League Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Cafe Very Special Forces

League Discussion

Moderators: LS2throwed, iamgregg, Football Moderators

Re: League Discussion

Postby iamgregg » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:32 am

Wacoug is exactly correct. The lists you are sending in is simply a quicker way of getting the order then waiting in turns to pick a draft slow. If everyone sends in their preferences at the same time it should go along faster.

Once we have a random order we go down the list of players and everyone get's their highest ranked draft slot that is still available. This is your slot for the entire draft.

For example, if you get the #10 slot in 3RR you will draft: 10th, 5th, 5th, 10th, 5th, 10th etc.

Sorry for not being clearer!

Also, I will be getting an outside party to do the order so no worries there. ;-D
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 902
Joined: 8 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: UK

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:44 am

iamgregg wrote:If everyone sends in their preferences at the same time it should go along faster.


How close are we to this happening? Gotta get this puppy rollin'! :-]
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: League Discussion

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:00 pm

Clear as mud, but okay
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:59 pm

stomperrob wrote:Clear as mud, but okay


I'll take another crack ;-)

  • We're submitting a list of our preferred draft slots (1-14, in any order - i.e. 7, 12, 4, 3, 14, etc.) to greg, all while keeping in mind that when we draft, we'll be using the 3RR format.
  • This means that the third round of the draft is flipped from the usual serpentine order, while all other rounds are serpentine - so, the first 10 rounds look like this: 1-14, 14-1, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14.
  • Whatever slot end up with you'll pick there in the first round, then the opposite in the 2nd and 3rd before heading into a regular serpentine format for the rest of the draft (i.e. 1.03, 2.12, 3.12, 4.03, etc.).
  • The way we're randomizing the slot you end up with is a KDS (Kentucky Derby-like) approach, where a randomly generated list determines an order for draft slot selection.
  • So, if the order comes out something like: stomper, LS2, mattb, that means stomper gets the first choice on his list as his draft slot. Then LS2 gets his first choice, unless it has already been selected, in which case he gets the second choice on his list. Matt's list is cross-checked next and he gets his highest-ranked preferred slot, and so on through the 14th league member.
  • DRAFT!
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:01 pm

I was also thinking that since the inaugural draft is 3RR, we should probably clarify in the constitution that the subsequent rookie drafts will not be (as long as my assumption that it's not is correct) :-?
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: League Discussion

Postby EthnicFury » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 pm

i would certainly hope not. Rookie drafts don't snake either, right?
If somebody hits you with an object you should beat the hell out of them.-Charles Barkley
EthnicFury
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic
Posts: 686
Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Portland

Re: League Discussion

Postby Instinctive » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:16 pm

EthnicFury wrote:i would certainly hope not. Rookie drafts don't snake either, right?


I assume the rookie draft is NFL style.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1243
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: League Discussion

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:20 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Clear as mud, but okay


I'll take another crack ;-)

  • We're submitting a list of our preferred draft slots (1-14, in any order - i.e. 7, 12, 4, 3, 14, etc.) to greg, all while keeping in mind that when we draft, we'll be using the 3RR format.
  • This means that the third round of the draft is flipped from the usual serpentine order, while all other rounds are serpentine - so, the first 10 rounds look like this: 1-14, 14-1, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14.
  • Whatever slot end up with you'll pick there in the first round, then the opposite in the 2nd and 3rd before heading into a regular serpentine format for the rest of the draft (i.e. 1.03, 2.12, 3.12, 4.03, etc.).
  • The way we're randomizing the slot you end up with is a KDS (Kentucky Derby-like) approach, where a randomly generated list determines an order for draft slot selection.
  • So, if the order comes out something like: stomper, LS2, mattb, that means stomper gets the first choice on his list as his draft slot. Then LS2 gets his first choice, unless it has already been selected, in which case he gets the second choice on his list. Matt's list is cross-checked next and he gets his highest-ranked preferred slot, and so on through the 14th league member.
  • DRAFT!




This is a great way to explain it, because I was confused on it also until Gregg explained it again. I was wondering why a random order even mattered if we listed our options, but it's basically just a random order selected to pick what draft slot you want. I just hope it gets knocked out by this afternoon so we can do a few picks 2day at least :-b I'm hoping we can fly through at least the early rounds.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: League Discussion

Postby EthnicFury » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Is there any way to create a thread only viewable by league members? I'm thinking we should have a "if the league is ever waiting on me for a pick/poll response/whatever" reference list of quickest contact info to reach each other, but I don't really feel like posting my cell number on an open unrestricted message board (and I figure some others won't either)
If somebody hits you with an object you should beat the hell out of them.-Charles Barkley
EthnicFury
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic
Posts: 686
Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Portland

Re: League Discussion

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:13 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Clear as mud, but okay


I'll take another crack ;-)

  • We're submitting a list of our preferred draft slots (1-14, in any order - i.e. 7, 12, 4, 3, 14, etc.) to greg, all while keeping in mind that when we draft, we'll be using the 3RR format.
  • This means that the third round of the draft is flipped from the usual serpentine order, while all other rounds are serpentine - so, the first 10 rounds look like this: 1-14, 14-1, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14, 14-1, 1-14.
  • Whatever slot end up with you'll pick there in the first round, then the opposite in the 2nd and 3rd before heading into a regular serpentine format for the rest of the draft (i.e. 1.03, 2.12, 3.12, 4.03, etc.).
  • The way we're randomizing the slot you end up with is a KDS (Kentucky Derby-like) approach, where a randomly generated list determines an order for draft slot selection.
  • So, if the order comes out something like: stomper, LS2, mattb, that means stomper gets the first choice on his list as his draft slot. Then LS2 gets his first choice, unless it has already been selected, in which case he gets the second choice on his list. Matt's list is cross-checked next and he gets his highest-ranked preferred slot, and so on through the 14th league member.
  • DRAFT!




This is a great way to explain it, because I was confused on it also until Gregg explained it again. I was wondering why a random order even mattered if we listed our options, but it's basically just a random order selected to pick what draft slot you want. I just hope it gets knocked out by this afternoon so we can do a few picks 2day at least :-b I'm hoping we can fly through at least the early rounds.


Ah, now I get it - my aged brain needs it spelled out like this for it to sink in! Just remember to always type slow 'cause I don't read very fast!!!
:-B ;-) :-b
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 138)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Very Special Forces

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 9:34 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact