i set up a free league on ESPN to try them out since they seem them most tweakable. This will be a $250 entry, H2H league. None of my friends can afford that, so everyone will be found online. I'm planning to have fantasysportsvault handle the money, so there will be 100% payout.

The problem,..
I'm a big fan of FCFS waivers, i like that if you snooze you lose. If it were up to me i would let it be wide open all week long for every player not on a roster, but the problemo i see with that is folks teaming up to split the big pay out by dropping players from some mediocre team and having a good team pick them up a second later.

Correct me if i'm wrong, this is my first year as commish, and I've never played on ESPN before, but i think this could be an issue even with ESPN's "Observe ESPN's Undroppable Players List" set to Yes. I think plenty of good players don't make those type lists right?

Since I'm going to be playing in the league i don't want to have to rule over these things during the year for obvious bias reasons, so i was thinking of setting the Player Acquisition System to Waivers, and setting the waiver limit to as low as possible, 1 day. This would kill anyone from being able to collude a super team together, but doing that invokes a waiver order aspect though, which I'm never a fan of. It's either worst to first, or you drop to last and that's completely the opposite mindset of FCFS, you might not snooze but still lose just because you already picked up some player someone else dropped recently.

So,..
Does anyone know a better way?
Big A$$ TDs
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Setting up new league, help preventing collusion...

Postby spodog » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:28 am

I'm a big fan of FCFS waivers, i like that if you snooze you lose. If it were up to me i would let it be wide open all week long for every player not on a roster, but the problemo i see with that is folks teaming up to split the big pay out by dropping players from some mediocre team and having a good team pick them up a second later.

FCFS is the worst player acquisition method available, even in leagues where you know and trust your opponents.

If you're setting up a $250 league on the internet, and plan to recruit 11 strangers, I have no idea why you'd want to go with FCFS. Yes, you're possibly inviting collusion, although I can't imagine that there are 2 guys out there who would go stick $500 bucks into a random league on the internet in hopes of being able to game the ww system enough to somehow win the league. 8-o If so, they are probably just foolish enough that they are exactly the kind of guys you want in your league.

If you are set on doing a public league, I'd recommend you set up either a bidding system (best) or a Priority Waiver system (next best) with a weighted worst to first, assuming ESPN allows this (I have no idea if they do, I don't use ESPN.com for league mgmt).
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big A$$ TDs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 am

FCFS being the worst is just your opinion, i explained why i wanted it that way. I've got 7 at the moment, if anyone else is interested here's a thread on the $250 league: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=490286&p=3310019#p3310019

I made a league rule though, no collusion...

Fan-tastey Pigskin Collective League Rule #1: No Collusion

League definition of Collusion and its consequences:
Two or more league owners who know one another prior to joining the Fan-tastey Pigskin Collective are in violation of collusion. I always want this league to be 12 guys who only know each other via the Fan-tastey Pigskin Collective.

Owners are expected to act solely in their own self-interests in dealing with other teams. Any actions or transactions where two or more owners acting in cooperation with one another to the benefit of only one of the teams or to the detriment of the rest of the league will be determined to be collusion.
"Sharing" players to cover bye weeks or injury is also considered collusion. Roster dumping or fire-sales will be be recognized as such also, and are not tolerated by the Commish.

These are only guidelines - owners are expected to respect the "spirit of the rule". Any suspicion of collusion will be dealt with on a case by case basis as seen fit by the Commish, who may or may not use a league majority vote for corrective decisions, roster adjustments or scoring changes resulting from collusion. Also, a trade vetoed by the league due to collusion does not protect the offending owners from corrective action. Anyone found in violation of collusion is subject to ejection from the Fan-tastey Pigskin Collective minus there league entry fee.

If the threat of getting kicked out and losing your $250 isn't enough to stop anyone from colluding, then well I'm gonna have some free money ;-D
Big A$$ TDs
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby spodog » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:05 am

Big A$$ TDs wrote:FCFS being the worst is just your opinion,

Yes, it certainly is.

Big A$$ TDs wrote:I made a league rule though, no collusion...

[i]Fan-tastey Pigskin Collective League Rule #1: No Collusion

Owners are expected to act solely in their own self-interests in dealing with other teams. Any actions or transactions where two or more owners acting in cooperation with one another to the benefit of only one of the teams or to the detriment of the rest of the league will be determined to be collusion.
"Sharing" players to cover bye weeks or injury is also considered collusion. Roster dumping or fire-sales will be be recognized as such also, and are not tolerated by the Commish.

I especially like this definition. It's the best one out there. ;-D

Good luck trying to prove that total strangers did or didn't know each other prior to joining your league, though.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner