League Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Cafe Very Special Forces

League Discussion

Moderators: LS2throwed, iamgregg, Football Moderators

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:59 pm

Personally I'm not a fan of the take-it-or-leave-it rules, especially when we don't yet have a full league.

I'd much rather have 4-pt TDs so that we can have .5 PPR, which I think is by far superior, "normal" or not. I am a fan of joining this league for the depth, membership, start frin scratch, etc. but I have to admit that it's skirting the line of trying too hard to be "different" and come off as overly "elite". I've played in leagues where that's been the central - and sometimes only - focus and it doesn't end well. We all know it's an elite league filled with knowledgeable guys, and every league is different - we can do a lot of things like the weekly article ideas, etc. to stand out without coming across as so rigid in pre-original-draft rules and whatnot. Yes, you're the founders and you had an idea. Yes, we're joining "your" league. But at the same time I'm not a fan of ignoring the majority to stick to a pre-canned plan of action.

I don't think we should open up each and every rule to the nitpicks of individuals, but if a majority/overwhelming majority want to change an easy-to-fix scoring rule with a pretty decent effect I don't see a problem with that ...

Just my $0.02 :-?
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: League Discussion

Postby Instinctive » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:03 pm

I'm ok with the original rules.

I think the ability to have a 3/4 majority to change something in the future is somethign we could consider adding?
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 1243
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: League Discussion

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 pm

I was just concerned due to time, I was wanting to do this league and was looking at the time thinking it be cutting it really close. I was just thinking it be faster for the 1st year to roll as is, then vote in the off-season. Because I'd need to see rules set in stone before I drafted, and I already don't think we'll get in 25 rounds by September. It certainly wasn't a diplomacy thing or anything, just was afraid of waiting even a few more weeks to start drafting and we know we won't finish in time.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I was just concerned due to time, I was wanting to do this league and was looking at the time thinking it be cutting it really close. I was just thinking it be faster for the 1st year to roll as is, then vote in the off-season. Because I'd need to see rules set in stone before I drafted, and I already don't think we'll get in 25 rounds by September. It certainly wasn't a diplomacy thing or anything, just was afraid of waiting even a few more weeks to start drafting and we know we won't finish in time.


I hear ya. I just don't think it's an issue to the extent greg implied above. I was saying I don't think we need to be that rigid with 10-11 owners committed, etc. Now if some people sit on the opposite side and want to leave because of changing the rules then we'd understandably have a conundrum on our hands, but if it's more for expediency of starting a draft that literally can't start yet, then I say we get as much "right" as we can now instead of relying on making changes in the offseason :-?
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: League Discussion

Postby EthnicFury » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Until we're full, I don't particularly feel like time discussing the rules is time wasted (as we're not drafting anyhow).

If it's 6 pt passing td and full PPR, that's OK I guess (I do strongly prefer the other way), but as I discussed with Gregg, what's non-negotiable (in terms of my interest in playing in the league) is that those are the types of things that cannot change in the offseason. DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to be a jerk here or call anyone out (and this isn't responding to any one post specifically, the mention of changing just brought it to top of mind), but I feel strongly about this so I'm going to speak frankly. I don't really care how large a majority it is, if I draft with one scoring system in mind (especially something as significant as 6 pt passing TD which pushes the value of elite QBs way up, especially in a 14 teamer) and spend a high first on an elite QB, and then in the offseason it goes to 4 pt passing TDs and all of a sudden hindsight says I should have spent it on a back or WR, that's not acceptable to me.

Especially in a league of fairly dedicated, elite owners...i'd think the amount of time and strategy we're each going to put into the draft dictates that rules which directly effect the value of one main position vs. another (and thus draft strategy) demands that those kinds of rules be set before the draft so that we can each go in knowing what we want to do.
If somebody hits you with an object you should beat the hell out of them.-Charles Barkley
EthnicFury
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic
Posts: 686
Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Portland

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:32 pm

EthnicFury wrote:Until we're full, I don't particularly feel like time discussing the rules is time wasted (as we're not drafting anyhow).

If it's 6 pt passing td and full PPR, that's OK I guess (I do strongly prefer the other way), but as I discussed with Gregg, what's non-negotiable (in terms of my interest in playing in the league) is that those are the types of things that cannot change in the offseason. DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to be a jerk here or call anyone out (and this isn't responding to any one post specifically, the mention of changing just brought it to top of mind), but I feel strongly about this so I'm going to speak frankly. I don't really care how large a majority it is, if I draft with one scoring system in mind (especially something as significant as 6 pt passing TD which pushes the value of elite QBs way up, especially in a 14 teamer) and spend a high first on an elite QB, and then in the offseason it goes to 4 pt passing TDs and all of a sudden hindsight says I should have spent it on a back or WR, that's not acceptable to me.

Especially in a league of fairly dedicated, elite owners...i'd think the amount of time and strategy we're each going to put into the draft dictates that rules which directly effect the value of one main position vs. another (and thus draft strategy) demands that those kinds of rules be set before the draft so that we can each go in knowing what we want to do.


Agreed, though I don't think anyone was pushing for voting on changes to scoring system down the road, etc. If they were I missed it, because it's part of the reason I've been pushing for flexibility and majority rule right now (while we're not full, etc.) instead of dreaming on just going with this system put in place by 2 of us and then changing things via majority rule in future offseasons ...
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: League Discussion

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:33 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:I was just concerned due to time, I was wanting to do this league and was looking at the time thinking it be cutting it really close. I was just thinking it be faster for the 1st year to roll as is, then vote in the off-season. Because I'd need to see rules set in stone before I drafted, and I already don't think we'll get in 25 rounds by September. It certainly wasn't a diplomacy thing or anything, just was afraid of waiting even a few more weeks to start drafting and we know we won't finish in time.


I hear ya. I just don't think it's an issue to the extent greg implied above. I was saying I don't think we need to be that rigid with 10-11 owners committed, etc. Now if some people sit on the opposite side and want to leave because of changing the rules then we'd understandably have a conundrum on our hands, but if it's more for expediency of starting a draft that literally can't start yet, then I say we get as much "right" as we can now instead of relying on making changes in the offseason :-?


I agree, I'm flexible on literally everything, I just didn't want anything that would make some guys back out. Other then that trust me I'll play and be good with it ;-D As EF said as long as we know what were going into the draft with I'll be good to go.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:37 pm

Also, have we decided for sure how we're going to choose draft slots? Randomly generated list creates order and then we pick our picks before starting the draft sounded like close to a consensus, but then it kind of died off as the scoring discussion has taken over ...
Image
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8164
Joined: 29 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: New to the "block"

Re: League Discussion

Postby EthnicFury » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:41 pm

I like random drawing for first pick of slot as well. Adds a nice wrinkle (especially in 3RR)
If somebody hits you with an object you should beat the hell out of them.-Charles Barkley
EthnicFury
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic
Posts: 686
Joined: 26 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Portland

Re: League Discussion

Postby iamgregg » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 pm

Ok, Wacoug, you make excellent points.

Really, more than anything it kind of made me realise that this is a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things. We have a chance of having an AWESOME league so I'm not going to ruin that by being too rigid on the rules ;-D

So .5 PPR and 4pt Pass TDs cool with everyone?

And EF, I'm with you that these are rules that won't be changed in future offseasons.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 902
Joined: 8 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Very Special Forces

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 23:43 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact