2011 QB carousel - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2011 QB carousel

Moderator: Football Moderators

2011 QB carousel

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:38 am

More than any year I can remember there is simply a ton of question marks at the QB position. I haven't spent a huge amount of time on it but I can't see enough decent QB's available to fill current NFL openings. Anyone want to chime in on how they think this will play out.

Miami - Henne (they don't seem to want him or at least don't trust him. He should be the week 1 starter and has no one really behind him)
Cincy - Dalton (a raw rookie with very little chance Palmer plays for the bungles again)
Cleveland - McCoy (I like him but it will be another long season in Clev)
Jax - Garrard (poor guy, rodney dangerfield of QB's. No respect. Not great but plays hard and wins> Gabbert waiting)
Ten - Locker (another raw rookie, how will CJ handle that. Could be Kerry Collins as QB1)
Den - Tebow or Orton ( My money is on Orton but it may come down to ticket sales and merchandise and Tebow will win that battle)
Wash - Beck (yup, John Beck. That is just ugly)
Minny - Ponder (Rookie #3. ADP and Gerhart getting 50+ carries a game?)
Carolina - Newton (Rookie #4. and no WR's to throw to, I really hope they get somone so this kid can sit for a year)
Sea - Hasselbeck (Currently unsigned but should be QB1)
Zona - Skelton (well, we know that ain't gonna happen. Kolb should be the guy)
S.F. Smith ( Unsigned but should be QB1 but on a short leash with Kaepernick behind him)

WIld cards are...

Kolb - should be in Zona
Palmer - Rumours are Seattle but I don't see it
McNabb - Minny is rumoured, again, dont buy it.

What or who am I missing.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2012 QB carousel

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:58 am

bungle613 wrote:More than any year I can remember there is simply a ton of question marks at the QB position. I haven't spent a huge amount of time on it but I can't see enough decent QB's available to fill current NFL openings. Anyone want to chime in on how they think this will play out.

Cincy - Dalton (a raw rookie with very little chance Palmer plays for the bungles again)
Jax - Garrard (poor guy, rodney dangerfield of QB's. No respect. Not great but plays hard and wins> Gabbert waiting)
Ten - Locker (another raw rookie, how will CJ handle that. Could be Kerry Collins as QB1)
Den - Tebow or Orton ( My money is on Orton but it may come down to ticket sales and merchandise and Tebow will win that battle)
Carolina - Newton (Rookie #4. and no WR's to throw to, I really hope they get somone so this kid can sit for a year)
S.F. Smith ( Unsigned but should be QB1 but on a short leash with Kaepernick behind him)

WIld cards are...

Kolb - should be in Zona

Buffalo- I think Fitzpatrick may be there for awhile
Miami - He wins the job by default, and unless he reaches his potential we will see Miami cycle through many QBs this year is my guess.
Cincinnati- Palmer isn't traded, retires (at least for the near future and relevant to this season). My guess is they bring in someone, and Dalton sits for a year. Marvin Lewis saw what it did for Palmer and he started a craze of teams trying to give QBs more time to develop instead of throwing them in.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:16 am

aaawall91 wrote:
bungle613 wrote:More than any year I can remember there is simply a ton of question marks at the QB position. I haven't spent a huge amount of time on it but I can't see enough decent QB's available to fill current NFL openings. Anyone want to chime in on how they think this will play out.

WIld cards are...

Kolb - should be in Zona

Buffalo- I think Fitzpatrick may be there for awhile
Miami - He wins the job by default, and unless he reaches his potential we will see Miami cycle through many QBs this year is my guess.
Cincinnati- Palmer isn't traded, retires (at least for the near future and relevant to this season). My guess is they bring in someone, and Dalton sits for a year. Marvin Lewis saw what it did for Palmer and he started a craze of teams trying to give QBs more time to develop instead of throwing them in.

Apologies but I am not sure I can trust your judgement Tootie! ;-) :-b
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thriftyrocker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:36 am

Do you really mean 2012?

Cincy - Signs a vet for 2011. Guessing McNabb, but only rumors so far is Gradkowski. Assuming the team is below 500 (pretty safe bet) Dalton starts in December, then he is unencumbered starter in 2012.
Cleveland - This is McCoy's time. If team is < 6-10, they'll spend a high pick or FA$ on a QB next year.
Jax - Garrard starts 4 or less games. Gabbert gets the rest of the year.
Ten - Low price vet starts 8 or less games. Locker gets the rest of the year.
Den - Orton traded. Tebow starts. If team is < 6-10, an "Elway guy" is brought in.
Wash - Suck for Luck with Beck and Rex.
Minny - Wouldn't be surprised to see Ponder start W1. Don't think they will go with a high profile vet like McNabb.
Carolina - Newton all year long.
Sea - Hasselbeck kept and Leinart brought in, and Leinart beats out Whitehurst in "camp" to be first backup.
Zona - Kolb, Orton, or Bulger in that order.
S.F. - I think Smith gets most of the year. Kaepernick maybe 2 or 3 games like Tebow did last year only if they are completely out of it (which is hard in the NFCW).
Miami - Signs a vet before the season starts. Guessing Orton. Maybe Palmer trade.
Buffalo - Thigpen brought in for backup money. Don't get a high profile QB until after Gailey leaves.

Vince Young - either Oakland as a starter or Philly to replace Kolb.
Palmer - trade demands means needy teams get Orton and Kolb first and market is low for 2011. Sits out a year and then starts somewhere in 2012.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby daullaz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 am

I wrote an article back in May with my guesses here:

http://www.fanduel.com/insider/2011/05/ ... 11-season/

It would obviously be a bit different two months later, but we'll see how many I get right anyway.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:05 am

daullaz wrote:I wrote an article back in May with my guesses here:

http://www.fanduel.com/insider/2011/05/ ... 11-season/

It would obviously be a bit different two months later, but we'll see how many I get right anyway.

Nice piece daullaz.

And yeah, Thrifty, meant 2011. Corrected.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Re: 2011 QB carousel

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Has there ever been a time where so many teams have such weakness at the most important position?
Cincy is in real trouble if they don't shore up their QBing. They have enough talent on that team to do well with steady QB play. Play you don't expect and rarely get from rookies, let alone rookies not looked upon as a franchise player. Is there back-up Some other Palmer and Dan LeFevour? Ouch, Supposedly he has a good head on his shoulders and an accurate arm, but unless Dalton goes all Roadhouse the Bengals could find that pain does hurt.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Guru13 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:05 pm

moochman wrote:Has there ever been a time where so many teams have such weakness at the most important position?
Cincy is in real trouble if they don't shore up their QBing. They have enough talent on that team to do well with steady QB play. Play you don't expect and rarely get from rookies, let alone rookies not looked upon as a franchise player. Is there back-up Some other Palmer and Dan LeFevour? Ouch, Supposedly he has a good head on his shoulders and an accurate arm, but unless Dalton goes all Roadhouse the Bengals could find that pain does hurt.

Have to agree with that - Think Dalton has an extremely high ceiling in dynasty leagues though.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:10 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
moochman wrote:Has there ever been a time where so many teams have such weakness at the most important position?

Have to agree with that - Think Dalton has an extremely high ceiling in dynasty leagues though.

Hope you're right since I drafted him. ;-D

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby biju » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:05 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:

A high ceiling? Eeeks. This was a particularly weak QB class and because of the lack of FA some teams grabbed QBs too high. I think Cincinnati is really going to be in trouble and need to re-address the QB space soon. Maybe I'll be wrong...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk