Please provide feedback on a fantasy sports App - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Please provide feedback on a fantasy sports App

Moderator: Football Moderators

Please provide feedback on a fantasy sports App

Postby dp35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi. I am developing an iphone/android app and would appreciate some feedback from people. I have observed that winning online Fantasy Football leagues can be helped greatly by being the first to pick up breaking out undrafted players. For example Mickael Vick, Brandon LLoyd, Peyton Hillis etc. What my app will do is it will allow you to screen live game stats for potential breakout ie, you could say that if any undrafted player in your fantasy league scores x amount of touchdowns or has x amount of receptions or x amount of passing yards etc, you will instantly be notified via a push message. Would this be something people who play fantasy sports would pay for? I'm planning on pricing it at $4.99.
dp35
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Please provide feedback on a fantasy sports App

Postby Venom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:59 pm

I'd work on a simple free version and find out how much support you get.

People aren't going to shell out $5 if they aren't sure the info is worth it.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby dp35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:13 pm

Unfortunately a free version isn't really an option as accessing the data is rather expensive. Over $10k. There would be a limited free version. The real question is if it works as advertised would people spend $5.
dp35
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Venom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:19 pm

If there is a limited free version then I would say yes.

People want to know if the product is worth the cash.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:17 pm

I wouldn't waste $5 on an app like that. I don't have any leagues that allow you to claim a player while he is playing. Most leagues waivers clear in middle of the night between Tuesday and Wednesday. That timeline gives me plenty of time to checkout player stats.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dp35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Do most people not play firstcome first serve fantasy football?
dp35
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:38 pm

dp35 wrote:Do most people not play firstcome first serve fantasy football?

A lot of leagues are changing to a 'blind-bidding' system. That's not to say most though, usually there's different rules for players on the waiver wire and in free agency.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:29 pm

Most of my leagues have waivers. I like the idea for leagues with an open WW but Im not sure it will benefit most of the leagues. And getting people to pay that for an app is going to be tough man.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:36 pm

We did first come first serve years and years ago, we really knew no better though. It was just a simple redraft with the same 12 guys we have done for 10 years or so. It just became a pain because to have an advantage you had to watch every game with your laptop literally in front of you, and as soon as Brian Westbrook limped off you had to run to grab his handcuff before any news broke. It was a bit too much. This coming from a guy who happens to enjoy secluding out girlfriend, family, etc on Sundays and watching games while on my laptop.

That said about the app, point blank nobody is gonna get it if you have to pay. People don't even buy apps through the itunes store that cost 2$. There are 2 many bugs with apps, maybe it's not configured right, you'd ideally need a free app that was limited and showed it was worth the $. 5$ for any app is too much IMO, I'd never buy a fantasy sports app that high.

FleaFlicker has an app, it's free, but only for emergencies. If I need to change a start and I'm not at home I'll use it. I can't see the msg board, propose trades or see trades, among other things. Even for 2$ I wouldn't see the need to get it but that's just me, not to say everyone feels that way. Just would hate for you to go through a bunch of trouble and expect to make your $ back at 5$ a pop, especially if it's not an easy recognizable name for people to trust.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby glackk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 am

As has been stated, many of the "seasoned" fantasy managers prefer waiver systems that don't require you to have a quick trigger for pickups.

It definitely would be useful for leagues that do have free agents during games. I would recommend doing a back-of-the-napkin calculation on realistic numbers for your app.

If it costs $10k to access the data per season and you'd make $2.50 (half of $5) per app sale, you'd need 4000 downloads to just break even. I would rule out ads to supplement the income if you're going to be charging that much for the app. If you think you can get more than 5000 downloads per season, then maybe consider doing it. Personally I think it's a very big risk to take.

Good luck if you decide to go through with it.
glackk
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk