Return Yardage Scoring? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Return Yardage Scoring?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Return Yardage Scoring?

Postby DemonDeacon » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:20 am

Looking to add a new element to a league and was wondering what some of you guys are doing for return yardage. I'm thinking 1pt per 20 or 25 yards? My league is pretty much standard ppr with the exception that I give 3 bonus points for 100yds rush/rec (have them combined as well so if a player gets 50yds rush and 50rec he still gets bonus) and at 300yds passing. 6 pts all tds. Thanks in advance!
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Return Yardage Scoring?

Postby WaCougMBS » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:33 pm

I like 1 pt/25 yards, though I've played with as few as 10 (terrible idea) or as many as 50 (not bad, but doesn't boost those return guys much other than in super deep leagues). Is this an IDP league, or are you just thinking of using it as a boost for RBs/WRs with return skills/opportunities?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

i'm not really a fan of scoring return yards, but i think 1pt/25 is the "standard"
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DemonDeacon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Im looking to just add another element of scoring to my league open up more options just to shake things up a bit. I like the 25yds deal, im all for rewarding players for there jobs on the field. We had a bonus for 100yds rush or recieving but i just changed it to 100 combined yards rush/rec to give recieving rbs extra points. I hated it when my rbs would get 90ish yds rushing and then some rec yds and miss out on the 100yd bonus just because they werent all rush or rec yds.
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:10 am

I have a league that rewards for return yards and I do it the same as passing yds 1 point per 30 yards. I find that to be ideal and not too generous
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Never been a fan of the return yardage. If I did have to play - I would perfer the 1/25 :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Cockfighters » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:53 am

We do 1 point per 14 yards punt return and 1 point per 33 yards kick return. Return TDs are the same as rushing and pass-catching TDs.

We came up with these numbers for return yards because we wanted the average punt return to get about the same number of points as the average kick return, not including TDs, and that's how the 2009 numbers worked out across all 32 teams. For 2010, the numbers would work out so that we should've done 1 point per 14 punt return yards and 1 point per 32 kick return yards, but I forgot to fix it.

You could move both up or down in proportion and keep the average points per return equivalency, but we set ours so that both end up also being equivalent to the average number of points WRs get for the average passing attempt (and we give 1 point per 10 yards for receiving yards). Not sure why exactly we pin both return yards things to average yards per pass attempt, but doing it that way seems to result in a pretty good balance being struck between not having return yards turning a player who is normally nothing into a great fantasy player and making return yards something you have to think about.

Last year across all 32 teams the average kick return was 22.39 yards, the average punt return was 9.85 yards, and the average yards gained per pass attempt was 7.01.

I would be reluctant, as a commissioner, to use return yards at a website that did not allow differentiation of punt returns and kick returns (but I would still want return TDs at such a website). As compared to punt returns, your average kick return basically includes an automatic 18 or 19 yards.

Thanks,
OOFFL Commissioner
Cockfighters
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Commissioner's Corner