Excellent analysis of M Vick. Thoughts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Excellent analysis of M Vick. Thoughts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:50 pm

This was (I thought) a very good analysis of Michael Vick's prospects for next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/footb ... K2K11_vick

What do you think?
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 30)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Excellent analysis of M Vick. Thoughts?

Postby LMack » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:48 pm

I think if this is moved over to the Football Talk section of the forum it'd get a little more action.

Anywho, I think Harris summed it up best in this sentence "I think he'll be a top-five fantasy QB. But to be worthy of a first-round fantasy pick -- and to be worthy of the first overall fantasy pick, a notion I've heard floated by some this summer -- a player must boast an elite combination of steadiness, upside and safety. I don't think Vick is there"

I'd say Vick has steadiness to some degree. Even on games where Vick is not passing successfully, he is able to run for some value. It is hard to completely keep him off the board, unlike some pure passers such as Brees. When Brees got shut down in 2010, he put up numbers in the low teens. Vick getting shut out was around 20 points. Standard scoring wise at least.

Upside, well Vick has plenty. I don't think I need to write anything about that.

Which brings us to safety. It is hard to justify taking a player in the first round (a QB of all positions) who is such an injury risk. Missing an average of 3 games a season is simply too much for the first player on your team. Vick may play 16 games in 2011, but the chance he misses time is too much of a threat. A lack of safety totally negates any upside or steadiness.

I'm not saying I would not draft Vick. In keeper leagues where I had a solid, safe base I would try to make a move for him to put my team over the top. In larger redraft leagues, Vick as a late first rounder after all the feature backs are gone makes sense too. I am going to play in about 4 leagues this year, and although I wouldn't shy away from drafting Vick, I'm not sure I will have him on any of my teams. I think that everyone will be too bullish on Vick for my taste.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:33 pm

This was (I thought) a very good analysis of Michael Vick's prospects for next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/footb ... K2K11_vick

What do you think?
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby m16a » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Jimi,

In the future, if you wish to boost discussion of your post, you may bump the topic with a post. Please try not to post it a second time. Thanks.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby JimiRayThunderaxe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Didn't realize it was already posted in this Forum. When I checked it tonight in the Draft, Trade, Keepers forum where I originally posted it, LMack suggested that this was the better forum so I posted it here. Didn't see that LMack had moved it here until it was too late.
JimiRayThunderaxe
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk