Welcome to the league! ;-D
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: League Discussion

Postby Devil Doc » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks for the invite, everything looks good to me. Some really deep rosters, especially at RB, and with 14 guys, this is gonna be a tough league. Even tougher this year with the abscence of OTA's and training camps....can't wait to start drafting!

BTW, are we coming up with team names, or we just going with our Cafe names?
Thanks to Franchise Fan for this kick ass sig!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 92)

Postby iamgregg » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Devil Doc wrote:Thanks for the invite, everything looks good to me. Some really deep rosters, especially at RB, and with 14 guys, this is gonna be a tough league. Even tougher this year with the abscence of OTA's and training camps....can't wait to start drafting!

I've been meaning to bring this up actually. An idea I had/shamelessly stole to make the league a little more immersive was to have NFL style team names, i.e. hometown/state/country followed by a nickname.

A nice little touch that makes the league look that little bit more legit. What does everyone think?
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Devil Doc » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:30 pm

iamgregg wrote:
Devil Doc wrote:Thanks for the invite, everything looks good to me. Some really deep rosters, especially at RB, and with 14 guys, this is gonna be a tough league. Even tougher this year with the abscence of OTA's and training camps....can't wait to start drafting!

I've been meaning to bring this up actually. An idea I had/shamelessly stole to make the league a little more immersive was to have NFL style team names, i.e. hometown/state/country followed by a nickname.

A nice little touch that makes the league look that little bit more legit. What does everyone think?

I've played in a league that we did that, and even went as far as setting up the divisions based off our geographic locations.

I'm in total support of the idea! ;-D

I'm living in Goose Creek, SC (Suburb of Charleston), so I'll take on the Goose Creek Gators (also happens to be the local high school team).

Awesome idea!

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby EthnicFury » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 pm

Let's pencil me in as the Portland Pretentious Hipsters

Last edited by EthnicFury on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If somebody hits you with an object you should beat the hell out of them.-Charles Barkley
EthnicFury
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm

I live in the tiny town of Vulcan and we haven't had a football team for about 30 years when the high school decided to switch to rugby instead, but every team here in every sport at every level is called the Vulcan Hawks so I guess I'm stuck with that.

;-D

...and to he** with the Super Bowl - we need something even classier like the Toilet Bowl!!! :-B

;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:46 am

Proposal- rather than being randomly assigned a draft slot I'd prefer not to, how about we bid on them? The "money" could come from the blind-bid bucks. I'd hate to get stuck in a draft spot I don't like, or conversely get randomly awarded a good spot despite having nothing to do about it.

Alternately, we could do an auction for the startup of the draft. Same logic holds- I want my success (or failure) to be based on my drafting abilities. A randomly selected order for the startup draft will inevitably benefit certain owners and cripple others.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby EthnicFury » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:18 am

the problem is in a league that's gonna be this deep, the value of blind bid bucks pales in comparison to that of getting the startup pick you want. If traditional snake draft was a problem i'd be more a proponent of 3rd round reversal than bidding for slots (not saying we have to or planning to make a stink about it if not, just saying).
If somebody hits you with an object you should beat the hell out of them.-Charles Barkley
EthnicFury
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic

Postby Devil Doc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:38 am

Kareighuis wrote:Proposal- rather than being randomly assigned a draft slot I'd prefer not to, how about we bid on them? The "money" could come from the blind-bid bucks. I'd hate to get stuck in a draft spot I don't like, or conversely get randomly awarded a good spot despite having nothing to do about it.

Alternately, we could do an auction for the startup of the draft. Same logic holds- I want my success (or failure) to be based on my drafting abilities. A randomly selected order for the startup draft will inevitably benefit certain owners and cripple others.

I'd much rather have a randomly generated draft order to start off. Yeah it may suck getting slotted in some spots, but I think Im very good at drafting no matter where I'm put at. Not that people here aren't, I'm just sayin'. We got invited cause we da best! Regardless of where we are put in the order, nothing about this league is going to be easy, including the draft.

If anything, just KNOWING your draft order say a week before the draft would probably be very beneficial to us all, if that is all possible.

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Devil Doc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:44 am

When will we get the invite to fleaflicker?

Devil Doc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Cafe Very Special Forces