League Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Very Special Forces

League Discussion

Moderators: LS2throwed, iamgregg, Football Moderators

Re: League Discussion

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:19 am

You could always trade all your picks for all of someone else's picks. Or we could have the random order let people decide where they want to pick. For example person who draws 1 may decide to take picks 1.4/2.11.

We have so little time we can't do anything too complicated. Really I'd like to start drafting this weekend, or I'm going to turn into draft nanny pretty quickly.
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:27 am

thriftyrocker wrote:You could always trade all your picks for all of someone else's picks. Or we could have the random order let people decide where they want to pick. For example person who draws 1 may decide to take picks 1.4/2.11.

We have so little time we can't do anything too complicated. Really I'd like to start drafting this weekend, or I'm going to turn into draft nanny pretty quickly.

That's a reasonable alternative. How many people do we need?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby iamgregg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 am

We're at 8 people, I believe. I'll start follow up PMs to those who didn't respond and beg a little more to the one or two maybes I got.

Also, if anyone here knows people they believe to be a good fit, you should go ahead and invite them.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby iamgregg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:43 am

Regarding the draft, I agree with thrifty. I was aiming for the weekend to get going and that's really when we need to start.

I've only done one slow auction before, and had a look at how long it took. According to the transaction logs on MFL the first player was won on July 5 and the last player on July 28. We had to have started at least 24 hours before the first player was won and I'll add an extra other to account for bidding. We managed it in 25 days/ 3.5 weeks. This was a 16 team league with 30 player rosters and 5-player taxi squads. We should be able to get it done even quicker in a 14 team league.

I think an auction draft affords us more time, even more so if we use a 12 hour timer instead of 24. What does everyone think?

Edit: Also, I THINK we'd even be able to use MFL to draft as I believe the free trial accounts for off-season activities, but you just wouldn't be able to actually play in-season. The automation should make things more streamline and shave a bit off the time it would take.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:42 am

I've never done an auction draft for real, only in mocks and I screwed those up royally - but hey, whatever everyone wants.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby iamgregg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 am

stomperrob wrote:I've never done an auction draft for real, only in mocks and I screwed those up royally - but hey, whatever everyone wants.

I think the slow style would help. You have time to take a step back and really evaluate your options. I've only done mocks for live auctions and it's kind of a frenzy and didn't do well at all. But I did ok in my first slow mock.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am

iamgregg wrote:
stomperrob wrote:I've never done an auction draft for real, only in mocks and I screwed those up royally - but hey, whatever everyone wants.

I think the slow style would help. You have time to take a step back and really evaluate your options. I've only done mocks for live auctions and it's kind of a frenzy and didn't do well at all. But I did ok in my first slow mock.

I've never done one at all- real or mock. I'd probably screw my team up even worse. Despite that, I'd prefer my team to be screwed up because of what I did, rather than because of what some dumb-a$$ computer thought was a good random order.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:04 pm

I'm considering joining but I don't know about an auction, seems to me like your draft spot is just part of the challenge. And this being a very special dynasty league, you should be able to trade picks, no? But let me know when you guys figure that out. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby iamgregg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Of course, an auction is just an option. If it's a deal-breaker for people that would join otherwise then I won't force it.

I do think it gives us the best option to get a draft completed quickly though, especially as we don't get in the position of waiting around for people if they get caught busy.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Ive never done a slow style auction, only live. If you guys want to it's fine. I'd prefer the normal draft slotting, and just trading of picks. I don't think auction gives me the benefit of building my team how I may want to, for instance if I want to trade abck out of my first few picks for some future 2012 rookie picks, or vice versa. I'd be cool with just a random order.

Would also like to start drafting this weekend as well, and we may need to keep live drafting options for late August in our back pocket.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer