Biggest fantasy preseason ranking leap ever? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Biggest fantasy preseason ranking leap ever?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Biggest fantasy preseason ranking leap ever?

Postby thriftyrocker » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:40 pm

daullaz wrote:Larry Johnson was a guy that "came out of nowhere" to be in consideration for top overall player the next year, even though he did have a little bit of buzz as a guy that could excel if he picked up the playing time.

Larry Johnson was a 1st round pick. He didn't come out of nowhere.

Priest Holmes more came out of nowhere. He went from 2nd string behind Jamal Lewis, to cheap FA acquisition, to NFL's leading rusher in one season.

Code: Select all
2001    Kansas City Chiefs    16    16    327    1,555    4.8    41    8    62    614    9.9    67T    2    4    3
2000    Baltimore Ravens    16    2    137    588    4.3    21    2    32    221    6.9    27    0    2    1
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Venom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:22 pm

Aside from actually digging up the facts I am sure Marion Barber jumped from nowhere in 2006 to prime time in 2007 if I remember correctly.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby LMack » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Sex Panther wrote:Arian Foster...

Gamble pick last year, consensus #1 this year.

Depends when you were drafting. Tate was hurt during the Texans' first preseason game. If you drafted after that, Foster was leading the hype train.
LMack
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 32)

Postby Instinctive » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:04 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:
daullaz wrote:Larry Johnson was a guy that "came out of nowhere" to be in consideration for top overall player the next year, even though he did have a little bit of buzz as a guy that could excel if he picked up the playing time.

Priest Holmes more came out of nowhere. He went from 2nd string behind Jamal Lewis, to cheap FA acquisition, to NFL's leading rusher in one season.

2001    Kansas City Chiefs    16    16    327    1,555    4.8    41    8    62    614    9.9    67T    2    4    3
2000    Baltimore Ravens    16    2    137    588    4.3    21    2    32    221    6.9    27    0    2    1

He came out of nowhere in Fantasy...he went from being a promising backup for the best RB in the league to a monster workhorse and #1 overall pick.

Way higher jump than Foster made last season, ADP wise, season to season.
Fourth and Inches (Dynasty)
Zealots: 4, 39, 56
Cafe Very Special Forces (Dynasty)
General Manager Wannabees
Frozen Tundra (Dynasty)
Instinctive
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafeholic

Postby biju » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:02 pm

To go the homer route, I would have to say that Mike Williams has done a rather good job from last year to this year as well. Here's a guy who most people had completely written off as being out of the NFL. Then it was expected that he was camp fodder and would be cut before the final 53. Then, he was expected to make the roster but be purely depth. Suddenly he was in the starting lineup but expected to be too out of the game to effectively contribute.

Mike Williams had 65 catches for 751 yards and 2 TDs last year despite missing 3 games to injury. He's currently being projected for an ADP of WR35, a low end WR3, for the 201 fantasy season. From out of the NFL to fantasy starting WR is pretty decent IMO.

Go Seahawks! :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby daullaz » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Instinctive wrote:
thriftyrocker wrote:

He came out of nowhere in Fantasy...he went from being a promising backup for the best RB in the league to a monster workhorse and #1 overall pick.

Way higher jump than Foster made last season, ADP wise, season to season.

Right, we're talking about biggest fantasy ranking leap. Johnson was a No. 2 RB with upside buried in the draft one year and a top-three guy the next. Arian Foster, by comparison, went from being a no name with just one big Week 17 performance to a 4th-5th round pick, THEN had his breakthrough and is now the No. 1 pick. While it's a great story, jumping from a 4th rounder to a top overall pick isn't that rare. I think I remember Adrian Peterson in that range his rookie season.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:46 pm

Doubtful that there is as big a leap as Vick going for parole to the penthouse. He had impact and positional scarcity to propel him to such a high ranking this season.
Legarrette Blount will be drafted quite a bit higher than last season, where he was a free agent in most leagues.
Colston was only drafted because he had TE elitibility in his rookie season. What about Favre after unretirement number 2..or was it 3?
More importantly, who will we say this about next season?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby spodog » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:03 am

moochman wrote:Legarrette Blount will be drafted quite a bit higher than last season, where he was a free agent in most leagues.

Agree with this one, except I excluded rookies moving into year 2 from my original question.

Interestingly, Blount was not only ignored in fantasy drafts, he was shunned in the NFL draft as well due to his tendency to punch guys in the face. The true definition of risk/reward last year with this guy!
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:36 pm

daullaz wrote:Right, we're talking about biggest fantasy ranking leap. Johnson was a No. 2 RB with upside buried in the draft one year and a top-three guy the next. Arian Foster, by comparison, went from being a no name with just one big Week 17 performance to a 4th-5th round pick, THEN had his breakthrough and is now the No. 1 pick. While it's a great story, jumping from a 4th rounder to a top overall pick isn't that rare. I think I remember Adrian Peterson in that range his rookie season.

I think you guys are badly mis-remembering how Larry Johnson was valued in the season before his breakout.

LJ was the #1 pick in 2006. In 2005, he was a consensus 5th rounder, just like Foster was last year. He was certainly not "buried in the draft" any more than Foster was.

Do you guys not remember the 80 page long threads we had back in 2005 arguing who should be the #1 between Priest and LT, with the main argument in LT's favor being that you'd have to use your 5th round pick on LJ if you drafted Priest?

And I can't recall his exact ADP, but I'm pretty sure LJ was a 2nd rounder in dynasty leagues that year too. Opinions about LJ back then were similar to what they've been to Jonathan Stewart the last few years. He certainly was not "buried".
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:41 pm

moochman wrote:What about Favre after unretirement number 2..or was it 3?

Favre is a great one. I remember a few trades prior to that year where people tried to throw Favre in and I wouldn't even take him because I didn't think he was worth the roster spot.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk