League Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cafe Very Special Forces

League Discussion

Moderators: LS2throwed, iamgregg, Football Moderators

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:53 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Ive never done a slow style auction, only live. If you guys want to it's fine. I'd prefer the normal draft slotting, and just trading of picks. I don't think auction gives me the benefit of building my team how I may want to, for instance if I want to trade abck out of my first few picks for some future 2012 rookie picks, or vice versa. I'd be cool with just a random order.

Would also like to start drafting this weekend as well, and we may need to keep live drafting options for late August in our back pocket.

Thinking about joining after reading over things, as I am also in the boat of not having started a dynasty in like 5 years and I took over a ruined team in my other Cafe dynasty. I'm also against any auction format, both because of the time constraints and how out of touch I am with auctions (prolly been like 6-7 years since I did a football auction, and that wasn't a 14-team dynasty) ...

As for the draft slots, I'm all for leaving things up to a randomizer and then trading picks at will after that. I haven't done the 3rd-round swap, but have been interested in it for a while - what does it entail again? Switching directions after or before the 3rd round?

I might need some final decisions on the above before I can commit either way, but I went from "I don't have enough time" to being "on the fence", so I'm on the right track :-b
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:58 pm

3RR is:

Team one picks 1st in round 1, last in rounds 2 and 3. First in round 4, last in 5, first in 6, last in 7, etc

Personally never done the 3RR.

If were just doing a draft I liked the idea of choosing our spots. I did it with Any Given Dynasty when it started. Went through the random generator, got a "picking order" who ever got 1 chose their draft slot, 2nd got to choose from the remaining eleven. Priority was also trade-able. But no one took advantage :-C
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:05 pm

aaawall91 wrote:3RR is:

Team one picks 1st in round 1, last in rounds 2 and 3. First in round 4, last in 5, first in 6, last in 7, etc

Personally never done the 3RR.

If were just doing a draft I liked the idea of choosing our spots. I did it with Any Given Dynasty when it started. Went through the random generator, got a "picking order" who ever got 1 chose their draft slot, 2nd got to choose from the remaining eleven. Priority was also trade-able. But no one took advantage :-C

I like this idea, A LOT, and would be on board if we did this, thus eliminating the auction possibility, etc. I think I like the idea of 3RR, but I could go either way with the majority on that one - all this said, I need a handfull of hours to marinate on this, but I think you can lightly pencil me in at this point ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Instinctive » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:52 pm

If we are going to mess with the draft type, FBG just put up articles...I would say flipping just the third round appears to be the "most fair" route.

This is the one specific to 14 team leagues.
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2011/11pasquino_3rr14.php
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Banaza!
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby iamgregg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Some great data, hard to dispute really. I agree that 3RF seems the right way to go ;-D

Also, I should address something Ethnic Fury said in the check in thread.

EthnicFury wrote:In (pending the results of Gregg's and my discussion).

I've gotta say, I'm pretty pumped about this league concept.

After inviting him, we had a back and forth via email where he brought up legitimate concerns about the rules being set in stone for this season but could possible change beginning next year. He was worried that changes he found significant might be seen as less so than others and thus rule changes passing that adversely affects his previous drafting/roster building strategy. A very understandable concern.

Leads me to think that maybe we should hold some quick Polls while we check in to determine key rules. Specifically PPR (0.5 or 1) and QB TDs (4 or 6).

Alternatively, we just all sound off now that we're happy with the scoring rules as they are and should just not tinker with key points in future seasons.

Edit: I will note now that there was a specific reason for QB TDs being 6. It creates a bit of a PPG gap between the elite and the rest making owning a top QB pretty important, adding to the challenge of a 14 team league where it's even harder to get one.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Instinctive » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:37 pm

QB TDs should definitely be 6. I have always found it somewhat idiotic that something worth 6 for everyone else is worth only 4 for one position...

I'd vote for 0.5 ppr for RBs and 1 for WR/TEs, or 0.5 ppr for all.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:38 pm

I quite like the idea of having a random picking order as mentioned where the random generator simply makes an order for us to choose which spot we would like. Tradeable, as aaawall mentioned.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:45 pm

I vote for .5 PPR an 4-point QB touchdowns. The first I'm firm on and almost brought up myself, the second I would gladly defer to a majority on the other side ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Postby EthnicFury » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:50 pm

I like .5 ppr and 4 pt QB TDs myself. And no friggin kickers, kickers are stupid. I'm of the opinion that kicker performance year to year is almost random, and I prefer emphasizing skill over randomness (I also like VP systems for this reason, but I digress).

On the other hand, in a 14 team league, IF you have 6 pt QB TDs, THEN I think you might need to have full PPR. Otherwise it just becomes a 'who has the best qb' league.

I also like 3RR
If somebody hits you with an object you should beat the hell out of them.-Charles Barkley
EthnicFury
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Very Special Forces