Free Agency 2011 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Free Agency 2011

Moderator: Football Moderators

Free Agency 2011

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:30 am

Now that the CBA negotiations could be done as soon as a few weeks from now, Free Agency finally seems close. The interesting thing about it is that, teams weren't certain what the rules would be after the 2010 season and started putting tenders on players who'd normally be UFAs. Now, it seems, those tenders are useless. In fact, the new CBA seems it'll be reverting to previous Free Agency rules- players will need merely 4 years to hit unrestricted free agency.

What's that mean? As restricted as last year's Free Agency was, with so few players available, the market will be overflowing with players. In essence, last year's free agents this year's FAs will combine with unsigned players with 4 years or more experience to make one massive crop of free agents. CBS' Mike Freeman describes it this way- "NFL free agency will be utter chaos. It'll be like releasing a Kardashian in an NBA locker room."

Who's in this mass of Free Agents that'll be hitting suddenly-overworked NFL front offices? Put simply, look at KFFL's list- not only are all those UFAs available, but the RFAs are too! One website's list of the top 50 FAs.

Who're you watching for in free agency from a fantasy football perspective?
I like Santana Moss, who had a big season last year and who's struggled with bad offenses in NY and WAS. The Skins have apparently focused on rebuilding the WR corps, drafting 3 WRs.
Michael Bush is another guy I'm watching. It appears he'll truly be a UFA, despite never playing his rookie year due to a college injury. Not many RB jobs available, but some recent reports have examined how he'd work in Cincinnati.
Ahmad Bradshaw could conceivably walk, as the Giants haven't shown the greatest interest in continually dealing with his injuries. He's been repeatedly linked to Miami.
On the OLine, I'm interested in Davin Joseph and Jared Gaither. Joseph was an integral part of the line that protected Freeman and blocked for Blount. Gaither struggled playing out of position and the Ravens reportedly won't look to bring him back. An o-line needy team like the Lions could target him.
While everyone talks about Nnamdi Asomugha, Jonathan Joseph is one of the best CBs in the league. One of the losers of the Asomugha sweepstakes could actual win the guy who can produce more statistically in Joseph.

Who are you watching?
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Free Agency 2011

Postby Azrael » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:44 pm

I haven't been following the whole CBA stuff very closely. Are teams doing OTAs or otherwise practicing? If not is this going to set the rookies back alot this year?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Azrael wrote:I haven't been following the whole CBA stuff very closely. Are teams doing OTAs or otherwise practicing? If not is this going to set the rookies back alot this year?

Yep, most teams have been practicing. Some rookies got playbooks on the one day teams and players could talk. But yeah, the lack of coaching up the rooks and young players will most likely set them all back.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Azrael wrote:I haven't been following the whole CBA stuff very closely. Are teams doing OTAs or otherwise practicing? If not is this going to set the rookies back alot this year?

There have been a lot of player-led informal practice sessions. OTAs and anything put together by NFL teams is not possible until the CBA is resolved. Current news indicates a deal will be in place and actual NFL stuff will begin around July 14th. This would let them do a full preseason and full season and essentially not miss a beat (where a beat in this case is a single penny of our money).

That top 50 list is interesting. Hadn't even considered Zach Miller leaving Oakland or Gaither leaving Baltimore. I attributed a lot of Rice's lack of 2nd level success last year to Gaither not being there. It's so late, probably a lot of these guys resign and don't play the market too much. Will still be crazy and hectic once all that stuff opens up though.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby biju » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Regarding that top 50 list, I was expecting to open it up and see no Seahawks on there (since we traditionally don't get any coverage). I was happy and sad to see Mebane up at #9. I'm happy that people recognize how terrorizing he can be--the Seahawks were #2 in run defense when he was in games and quickly dropped into the 20s when he was injured--but sad in that we didn't lock him up before FA and even more so that I don't think our front office regards him as high as I think they should.

If we don't get him back, you may as well upgrade the Rams, 49ers and Cards RBs as they'll get to run on us twice a year.

As a side note, I'm just a little surprised by how high Ahmad Bradshaw and Joseph Addai are on that list as well. I get that Bradshaw has looked good in previous years, but I see him already declining some, possibly due to injury but maybe because of general wear. His first 8 games vs. last 8 games split is 765 yards on 153 carries (5 ypc) and 5 TDs, against 470 yards on 123 carries (3.8 ypc) and 3 TDs. Can he hold up for a full load? I think not, so I'm not sure why he would be so high on the list.

Addai is also questionable.

I personally would expect teams have greater interested in Michael Bush who is also young but has little wear and has shown good potential. I salivate over a team like the Giants picking up Michael Bush instead of Bradshaw.

:-L
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Simply put. Its going to be crazy. Alot of uncertainty made teams do things they normally woudn't have. Like the 9ers keeping Alex Smith.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Azrael » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:50 am

I bet the fantasy mag business is suffering with all this stuff yet to be resolved.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk