Annual keeper seeking advice needed - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions

Annual keeper seeking advice needed

Moderator: Football Moderators

Annual keeper seeking advice needed

Postby Shaffe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:06 am

I'm in a keep seven, 10 team, h2h league with standard scoring. Here's my roster as of the end of last year:

QB - Ryan, Bradford
WR - Maclin, Mike Williams, Mike Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Johnny Knox, Mike Thomas, Nate Washington
RB - Hillis, Bradshaw, Fred Jackson, Marshawn Lynch
TE - Gonzalez
K/D - who cares

Right now I've got Ryan, Maclin, Williams, Wallace, Hillis, Bradshaw, and Fred Jackson. The only guys I'd also consider would be Bradford, Holmes (probably #1 on this list), and Knox. My big thing really is Fred Jackson. I'm not sure if he's worth a spot or not but I'm awfully thin at RB. I really need to make a move for one stud but getting guys like that is tough to do.

Thoughts? Would you go with that 7 or sub in somebody else for Jackson? Would you keep Ryan or draft a QB? Many thanks in advance for any advice. WHIR.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Annual keeper seeking advice needed

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:35 am

I would probably keep Bradford over Jackson and be done with your QB's unless you see some value late in the draft. This is a togh one.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bungle613 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Ryan
Maclin
Williams
Wallace
Holmes
Bradshaw
Hillis

I don't see Jackson ever starting for you as you will probably still use your first pick on a RB. Those 4 WR's are starters.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shaffe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like maybe Jackson needs to hit the block for Holmes or Bradford.

I forgot to mention we start 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, and one W/R flex - if that matters.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby m16a » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:30 pm

bungle613 wrote:Ryan
Maclin
Williams
Wallace
Holmes
Bradshaw
Hillis

I don't see Jackson ever starting for you as you will probably still use your first pick on a RB. Those 4 WR's are starters.

I like bungle's list here. You've got four startable WRs and two solid backup RBs. Ryan is young and talented and has plenty of weapons around him. Can't ask for much more than that. THe advantage of keeping all four of those WRs is you can start em all, or draft a first round RB and have a little WR depth. Either way, you're in a decent position.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:08 am

I agree with the others, keep the 4 WRs for sure. Sometimes you can talk yourself into making bad keeper decisions by justifying valuing the apparent "need" over the actual value of players. In the end, unless you have no trades in your league ever, it is going to be almost universally more beneficial for you to keep the players with the highest actual value instead of keeping someone like Fred Jackson who is nothing more than a periodic fill-in type of guy anyway. As far as value goes, Holmes absolutely skies above the other options you have so you keep him and you'll have some nice WR trade bait once the season gets underway.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TexasBornCowboysFan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:11 am

m16a wrote:
Maclin
Williams
Wallace
Holmes
Bradshaw
Hillis

I like bungle's list here. You've got four startable WRs and two solid backup RBs. Ryan is young and talented and has plenty of weapons around him. Can't ask for much more than that. THe advantage of keeping all four of those WRs is you can start em all, or draft a first round RB and have a little WR depth. Either way, you're in a decent position.

I agree with the above. Jackson will probably last a few rounds in the draft so you should be able to pick him up if you don't like any of the rookies that are still available when your pick rolls around.
TexasBornCowboysFan
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby srlarson » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:09 am

To me it comes down to who can you get back or improve on.....

First I agree keeping your WR's is a must.....the other thought is would I keep Bradford over Bradshaw....not sure....
pluses - you would have two positions filled...but then leave a whole at Rb......the game is changing...with RB's getting less important....I really like Bradford....before he lost all his Wr's last year he was having a good year....and he made some average Wr's look real good....would be tempted to hold 2 your QB's.......

Just a contrarian view to the others for consideration.

SRL
srlarson
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Indibuck » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:30 am

m16a wrote:
Maclin
Williams
Wallace
Holmes
Bradshaw
Hillis

Another vote for the same 7. ;-D
Indibuck

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 157)

Postby Shaffe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks so much for the help, guys. You've officially talked me out of Jackson and into Holmes. I think Bradford over any of those other 6 is probably a bit too risky for me and I'll stick with Ryan over him. I've got the 7th pick so any really elite rookies won't be there but maybe I can get a good veteran RB and go from there. I can probably get Bradford back relatively easily, too. Wouldn't mind Jackson in the 3rd or 4th either.
Shaffe
Shaffe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Draft, Trade, & Waiver Questions